Juan Cuadrado

Liuxas

1. Not if he is shit it's not.

2.. How did Salah adapt since last January then? You can't deny that the time for adaption makes this transfer the potential to be yet another waste of everyone's time.

3. As a statistician, i'll tell you that stats like that don't point to shit unless they are under the same conditions. Kezman had fantastic stats in Eredivisie didn't he?!

4. This is probably one of the most ridiculous things I have read on this forum; you are comparing Fabregas & Costa to Juan Cuadrado? Lets compare then shall we?

Fabregas: a proven WC player with multiple honours and PL proven.

Costa: scored 36 goals in 52 appearances last season and was the driving force behind Atletico winning their first league title in 19 years and reaching their first CL final.

Vs.

Juan Cuadrado: a 26 year old who was completely anonymous to the majority of the footballing world until he was seen at the WC, in a team that was carried by James Rodriguez no less.

In case you didn't notice, what I was getting at was that we are expected to pay a price that is indicative of a guaranteed success when Cuadrado is far from. At least with Salah and Schurrle they were cheaper, young, and would've kept a lot of their resale value (which they have obviously); but with Cuadrado, if he flops we will not be able to sell him for anywhere near the price we paid. Not only could it be a big fat waste of time, but also money; these are the things that must be thought about with FFP and a title on the line.

Point is, if we are paying that money for a player these days we should have a 90% confidence in his ability to adapt and succeed, if not, he should at least still have the age and potential to improve elsewhere if he does not succeed so we can get our money back or make a bit of a profit - Cuadrado currently falls into neither category.

Besides, if (God forbid) something happens to Hazard I would much prefer to have Schurrle here than sticking square pegs in round holes by putting Willian on the left or a new player who is not only uncomfortable in the position, but is also adapting to a new team, new style, new league, new life etc. Something like that has the potential to seriously disrupt a title challenge...

1. He isnt shit. To say that points towards a personal bias against him as he was one of the best players in serie A last season.

2. The point was that some players need time to adapt, others dont. How long did Costa need? How long did Hazard need? They might be better players, but it is still nothing you can generalize to the point of assuming that he wont add anything to the team for a long time.

3. As a person working in finance I can tell you that stats are a tool to support decisions. You use them to remove unknown variables. Costa had good stats in La Liga right? We are not low on players who were good in their domestic leagues and continued being good in CFC.

4. Im glad that Im amusing you, but you are again not really getting the point. If Cuadrado is deemed to improve team for a few years, than that is what matters, not what we can sell him for when he isnt good enough anymore.

You are honestly making me laugh when you keep claiming that no one knew about him before the world cup, as if he was some random who had 5 good games. Maybe the problem is that your knowledge of players dont extend far enough?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. So we're not supposed to buy players unless without a shadow of a doubt they are fantastic? How do you know until you see them with our set up? That is just silly.

2.how did matic adapt? Depends on the player it's not a reason not to buy

3. So did Suarez. You're looking at the information one sided. For every kezman there are 100s of players who worked out.

4. Apples and oranges no transfer comes without inherit risk. No one knew how costa would adjust to life in the prem. the club took a chance and it paid off, you know why? Because when you wait till players are "known quantities" their price tag doubles. You gamble, much like how we gambled that schurrle would come good here after having a paltry conversion rate of 9.1% or on salah who quietly burned us twice.

If you don't like Cuadrado that's all fine and good but don't paint a picture like what the club is doing is completely out of the ordinary and carries too much risk. The risk vs reward is high since salah and schurrle haven't been anywhere near consistent enough for this club. If cuadrado comes in with willians work ethic and better finishing in the final 3rd we win big.

1. You clearly did not read my post properly, I'm not explaining it again.

2. Maybe it has something to do with him being at the club before? Speaking English or having a friend/living in London before? Anyway, players hitting the ground running like Matic did are very rare indeed.

3. And you are looking at the information arseways! You're making it seem like Kezman was a freak 1/100 accident and that players adapt perfectly 99% of the time, when it couldn't be further from the truth! Case and point, Schurrle and Salah!

Jesus Christ, Schurrle's stats were almost identical to Cuadrado's before the came to Chelsea except he was younger, and Salah's weren't far off either. And what happened? Stats mean fuck all unless you are in freak territory like 30+ goals a season like Costa was.

4. How can you say the risk/reward is high simply because Salah and Schurrle have contributed so little? What makes you so sure? It is because Fiorentina stuck on a couple of extra million than Schurrle? Is that 100% indicative of a player's quality? Torres?! LOL, THIS IS NOT FOOTBALL MANAGER. Did you ever think that Cuadrado could just be an even bigger, more expensive flop than Salah or Schurrle?!

Did you ever think of this simple fact: if Cuadrado was good, even if Cuadrado was on Mourinho's wish list, he would already be in the team.

Because when it comes down to it, the signing of Cuadrado is a singing of circumstance, not of necessity or a want or a need.

We will sign him if a player wants to leave, that's it, not because he was always wanted. Compare with other Mourinho signings:

Matic: Need

Salah: Circumstance

Fabregas: Need

Costa: Need

Willian was needed because clearly Mourinho was planning on ousting Mata but whether he is the best for the team, I don't know; the fact that he wants to spend big money (not just 'Salah' money) on another RW tells me he isn't 100% confident in Willian. As far as Schurrle, maybe he is just a signing that just didn't go right as he never found consistency. But you can easily spot the signings that were 110% wanted and needed for the structure of Mourinho's team.

Cuadrado, no matter how you want to look at it, is a signing that is a result of a set of circumstances rather than a player Mourinho has identified from the beginning. I would rather wait until the summer when the market is more open.

1. He isnt shit. To say that points towards a personal bias against him as he was one of the best players in serie A last season.

2. The point was that some players need time to adapt, others dont. How long did Costa need? How long did Hazard need? They might be better players, but it is still nothing you can generalize to the point of assuming that he wont add anything to the team for a long time.

3. As a person working in finance I can tell you that stats are a tool to support decisions. You use them to remove unknown variables. Costa had good stats in La Liga right? We are not low on players who were good in their domestic leagues and continued being good in CFC.

4. Im glad that Im amusing you, but you are again not really getting the point. If Cuadrado is deemed to improve team for a few years, than that is what matters, not what we can sell him for when he isnt good enough anymore.

You are honestly making me laugh when you keep claiming that no one knew about him before the world cup, as if he was some random who had 5 good games. Maybe the problem is that your knowledge of players dont extend far enough?

1. I said IF.

2. Hazard and Costa had vastly superior records (this includes trophies). Hazard had a lot to do with Lille winning the league in 2011 and Costa drove Atletico to win La Liga and into the CL final, so I still do not know what your point is. They also had an entire summer and preseason to adapt to their new team, get settled in etc. They were also specifically targeted by the club and not simply a result of a set of circumstances.

3. I suppose everyone in finance thought the economy was hunky dory before 2008?! See what I've just said about stats.

4. Yes, because I desperately want him to fail. I want him to fail and the club to suffer because I want to be proven right...I fucking hope to baby Jesus that I am wrong if we sign him, but because of the reasons I have already outlined in my previous post, excuse me if I am not full of confidence in a player who is close to 27, has won nothing, has no CL experience, has an average record in a poor league and who we are only signing just because, basically, we have to sign a replacement.

If we're selling Schurrle and Salah, Cuadrado makes a good squad player. However, he doesn't fully solve our RW problem though. There will always be players of higher quality available there that'll pop up.

We really should've gone for someone like Shaqiri tbh, has a lot more talent than Cuadrado.

If we're selling Schurrle and Salah, Cuadrado makes a good squad player. However, he doesn't fully solve our RW problem though. There will always be players of higher quality available there that'll pop up.

We really should've gone for someone like Shaqiri tbh, has a lot more talent than Cuadrado.

My dreams were crushed when Shaqiri signed for Inter :(

Haha looks like we aren't signing him after all?

But still I'd fancy paying 25m for him rather than paying 20m for Douglas Costa who plays in a Russian league and his goal scoring record is even worse.

Donyeck is in Ukraine, not Russia :)

I agree with you though, Cuadrado would be a better signing. Top top player. Costa is okay too but I don't think he'd be a big improvement.

The Colombian is very versatile and has played across the attacking midfield positions, as a striker and even as a right-back for his club this season. This ability to play in a variety of positions will be attractive to Mourinho as he would offer quality depth in a number of positions. Plus the amount of games Chelsea have will give him opportunities to stake a claim for a regular place in the Chelsea side, the winger will believe he is good enough to make the step up and become a regular for one of the top sides in the world.

The Fiorentina midfielder has scored four goals and got four assists this campaign, with his influence on the team being huge over the first half of the season. He has certainly been one of the best players in the side, and probably one of the most consistent performers in the league. It’s easy to see why a club like Chelsea might be interested. He is a very intelligent player who manages to get more than three shots on goal per game, while his pass completion rate is 86.6%. As a player, he likes to run with the ball as he has the ability to beat players with his skill and pace, while his eye for a pass means he creates a lot of chances for his team mates. Another big part of Cuadrado’s game is his ability to work hard in defence and for a winger, he is a very impressive tackler.

http://eplindex.com/64354/juan-cuadrado-bring-chelsea.html

So Express have gone from, bid accepted, to now Montella quitting IF they sell him. lol they are a woeful tabloid

I don't think Montella would be daft enough to threaten to quit a club if they sold a player with a buyout clause

So Express have gone from, bid accepted, to now Montella quitting IF they sell him. lol they are a woeful tabloid

I don't think Montella would be daft enough to threaten to quit a club if they sold a player with a buyout clause

Yep if this transfer doesn't go through time to block Express for good :)