Juan Cuadrado

Liuxas

So in a matter of days we've gone from Messi to Reus to Cuadrado to Costa and finally to Valencia? What next, we decide against buying anyone and recall the mighty Marko Marin?

Enner Valencia is better than Douglas Costa.

I don't want to sell Andre, I'd rather keep what we have until the end of the season if we have to settle for Costa. Turan, Alexis, Griezman, Reus, Vela or someone else may be available, Douglas Costa is not the solution.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have no way of knowing whether or not cuadrado will be the answer, what we do know is schurrle and salah have made the club think we need to fill a void on the right flank. Reus could come and we'd still have no way of knowing whether or not he will fit in. The stance you seem to be taking is 'we know what we have in these two and regardless of whether or not they are working, they are known quantities.' I don't subscribe to that, we are trying to improve and with that there is always risk.

Funny that. Mourinho may have been thinking about upgrading our RW but in this window and situation, the impression seems to be that we are only buying Cuadrado to replace Schurrle/Salah as opposed to replace either one of them with Cuadrado to strengthen our RW. After all, there were no signs of us doing anything until suddenly Wolfsburg and Roma expressed their interest in Schurrle and Salah respectively. We are trying to improve yes, but is Cuadrado really the answer? Is he really THAT good and better than Salah, Schurrle or Willian? Not convinced. May end up being a 27m bench warmer.

What I'm saying is when you deal from a position of strength you stand to get more in return. If we wait till the summer out bargaining power weakens because teams have more players to choose from. The market is in our favour as a seller now.

Considering how highly rated Schurrle is in Germany, I don't see our bargain would weaken a lot, even if there'll be more options for clubs to choose. He's one of the better players around and if teams like Wolfsburg, Dortmund etc want to get even better, then Schurrle would be pretty high on that list.

Bottom line is the best teams in the world have high quality subs on their bench, that is what we are aspiring to.

We may aspire to be one of the best teams around but the idea of having world class players in the starting XI and on the bench is totally nonsense. We live in reality, not in the world of Football Manager or FIFA. It's nearly impossible to be having that. Barcelona under Guardiola did not have high quality players on the bench but what they did have was good and reliable players to come in and do the job. It was the same thing with Ferguson's United as well.

Imagine the furore here...

Meh would have been a good signing as I think he is a good player, but doesn't matter if we wait until the summer and go for the likes of Reus...etc or him again, getting 5 more months to pass judgement. Doubt many are that desperate either, some are talking as if he is from Urganda and never played football before :P. What I hope though is that we don't go for Costa for 20m+, that would be madness.

EDIT: @The Mak

1. Actually fair market value

2. We do not know anything about that. Some players take to the league right away, others don't. In other words speculation.

3. Opinion and speculation, that kind of analysis should be left for the people who make a living out of it. Stats point towards him being enough of an improvement though.

4. What is the resell value of Fabregas or Costa? We can not only buy players with selling them in mind. The idea is for them to play well, improve the team and then leave when they have reached a point where they cant earn their keep. Unless they fail right away the time of that usually occurs with higher age.

5. Opinion

Not trying to sound like an ass, but those aren't exactly striking arguments. A forum thrives when people come in with opinions based on at least some sort of facts rather than just saying "he sucks", "no THX" etc.

Thinking that Cuadrado is the wrong player is fair enough, but its hard to know what you in this instance is basing this opinion on.

1. Not if he is shit it's not.

2.. How did Salah adapt since last January then? You can't deny that the time for adaption makes this transfer the potential to be yet another waste of everyone's time.

3. As a statistician, i'll tell you that stats like that don't point to shit unless they are under the same conditions. Kezman had fantastic stats in Eredivisie didn't he?!

4. This is probably one of the most ridiculous things I have read on this forum; you are comparing Fabregas & Costa to Juan Cuadrado? Lets compare then shall we?

Fabregas: a proven WC player with multiple honours and PL proven.

Costa: scored 36 goals in 52 appearances last season and was the driving force behind Atletico winning their first league title in 19 years and reaching their first CL final.

Vs.

Juan Cuadrado: a 26 year old who was completely anonymous to the majority of the footballing world until he was seen at the WC, in a team that was carried by James Rodriguez no less.

In case you didn't notice, what I was getting at was that we are expected to pay a price that is indicative of a guaranteed success when Cuadrado is far from. At least with Salah and Schurrle they were cheaper, young, and would've kept a lot of their resale value (which they have obviously); but with Cuadrado, if he flops we will not be able to sell him for anywhere near the price we paid. Not only could it be a big fat waste of time, but also money; these are the things that must be thought about with FFP and a title on the line.

Point is, if we are paying that money for a player these days we should have a 90% confidence in his ability to adapt and succeed, if not, he should at least still have the age and potential to improve elsewhere if he does not succeed so we can get our money back or make a bit of a profit - Cuadrado currently falls into neither category.

Besides, if (God forbid) something happens to Hazard I would much prefer to have Schurrle here than sticking square pegs in round holes by putting Willian on the left or a new player who is not only uncomfortable in the position, but is also adapting to a new team, new style, new league, new life etc. Something like that has the potential to seriously disrupt a title challenge...

So according to WhoScored Cuadrado's defensive contribution is weak and he is dispossessed a lot. So he may have impressive overall workrate but contributes little to defence. They also state he is stong at passing, finishing and key passes. So his offensive output is quite solid. I'm liking this transfer a little more now, Cuadrado as an Offensive Winger and Willian as a Defensive Winger. That will cover the right hand side nicely. But it also must be noted that Cuadrado has scored all of his goals this season from the Centre Attacking Midfield position.

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/44868/

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/29463/

2.. How did Salah adapt since last January then? You can't deny that the time for adaption makes this transfer the potential to be yet another waste of everyone's time.

3. As a statistician, i'll tell you that stats like that don't point to shit unless they are under the same conditions. Kezman had fantastic stats in Eredivisie didn't he?!

4. This is probably one of the most ridiculous things I have read on this forum; you are comparing Fabregas & Costa to Juan Cuadrado? Lets compare then shall we?

Costa: scored 36 goals in 52 appearances last season and was the driving force behind Atletico winning their first league title in 19 years and reaching their first CL final.

Vs.

Juan Cuadrado: a 26 year old who was completely anonymous to the majority of the footballing world until he was seen at the WC, in a team that was carried by James Rodriguez no less.

In case you didn't notice, what I was getting at was that we are expected to pay a price that is indicative of a guaranteed success when Cuadrado is far from. At least with Salah and Schurrle they were cheaper, young, and would've kept a lot of their resale value (which they have obviously); but with Cuadrado, if he flops we will not be able to sell him for anywhere near the price we paid. Not only could it be a big fat waste of time, but also money; these are the things that must be thought about with FFP and a title on the line.

Point is, if we are paying that money for a player these days we should have a 90% confidence in his ability to adapt and succeed, if not, he should at least still have the age and potential to improve elsewhere if he does not succeed so we can get our money back or make a bit of a profit - Cuadrado currently falls into neither category.

Besides, if (God forbid) something happens to Hazard I would much prefer to have Schurrle here than sticking square pegs in round holes by putting Willian on the left or a new player who is not only uncomfortable in the position, but is also adapting to a new team, new style, new league, new life etc. Something like that has the potential to seriously disrupt a title challenge...

Hear, hear. Rationality.

So according to WhoScored Cuadrado's defensive contribution is weak and he is dispossessed a lot. So he may have impressive overall workrate but contributes little to defence. They also state he is stong at passing, finishing and key passes. So his offensive output is quite solid. I'm liking this transfer a little more now, Cuadrado as an Offensive Winger and Willian as a Defensive Winger. That will cover the right hand side nicely. But it also must be noted that Cuadrado has scored all of his goals this season from the Centre Attacking Midfield position.

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/44868/

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/29463/

because he's got no discipline switching off often. He's also physically weak and lacks determination.

Can't imagine a more Unmourinho player.

No, I am not a fan of Cuadrado. Stupid name too: Cuadrado means square in spanish (quadrado in Portuguese). :)

Would rather keep Salah who has a chance to become a good player one day; Cuadrado's ship might have already sailed.

Funny that. Mourinho may have been thinking about upgrading our RW but in this window and situation, the impression seems to be that we are only buying Cuadrado to replace Schurrle/Salah as opposed to replace either one of them with Cuadrado to strengthen our RW. After all, there were no signs of us doing anything until suddenly Wolfsburg and Roma expressed their interest in Schurrle and Salah respectively. We are trying to improve yes, but is Cuadrado really the answer? Is he really THAT good and better than Salah, Schurrle or Willian? Not convinced. May end up being a 27m bench warmer.

Considering how highly rated Schurrle is in Germany, I don't see our bargain would weaken a lot, even if there'll be more options for clubs to choose. He's one of the better players around and if teams like Wolfsburg, Dortmund etc want to get even better, then Schurrle would be pretty high on that list.

We may aspire to be one of the best teams around but the idea of having world class players in the starting XI and on the bench is totally nonsense. We live in reality, not in the world of Football Manager or FIFA. It's nearly impossible to be having that. Barcelona under Guardiola did not have high quality players on the bench but what they did have was good and reliable players to come in and do the job. It was the same thing with Ferguson's United as well.

You have no way of knowing what the club's intentions are. What we do know is that we have to sell before we buy so naturally we hear about the offers coming in first before we hear of player purchases. We have no way of knowing how good he can be in our set up. We have a need because neither schurrle or salah have provided us with that in injection on the right. The club will have identified cuadrado as a replacement, not me, so clearly they think he is an upgrade. I don't know much about him as a player to make a fair assessment maybe you do. 27m for a high quality bench player isn't bad.

You make schurrle sound like he's a world beater. There are tons of players that are in his bracket of players, and it's a fact that if teams have other targets available at a number that our bargaining position is weakened, doesn't matter how much you think he's highly rated in Germany, if we price him out of the market value teams will look at secondary targets.

Nobody said anything about world class. The words I used were HIGH QUALITY squad players.

I....really want us to sign him now.

I need a shiny new toy to fawn over. Just thinking about the possibility of wingers on both sides of the pitch being able to blaze past a defender and play aggressively gets me excited. You see even average wingers in this league can be very effective, so the prospect of adding a potentially top class one sounds good to me.

Vs.

1. So we're not supposed to buy players unless without a shadow of a doubt they are fantastic? How do you know until you see them with our set up? That is just silly.

2.how did matic adapt? Depends on the player it's not a reason not to buy

3. So did Suarez. You're looking at the information one sided. For every kezman there are 100s of players who worked out.

4. Apples and oranges no transfer comes without inherit risk. No one knew how costa would adjust to life in the prem. the club took a chance and it paid off, you know why? Because when you wait till players are "known quantities" their price tag doubles. You gamble, much like how we gambled that schurrle would come good here after having a paltry conversion rate of 9.1% or on salah who quietly burned us twice.

If you don't like Cuadrado that's all fine and good but don't paint a picture like what the club is doing is completely out of the ordinary and carries too much risk. The risk vs reward is high since salah and schurrle haven't been anywhere near consistent enough for this club. If cuadrado comes in with willians work ethic and better finishing in the final 3rd we win big.