Michael Essien

LDN Blue

Much rather buy a DM that actually has knee caps.

The thing with buying a new DM is that we won't need him till the middle of Feb when Mikel returns and possibly till the end of the season for cover. But come next season, we will have a great DM who is approaching his peak and a good young DM who could become great. Would be pointless to have a third.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I thought he was Madrid's best or 2nd best player at worst (Varane got my MOTM cause of the goal) against Barca. I figure he himself doesn't want to play here otherwise I'd never understand the rationale behind his loan. I mean he's not good enough but surely he would have provided some much needed depth to our squad.

Yeah, I thought he was Madrid's best or 2nd best player at worst (Varane got my MOTM cause of the goal) against Barca. I figure he himself doesn't want to play here otherwise I'd never understand the rationale behind his loan. I mean he's not good enough but surely he would have provided some much needed depth to our squad.

Mourinho called and he didn't think twice. Don't you remember his press conference where he called Jose 'Daddy'. :D

BTW there was this one shoulder charge by Essien on Messi last night. Boy, that was one 'Bison' charge.

had a great impact last game.he still got it

Even though he was playing RB, he did have a great game. Real's best chances came through Essien.

Still do think Varane deserved the MOTM though, he was brilliant, especially considering it was his first El Classico.

No Varane was MOTM because he had Messi in his back pocket all night!

Mourinho called and he didn't think twice. Don't you remember his press conference where he called Jose 'Daddy'. :D

BTW there was this one shoulder charge by Essien on Messi last night. Boy, that was one 'Bison' charge.

That to me was the cutest thing, calling your coach 'daddy' :P This guy really is nice, he even postponed his wedding for a game!

And about that shoulder charge, it was quite a one. For a second I thought the ref's gonna show him a straight red.

I can't believe with all the central midfield problems we have got at the moment he hasn't been recalled. He is a starter for madrid ffs, he would walk into our team, so why the hell are we loaning him?

Essien and Lampard is 10 times better than rambo and lampard in the pivot.

I can't believe with all the central midfield problems we have got at the moment he hasn't been recalled. He is a starter for madrid ffs, he would walk into our team, so why the hell are we loaning him?

Essien and Lampard is 10 times better than rambo and lampard in the pivot.

He only starts when they need someone to fill in the full back positions, had a good game against Barca but from what I have heard has been very inconsistent. If we are going to bring another midfielder in (unlikely unfortunatly) then someone like Fellaini would be a better option.

He only starts when they need someone to fill in the full back positions, had a good game against Barca but from what I have heard has been very inconsistent. If we are going to bring another midfielder in (unlikely unfortunatly) then someone like Fellaini would be a better option.

Of course, i have no doubt fellaini would be better than essien, but my point is we own essien and have him if we want him, wheras we don't have fellaini, and don't even look close. So when we are in need of help in the holding positions why not recall him. He would be useful cover and is better defensively than lampy and rambo.

Messi got owned by The Bison!

I love it, absolutely love it. I'd like to think he put a bit of extra effort and muscle into that, just for us!

I don't know about you guys, but after watching that a few times, I see a guy who had the ability to keep pace with Messi; Ok, Messi is running at more of an angle, but Essien started running, practically, at a standing position - while Messi was already in full motion...with our current DM problems, I don't know why he's in Madrid right now to be honest.

Fellaini-25-30M pounds or so. Essien-free. We need a long-term central midfielder for sure (and to me Fellaini isn't that guy), but Essien would have been a very useful player for us for this season. You think about yesterday's game. He could have started and given Lampard or Ramires a rest. He could have come on as a great defensive sub later on for one of them..

The problem with Essien is that for the last four years, he simply hasn't been the player we all seem to remember him as. The guy played less than 22 games in three of the last four years, suffered two really bad injuries, struggled with form and still made around £100k p/w. This move might reinvigorate him and he might still be able to do a job for us, or he might simply be a more sellable commodity after a season in the shop window.

But I don't think anyone knew what to expect from him this season in terms of fitness, so offloading a few million pounds of wages onto another team probably made sense in the grand scheme of things. Without David Luiz and Mikel, he does seem remarkably attractive right now though.

• 4 weeks later...

I would give anything to have him back in his prime, ANYTHING, my favourite all time player at Chelsea.

Not just his abillity his attitude, this guy donates shit load to charity but doesn't brag about it, it's like a casual thing for him, he's also a very nice person, always smiling, doesn't fight or have an attitude on the pitch.

Not like bully boy Roy Keane or anything, Dennis Wise was also a prick on the pitch, just to be fair with the arguement.