Ashley Cole

Madmax

Jose said that he did not know about the injury when he took him off, so he did not ask to be subbed off which probably means it's not as bad as we thought.

On the game, he was good in the second half, but in the first he got caught out so many times by the ball over his head.

so not only is Jose a tactical genius but now he is psychic as well ...and to think Bushman called him clueless :D

Not too worried about his injury because I do believe Bertrand can fill in easily.

Just Bertrand's luck that when there seems to be an opening for him there's an international break.

Not surprised to see Ashley go off again today; Mourinho said he made the decision to take off Cole not knowing he was injured at the time. He did the same when chasing a result at Goodison. Ashley is our most expendable player when chasing a result - and/or we go with a back 3 - considering Ivanovic isn't exactly Cafu going forward that says an awful lot about Ashley's offensive contribution.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/07/ashley-cole-england-world-cup-qualifier?CMP=twt_gu

Cole ruled out of English's WCQ against Montenegro this Friday.

No other extra information mentioned in there.

Anyway, even if he's back available for the Cardiff game, I'm just hoping Mourinho rest him and play Bertrand instead against them. No need to flog Cole (and some others actually) to death by playing him in almost every game when there is a dependable back-up player available.

Might sound controversial (it shouldn't really) but Baines should have been first choice LB now whether or not Ashley is available. It's funny how England talk about having quality, technical football players etc but haven't gone with Baines sooner. Ashley is a great defender, but Baines isn't bad himself then there's his ability in open-play, freekicks and set-pieces. Baines is clearly the better player, it's not even close now in my honest opinion.

Might sound controversial (it shouldn't really) but Baines should have been first choice LB now whether or not Ashley is available. It's funny how England talk about having quality, technical football players etc but haven't gone with Baines sooner. Ashley is a great defender, but Baines isn't bad himself then there's his ability in open-play, freekicks and set-pieces. Baines is clearly the better player, it's not even close now in my honest opinion.

Considering the first job of a left back is to defend, baines is not even close to displacing Cole.

Considering the first job of a left back is to defend, baines is not even close to displacing Cole.

Baines is a more than adequate defender; sure Ashley is a better defender, but the drop-off in quality isn't anywhere close to what you imagine to be.

There is however a massive difference in what they offer going forward and Baines is FAR superior, so much that it's not even close.

Simply put: Ashley is the better defender but Baines is the better footballer. Now you decide who would be more useful to England/Chelsea?

Baines is a more than adequate defender; sure Ashley is a better defender, but the drop-off in quality isn't anywhere close to what you imagine to be.

There is however a massive difference in what they offer going forward and Baines is FAR superior, so much that it's not even close.

Simply put: Ashley is the better defender but Baines is the better footballer. Now you decide who would be more useful to England/Chelsea?

"Baines is a better footballer" OK then, I am out

"Baines is a better footballer" OK then, I am out

Look, Cole is a better defender but not a superior defender as Baines is not a weak link in defence. He just loves going forward but is superiority going forward outweighs Cole's better defensive ability. As a fullback it is good to defend but in the game nowadays the fullbacks get forward much more and it is an added bonus. England would be much more of a threat with Baines in the team. I cannot even recall that much games where I would say Baines was a weak link in defence. Cole was the best LB in the prem if not the world but now I reckon it is time that he gets replaced by both club and country imho.

Thing with Cole is he is a super defender but he is an absolute terrible crosser of a ball and really offers little going forward.

Baines is a more rounded individual who ticks every box possible really. His stamina and work ethic is brilliant.

Baines is an excellent LB who is currently probably better than Cole, but he's been grossly overrated by the media; he is no where near world-class like Cole was up till 2010.

He isn't world class that is for sure but he is a brilliant LB. His game is so rounded it's hard to find a fault in it really.