Stoke v Chelsea

Jase

Motivation is all good and well but it won't help improve Willian's decision-making or force us to play with width (among other issues).

You'd be surprised how much it actually adds on to the general level of play - both individual and collective.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd be surprised how much it actually adds on to the general level of play - both individual and collective.

Don't you think the players were motivated at City or Newcastle (given Jose's poor record there) in particular? That didn't stop us playing badly. Being motivated can help you play closer to the best of your abilities but when your abilities are very limited in an attacking sense (Oscar and Willian in particular) and the tactics are somewhat restrictive then ultimately it won't help much in games where we face parked buses.

Hey guys, I have an idea for an app. Fans download it onto their phones, when they are at the match, a cheslea song comes on the app with the lyrics so they all join in together. The songs can be instantly updated depending on what happens on the pitch and the fans can quickly follow the song karoake-style. If any app developer is reading this and makes lots of money from it please I just want 10%.

Hey guys, I have an idea for an app. Fans download it onto their phones, when they are at the match, a cheslea song comes on the app with the lyrics so they all join in together. The songs can be instantly updated depending on what happens on the pitch and the fans can quickly follow the song karoake-style. If any app developer is reading this and makes lots of money from it please I just want 10%.

:lol: so you're going to have 40k people looking down at their phones rather than watching the game?...

:lol: so you're going to have 40k people looking down at their phones rather than watching the game?...

Only a couple songs throughout each half. Let's say the first song begins in 10 mins, the app would start counting down, 10:00, 09:59, 09:58 etc, when it gets to 10 seconds the fans can start counting down 10, 9, 8, and the song starts, those people who have closed the app will reopen when they hear people count down from 10, hmmmmm....

Don't you think the players were motivated at City or Newcastle (given Jose's poor record there) in particular? That didn't stop us playing badly. Being motivated can help you play closer to the best of your abilities but when your abilities are very limited in an attacking sense (Oscar and Willian in particular) and the tactics are somewhat restrictive then ultimately it won't help much in games where we face parked buses.

I'm not saying motivation is the be all and end all or that it's a substitute for tactics or talent ... all I'm saying is that it adds on to the existing ability and should not be underestimated in it's capacity to spark that extra something that makes a difference. The better and more well drilled sides don't always win - everyone here's watched enough football to know that. You speak of the City and Newcastle games - what do you put those dropped points to? Solely worse tactics on the day? Solely sub-par execution? Maybe City were even more determined to get something once they fell a goal and a man behind. Maybe Newcastle were determined to continue their good record against us. 'Up for it' as it's called. Of course I'm not saying that we'll beat Stoke just because Mourinho will have the boys up for it ... the ability is a given (otherwise you cannot be top of the league in England, so I think you're being a little harsh in that respect, but that's another discussion). When we were 8 points ahead maybe we were guilty of switching off at times where we wouldn't have, had that gap not been so wide (Sunderland). Now that the gap's been wiped out, I expect to see a more hungry side out there, and I think that extra hunger coupled with the pre-existing quality will take care of Stoke.

The Gerrard slip song would have to be on there :D