Ashley Cole

Madmax

He's my favourite Chelsea player but I'll say he has not been at his best lately.

Understatement of the century. All season he's been a huge liability at the back and these days he doesn't even offer much going forward either.

It's not Mourinho restricting his role to accommodate the other seniors in the team, it's simply Cole being shit. Or how else do you explain Bertrand doing just fine in defense as well as attack when playing with the same teammates?

Understatement of the century. All season he's been a huge liability at the back and these days he doesn't even offer much going forward either.

It's not Mourinho restricting his role to accommodate the other seniors in the team, it's simply Cole being shit. Or how else do you explain Bertrand doing just fine in defense as well as attack when playing with the same teammates?

Last season he was also poor going forward

Last season he was also poor going forward

Well, in my humble opinion he's been poor overall for a couple of years now but as I know not many people on here agree I chose to talk about this season only.

But yeah, for me he's been shit ever since 2011. Back then he still had his moments and by turning up on the big occasions he played a big part in the club winning the CL and the FA Cup so we can't be too critical of his performances that season but even then he just didn't bother showing up most of the times. Add a couple of more players like that to the team (Drogba, Malouda etc.) and it's no surprise we ended up sixth in the Prem.

Hes been so poor this season. Is it any wonder though, teams have been looking to target him all the time, Newcastle targeted him in the air, he gave away a few needless fouls from their long balls like one on Sissoko.

If the rumors are true that Jose tried to get Coentrao even though the negotiations came to nothing and that he enquired for a 'young English player' but was put off because of the price when it was well noted there was a big club who bid for Luke Shaw then maybe in the summer he might try and get a new LB in.

Bertrand's performance in the league cup was more than enough to warrant him a start as was Mikel's performance but yet Cole and Lampard started against Newcastle... maybe Jose is just picking them on reputation... don't want to think about it like that but looking at some of their performances then maybe it is true... same with Hazard at times.. reading it back it seems ridiculous but at times this season you could say this could apply.

Bertrand's performance in the league cup was more than enough to warrant him a start as was Mikel's performance but yet Cole and Lampard started against Newcastle... maybe Jose is just picking them on reputation... don't want to think about it like that but looking at some of their performances then maybe it is true... same with Hazard at times.. reading it back it seems ridiculous but at times this season you could say this could apply.

Not to pick on you, but this is exactly the type of kneejerk, short-termist thinking that is far too prominent in our support sometimes.

Bertrand played well against Arsenal, so it warranted a start against Newcastle. What about Cole's last game which was against Man City (and not Myaichi)? Doesn't that warrant a start?

No...it must be because he's being picked on reputation.

Not to pick on you, but this is exactly the type of kneejerk, short-termist thinking that is far too prominent in our support sometimes.

Bertrand played well against Arsenal, so it warranted a start against Newcastle. What about Cole's last game which was against Man City (and not Myaichi)? Doesn't that warrant a start?

No...it must be because he's being picked on reputation.

That is true but you look at how easily Cole has been exploited this season and even last season. His lack of support for Hazard when we go up the pitch as well limits the space Hazard has to work in. He has 2 or 3 players on him usually, if Coles there as an option or making a run he can take one away giving Eden more room to go past someone in a one on one or one on two situation. His attacking play has suffered due to his lack of mobility and his defending is also suffering. Bertrand was very good in both phases of the game for me, offensively and defensively.

Least goal threat in our side not counting Cech. :P

I would have still picked him if he was sold defensively. Bertrand should be the better option for the time being.

I also think we should be going for a world class LB in the summer, preferably Coentrao(or anyone better) and also sign Luke Shaw and send him out on loan.

Least goal threat in our side not counting Cech. :P

I would have still picked him if he was sold defensively. Bertrand should be the better option for the time being.

I also think we should be going for a world class LB in the summer, preferably Coentrao(or anyone better) and also sign Luke Shaw and send him out on loan.

I am not completely sold on Coentrao defensively but he is one hell of an attacking fullback. Can't think of many better at going forward than him, he is also brilliant at crossing. Him and Ronaldo's link up on the left for Portugal and Madrid is class at times. I think he'd suit Juventus or someone who plays with wing backs more though, same with Marcelo. He'd be a great buy for us if he could work on his defensive side, sure its not too shoddy but against Bayern, Dortmund and Barca especially he has looked very suspect.

The one thing Cole has over Bertrand atm is his tactical nous to deal with deadly attackers like Robben, Ribery, Ozil or Ronaldo. Even then he would need support from his winger, as he can't cope physically.

I think Ryan should be starting in more of the bread and butter games.

Hes been so poor this season. Is it any wonder though, teams have been looking to target him all the time, Newcastle targeted him in the air, he gave away a few needless fouls from their long balls like one on Sissoko.

If the rumors are true that Jose tried to get Coentrao even though the negotiations came to nothing and that he enquired for a 'young English player' but was put off because of the price when it was well noted there was a big club who bid for Luke Shaw then maybe in the summer he might try and get a new LB in.

I can't agree with Hazard, he has still created the most chances in the PL this season despite being doubled up on and fouled whenever he gets the ball.

For me he had been poor this season if you compare him to his potential, but in terms of productivity, i don't think he has been bad, for me.

I can't agree with Hazard, he has still created the most chances in the PL this season despite being doubled up on and fouled whenever he gets the ball.

For me he had been poor this season if you compare him to his potential, but in terms of productivity, i don't think he has been bad, for me.

He can still do much more though. He is by far one of the most talented players in the world but when he's facing two or three players at a time then he can't create as much, as many players who have a similar playing style based on explosive speed and close control can't as their game is better when they are in 1 v 1 positions when there is space to exploit if they beat their man.

Newcastle stopped him from being directly 1v1 with the fullback and restricted the space he could move into, when this sort of thing happens you want your supporting fullback or even a midfield runner to make a run to try and distract one of his markers to open up a pocket of space for a pass or a dribble or a shot or whatever.

I was watching the Arsenal-Liverpool game and I seen a great example of this for Ramsey's goal, Ozil has the ball with two markers and Lucas Leiva was marking the space Ramsey got into, Rosicky made a clever run coming towards Ozil to ask for the ball and Lucas followed him, that opened up space and Ramsey exploited it to get the shot off after Ozil played it to him in that space.

It can be the same out wide, if Cole makes a run off the ball into space he can take away a marker opening up space for a midfield runner to be found by Eden or space he can dribble into. I suppose though if teams are playing with 2 or 3 players marking one then players can also exploit that, didn't happen against Newcastle, nobody took a gamble to get into the spaces left occupied.