Michael Essien

LDN Blue

I think he could be a decent squad player for us next season, as an auxiliary right-back or deep-lying midfielder.

I rather he would leave to make way for a younger player like Ake or Chalobah to have that role and start gradually becoming regulars in the first team.

I just hope that Jose, if he really is coming, does not see him as the solution to our pivot problems, because if he does, we are screwed. I agree with TOPTB, now is the perfect time to cut our losses and sell Essien.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Jose will defo bring him back here. Has been decent at Real. Hopefully if he comes back, Jose can get him playing back or at least near his best again. Excellent game today.

Blimey. People seem to be getting carried away here because of one good performance against a bottom 5 team in La Liga. He's still decent but will be nothing more than a squad player, if anything.

When he was in his prime, but in his last couple of years with us I remember people on this board moaning about ho much of a liability he was and demanded that Alex was first choice CB with Terry.

Remember he is going back to a club he worked with for the first time and will have a squad with a few players (Lampard, Essien) who seem to have a never ending hard on from him.You seen Lampard arrogantly claim how much he would love Mourinho to come back. Because he knows he will basically be the focus of the teams tactics again out of blind love and sentimentality

I doubt it, he hardly ever got in midfield at Madrid, used mainly at RB because Arbeloa is shit

If Mourinho was as sentimental as you think, then he would have asked for Paulo's contract to be extended no? Speaking of Paulo he actually put him up for sale in summer 2007, i remember him saying one of three players was leaving before the end of the transfer window Paulo, Johnson or i can't remember the other one, Johnson was the one who eventually left.

Also i thought Carvalho played well in his first season at Madrid, not the world beater he was 04-08 but he did allright, in the second season his performances nosedived and was rightfully dropped.

Mourinho seem's to want Modric and De Rossi, do you think he would play Lampard and Essien if he signs those two? absolutely no way. Lampard will be used like Scholes from now on and Essien (at best) will cover at RB when Azpi needs a rest.

I doubt it, he hardly ever got in midfield at Madrid, used mainly at RB because Arbeloa is shit

If Mourinho was as sentimental as you think, then he would have asked for Paulo's contract to be extended no? Speaking of Paulo he actually put him up for sale in summer 2007, i remember him saying one of three players was leaving before the end of the transfer window Paulo, Johnson or i can't remember the other one, Johnson was the one who eventually left.

Also i thought Carvalho played well in his first season at Madrid, not the world beater he was 04-08 but he did allright, in the second season his performances nosedived and was rightfully dropped.

Mourinho seem's to want Modric and De Rossi, do you think he would play Lampard and Essien if he signs those two? absolutely no way. Lampard will be used like Scholes from now on and Essien (at best) will cover at RB when Azpi needs a rest.

I'd rather see Chelsea let go of Essien.

I don't understand why people are saying things like ''cut our losses''......... what losses ? He along with Carvalho, Maka,Terry, Lampard, Cech and Drogba was part of our golden age we got our 24 million back and more from signing him. He got unlucky with 2 horrible knee injuries and we can't do anything about that. We should sell him though as he is finished !

Lol'd hard when he ran to Jose after he scored just so that Jose would love him even more so that he'd be in the starting 11 next season, get lost already.

Seriously are you that bigger c**t - to not wish Essien a decent servant of our club a moment of happiness?

This guy done a lot for the club and the way people speak him is really bad!

#sad_day

Seriously are you that bigger c**t - to not wish Essien a decent servant of our club a moment of happiness?

This guy done a lot for the club and the way people speak him is really bad!

#sad_day

he has served the club well, but it's time to move on