Ashley Cole

Madmax

He can still do much more though. He is by far one of the most talented players in the world but when he's facing two or three players at a time then he can't create as much, as many players who have a similar playing style based on explosive speed and close control can't as their game is better when they are in 1 v 1 positions when there is space to exploit if they beat their man.

Newcastle stopped him from being directly 1v1 with the fullback and restricted the space he could move into, when this sort of thing happens you want your supporting fullback or even a midfield runner to make a run to try and distract one of his markers to open up a pocket of space for a pass or a dribble or a shot or whatever.

I was watching the Arsenal-Liverpool game and I seen a great example of this for Ramsey's goal, Ozil has the ball with two markers and Lucas Leiva was marking the space Ramsey got into, Rosicky made a clever run coming towards Ozil to ask for the ball and Lucas followed him, that opened up space and Ramsey exploited it to get the shot off after Ozil played it to him in that space.

It can be the same out wide, if Cole makes a run off the ball into space he can take away a marker opening up space for a midfield runner to be found by Eden or space he can dribble into. I suppose though if teams are playing with 2 or 3 players marking one then players can also exploit that, didn't happen against Newcastle, nobody took a gamble to get into the spaces left occupied.

Without a doubt we can see much more from him, which goes to show just how good he is/can be.

But i have heard a lot that he needs to be dropped, which i don't agree with, he can and will play much better, but by in large i think he has played well this season, as the chances created stat shows.

Without a doubt we can see much more from him, which goes to show just how good he is/can be.

But i have heard a lot that he needs to be dropped, which i don't agree with, he can and will play much better, but by in large i think he has played well this season, as the chances created stat shows.

I think he could be benched for a few games and we could use him with 30 minutes to go or something when more spaces are likely to appear. He hasn't been anywhere near as good as I expected him to have come along under Robbie, Rafa and Jose.

Schurrle's industrious and direct performances are improving and they are interesting, they could be vital to breaking teams down. Schurrle is perhaps not as good a player but unlike Hazard he doesn't stop to think about passing it back to the pivot or Cole, he just runs and runs and runs and runs even if he doesn't beat his man he keeps trying to. It seems instinctive, like what I'd expect it to be from Hazard but he doesn't seem to try and take his man on every or most opportunity that arises.

Maybe some bench time would do him good, to be honest he doesn't actually look like he's in the greatest physical shape. He looks a bit tubby or he does in comparison to last year but maybe hes put a bit of body mass on to try improve his physical strength.

I am not completely sold on Coentrao defensively but he is one hell of an attacking fullback. Can't think of many better at going forward than him, he is also brilliant at crossing. Him and Ronaldo's link up on the left for Portugal and Madrid is class at times. I think he'd suit Juventus or someone who plays with wing backs more though, same with Marcelo. He'd be a great buy for us if he could work on his defensive side, sure its not too shoddy but against Bayern, Dortmund and Barca especially he has looked very suspect.

Coentrao is the only realistic LB target that we can capture in the winter transfer window.

If you ask me who is the best man for the job, I'd say Alaba. Can't see Bayern selling him. Arguably the best LB in the world. Baines comes a closer second.

Coentrao is the only realistic LB target that we can capture in the winter transfer window.

If you ask me who is the best man for the job, I'd say Alaba. Can't see Bayern selling him. Arguably the best LB in the world. Baines comes a closer second.

Baines' attacking is insane but his defending is suspect. Even Aluko ran rings around him the other day for Hull.

Actually surprised that the media have not made more about Jose benching Cole. Remember what happened when AVB benched him?

Well..Cole is coming to the end of his career...its only natural that older players are on the bench in certain games.

The media are more interested in De Bruyne, Mata, Hazard's passport...

Actually surprised that the media have not made more about Jose benching Cole. Remember what happened when AVB benched him?

Well..Cole is coming to the end of his career...its only natural that older players are on the bench in certain games.

The media are more interested in De Bruyne, Mata, Hazard's passport...

And that was AVB. This is Mourinho. It's always easier from the media POV to target someone younger and inexperience..

Of our older players Ash is the one who is nearest to the end ,he suffers from bad ankles and was always a high energy player and is slowing down , I think Jose has seen this and that is why he is on the bench ,once his legs go he has little else to give us and I would not be surprised to see him not offered a new deal .

Of our older players Ash is the one who is nearest to the end ,he suffers from bad ankles and was always a high energy player and is slowing down , I think Jose has seen this and that is why he is on the bench ,once his legs go he has little else to give us and I would not be surprised to see him not offered a new deal .

Agree ,,I think this is his last year ,,,Im sure his contract ends in 2014

I think he is the most likely to leave at the end of the season out of our veteran Englishmen, i think Lampard will get another year again, but hopefully with a much lesser role with out pivot completely re-energized.

I think he might even move on this January, in all honesty. I know he only has 6 months left to run on his contract, but we would easily fetch £3-5 million from a club like PSG or Monaco, or even an MLS franchise.

PSG were interested last winter since their manager was Anchelotti and he knew what Cole can do when he's at his best.

Not sure if Blanc is a great fan of Cole, especially with his current form. Likewise for Ranieri and Monaco.

MLS might fetch us a few millions for him. Personally I'll keep him on unless we sign someone like Coentrao and we can safely go for Shaw next summer.

I think he might even move on this January, in all honesty. I know he only has 6 months left to run on his contract, but we would easily fetch £3-5 million from a club like PSG or Monaco, or even an MLS franchise.

Selling him in January is just suicidal as it's unlikely we can get a replacement for him then. Better chances of him being let go for free next summer.