Petr Cech

eldo

Seems like both are staying and he's made up his mind as to who plays more.

Jose has always implied so from the start. It was only a few people on here who were trying to convince us that we would anger the football gods if we had two good keepers and all hell would break loose.

Jose has always implied so from the start. It was only a few people on here who were trying to convince us that we would anger the football gods if we had two good keepers and all hell would break loose.

It's got nothing to do with angering football gods and everything to do with practicality. Goalkeeper is just one of those positions where rotation doesn't have a great track record.

My brain says Courtois, my heart is definitely for Petr... When I saw him yesterday again in action, I again realized, how much I love him... True Chelsea legend... I must thank him again, that he was the reason, why I started support this fantastic club...

It's got nothing to do with angering football gods and everything to do with practicality. Goalkeeper is just one of those positions where rotation doesn't have a great track record.

Well, Jose seems to think otherwise. I personally feel more secure having Petr around in Thibaut's first season with us.

Yep, Tibo for me as number 1 it's just the right thing to do. Also talking of the right thing to do, Chalobah should be getting more game time ahead of Mikel this season, instill faith in the young lads push them to the next level and let them embrace it.

For me cech is still better than courtois you only have to look at our supercup cup game vs bayern last season to see so. The problem is in the long term where courtois naturally has more years and courtois will loose his spot on belgium NT if he doesn't start unlike cech. The thing is we don't have a goal keeper problem so there is really nothing to fix there but we also have courtois who is really good. Mourinho is a fair coach as he showed with ashley cole and postively for john terry so I feel based on professional counsel from the goal keeping coach he will select who he feels is better because courtois is both present and more future while cech is also present but with less future though. If I were jose, courtois will be understudy for this season and if he proves to be better based on training and in games then he becomes first choice. But it should be done fairly because cech represents a history and is still very reasonably young, I hope he helps us win more trophies like van der sar did for united but if he underperforms or if he is outperformed by courtois then fair game and courtois should be No. 1.

Jose was wrong about this type of thing at Madrid though. Different situation in many ways, but it shows Jose can be fallible.

I don't get why you'd feel more secure either. Courtois WILL make mistakes because keepers do. But he's a top class keeper so he'll grow from that, except with Cech around you'll have Sky's cameras immediately cutting to Cech on the bench. It creates an extra narrative, conflict that is unnecessary.

Courtois is probably the number two keeper in world football. I just don't think there's a valid reason not to make the change now.

I feel more secure because if Thibaut has a rough first season here and is taking time to adjust, Petr will be ready to save the day because if we're going to challenge for titles, we can't afford slip ups. We'll have someone who has won it all and who is still a top keeper when experience is needed. And if Thibaut adjusts quickly to the league and is performing better than Petr, then great, he can keep the spot and Petr can afford to have a season on the bench. Plus, it wouldn't hurt for Thibaut to learn a few things from Petr in training.

You can't win with the media, if we sell Petr, then the camera will cut to Jose after every half mistake by Thibaut and the commentator will talk about how it was a mistake to rid of Petr.

You mentioned the bad track record of having two keepers, but there is even a worse track record of top clubs transitioning from a keeper to a new one. I'm glad we're going through this transition slowly to minimize any possible damage.

I feel more secure because if Thibaut has a rough first season here and is taking time to adjust, Petr will be ready to save the day because if we're going to challenge for titles, we can't afford slip ups. We'll have someone who has won it all and who is still a top keeper when experience is needed. And if Thibaut adjusts quickly to the league and is performing better than Petr, then great, he can keep the spot and Petr can afford to have a season on the bench. Plus, it wouldn't hurt for Thibaut to learn a few things from Petr in training.

You can't win with the media, if we sell Petr, then the camera will cut to Jose after every half mistake by Thibaut and the commentator will talk about how it was a mistake to rid of Petr.

You mentioned the bad track record of having two keepers, but there is even a worse track record of top clubs transitioning from a keeper to a new one. I'm glad we're going through this transition slowly to minimize any possible damage.

So if Courtois makes mistakes, we drop him?

This idea that Cech can teach things to Courtois is somewhat patronising to be honest. Courtois is a better goalkeeper than Cech is right now.

There's the old cliche about players coming to this league and having to do it 'on a cold night in Stoke'. The truth is that on a mild afternoon in Stoke Petr Cech cost us points with his errors. Right now I'd trust Courtois more, but that's because I've got a soft spot for talent and form.

For me cech is still better than courtois you only have to look at our supercup cup game vs bayern last season to see so. The problem is in the long term where courtois naturally has more years and courtois will loose his spot on belgium NT if he doesn't start unlike cech. The thing is we don't have a goal keeper problem so there is really nothing to fix there but we also have courtois who is really good. Mourinho is a fair coach as he showed with ashley cole and postively for john terry so i based on professional counsel from the goal keeping coach he will select who he feels is better because courtois is both present and more future while cech is also present but with less future though. If I were jose, courtois will be understudy for this season and if he proves to be better based on training and in games then he becomes first choice. But it should be done fairly because cech represents a history and is still very reasonably young, I hope he helps us win more trophies like van der sar did for united but if he underperforms or if he is outperformed by courtois then fair game and courtois should be No. 1.

Why look at that game and not the others where Cech made mistakes?

Cech was dropped last season because of poor form. Everyone seems to ignore this, but Schwarzer got his first start in the CL not out of some sense of sentimentality, but because Cech was losing us points.

Courtois has exceeded every expectation we had for him and right now he's the better keeper.

Both keepers should be able to play the entire season due to their talent and class. Benching Cech is an insult to his career and achievements and benching the best young keeper in the world is an insult to football.

This is what happens when only ten teams worldwide have all the serious money. As I said before, European football is being impoverished if you take a step away from the two main leagues and the 10 main CL contenders...

20 years ago, Ajax was one of the major forces in World Football. Today they still have just as many fans and a sold-out stadium of 50.000 seats, but they have to buy crap players and every time they actually find a world class talent it's gone in two years.

Top football is getting boring, that's why every neutral fan was rooting for Atletico to win the CL last year, at least it was something fresh.

Not an insult to any club btw, it's not your fault, but it's the reality.

Look at the Madrid Squad. They now have Bale, Khedira, Di Maria, Kroos, Isco, Benzema, Xabi Alonso; Modric and Rodriguez. They can't all play, some will rarely do so, and they would all be the absolute star in other teams. Now they have to play second fiddle to Ronaldo. That actually makes me sad. :)

So if Courtois makes mistakes, we drop him?

This idea that Cech can teach things to Courtois is somewhat patronising to be honest. Courtois is a better goalkeeper than Cech is right now.

There's the old cliche about players coming to this league and having to do it 'on a cold night in Stoke'. The truth is that on a mild afternoon in Stoke Petr Cech cost us points with his errors. Right now I'd trust Courtois more, but that's because I've got a soft spot for talent and form.

If Courtois goes through a rough patch of course we bench him. The results are above everything else for us.

Regardless of who is currently better (for me it's still Petr), of course Thibaut can learn A LOT from Petr. We're talking about the man who has the most clean sheets in the history of our club! His experience is invaluable.

Again, if Thibaut is performing consistently better than Petr, then he has nothing to worry about.

Let's just wait to see how Jose plans on handling the situation.

Why look at that game and not the others where Cech made mistakes?

Cech was dropped last season because of poor form. Everyone seems to ignore this, but Schwarzer got his first start in the CL not out of some sense of sentimentality, but because Cech was losing us points.

Courtois has exceeded every expectation we had for him and right now he's the better keeper.

Courtois isn't better than cech for now until he proves so in the Epl and if he proves so to Jose then fine he becomes no. 1. Looking at errors courtois had his mistakes too in the champions league final. Cech is still a great keeper and still young too. Coutois has to prove he is better all this future shit doesn't cut it for me. Just as costa says he will fight with torres so also courtois with cech.

If Courtois goes through a rough patch of course we bench him. The results are above everything else for us.

Regardless of who is currently better (for me it's still Petr), of course Thibaut can learn A LOT from Petr. We're talking about the man who has the most clean sheets in the history of our club! His experience is invaluable.

Here's what Cech can teach Courtois....play for a great team with a great manager. Cech's clean sheet record is at much to do with Carvalho, Terry, Makelele, Essien, Ferreira, Cole and Mourinho as it is to do with him.

That's not to say Cech isn't a great keeper, but he's also been one of the best protected keepers in Premier League history.

Courtois isn't better than cech for now until he proves so in the Epl and if he proves so to Jose then fine he becomes no. 1. Looking at errors courtois had his mistakes too in the champions league final. Cech is still a great keeper and still young too. Coutois has to prove he is better all this future shit doesn't cut it for me. Just as costa says he will fight with torres so also courtois with cech.

Cech was dropped last year. His form has steadily declined over the last two years.

Fuck all the future shit then. In the present, Courtois is the better keeper.

Here's what Cech can teach Courtois....play for a great team with a great manager. Cech's clean sheet record is at much to do with Carvalho, Terry, Makelele, Essien, Ferreira, Cole and Mourinho as it is to do with him.

That's not to say Cech isn't a great keeper, but he's also been one of the best protected keepers in Premier League history.

Not really my point, but it's kind of a cheap shot trying to take away from Petr's achievements.

Anyway, my point was experience (that's why I bolded it) at the top the level and experience for playing at Chelsea and experience of playing in the PL. Petr is one of the best best of his generation and one of the legends of the game, no matter how talented a youngster is, and even when Thibaut becomes clearly better than him, he can always learn from his experience.