Petr Cech

eldo

Where would you place Szczesny, Mignolet, Casillas, Diego Lopez, Handanovic, Howard, Guzan, Begovic and Hart?

Szczesny would probably go under "Very good" in my estimations. The same for Diego Lopez. The rest are "good" goalkeepers, besides Hart, who I'd rank as average at best.

I'd put them in the same bracket actually. De Gea is a very good goalkeeper but right now he has a mess of a system ahead of him so naturally he's very exposed.

De Gea was probably the best keeper in the league last season whereas Szczesny is bang average for me. I'd put Howard, Begovic and possibly even Mignolet above him.

De Gea was probably the best keeper in the league last season whereas Szczesny is bang average for me. I'd put Howard, Begovic and possibly even Mignolet above him.

Szczesny did well last year, has a lot of clean sheets (most in the league) and made some excellent saves, perhaps Howard and Begovic who are both excellent keepers are on his level but I think Mignolet is slightly overrated tbh. Pretty average IMO, Liverpool would do well to replace him with someone like Lloris for example.

That tweet from Cech :wub:

What an absolute LEGEND this guy is, I really adore him! He came to be a "silent hero" in an era of players like Didier and Lamps. He gave so much for this club and not a single complaint, I can't remember him wanting to leave or something close to it in 10 years in which he has served this club. I am really glad he decided to stay even though he had every right to pursue first team football which he could easily find elsewhere. I truly believe he can help the team, even if not directly on the field.

I wish the fans chanted his name more, he deserves it.

In name only, reality is we are wasting 100k+ per week on a player who will likely plays no part until his departure next Jan/summer :( Mark is a fine back up imo.

With money saved on wages from players going/loans the cash isn't an issue, and he is obviously happy to stay and fight. I'm not saying Mark isn't a good back up, he is, just Cech is even better and affordable after some great business by the club.

Szczesny would probably go under "Very good" in my estimations. The same for Diego Lopez. The rest are "good" goalkeepers, besides Hart, who I'd rank as average at best.

Interesting. I'm curious to know - subjectively speaking, do you (and/or other coaches you come across) place more emphasis on the things done right, or the things not done wrong? Orthodoxy (Textbook goalkeeping) vs Effectiveness?

Szczesny did well last year, has a lot of clean sheets (most in the league) and made some excellent saves, perhaps Howard and Begovic who are both excellent keepers are on his level but I think Mignolet is slightly overrated tbh. Pretty average IMO, Liverpool would do well to replace him with someone like Lloris for example.

*ahem* Joint-most in the league last season... :readthemessage:

I echo what Alex says on goalkeeping, and as a coach of under 9's and spend a lot of time with our keepers.

Like a house built on poor foundations will never be right, for me it starts at the bottom. I see kids flat footed and it's just way from right, being on your toes makes you set and ready to go either way at any height whether it be low or high.

i read in the last page that lloris is better than cech!!! lloris? seriously? the keeper who makes a mistake every other game. his distribution is downright pathetic. about 4-5 goals the spurs conceded last season were cos his distribution. his shot stopping is no where near as good as cech. he is a brilliant sweeper though but barely changes the fact that he is so error prone.

In your opinion.

From a technical point of view, de Gea is an absolute nightmare of a goalkeeper. I pity his coach. Sometimes I wonder if he has any need to wear gloves because he leads with his feet for absolutely everything - ironic since his actual footwork and movement from his starting position to set position is utterly horrific. He's just a bad, bad goalkeeper from a technical perspective and I feel sorry for any young goalkeeper who tries to emulate him when they're playing in the field with their mates. Szczesny is neat and tidy, a little exuberant at times and a little erratic with his save selection, but he is a bloody effective shot-stopper when he cuts out the fancy stuff.

That might have been true of De Gea a few years ago but he improved under Eric Steele and even Chris Woods. He's a much more composed, reliable keeper now and quite a stable presence.

Where would you rank Keylor Navas?

In my view he's borderline - somewhere between "good" and "very good", but people seem to think he's as good as Lev Yashin or Dino Zoff judging by some of the comments on here after the WC. Neat and tidy, excellent footwork. But is he as good as the likes of Weidenfeller or Lloris? IMO, not quite, but still comfortably one of the top 20-odd.

In my view he's borderline - somewhere between "good" and "very good", but people seem to think he's as good as Lev Yashin or Dino Zoff judging by some of the comments on here after the WC. Neat and tidy, excellent footwork. But is he as good as the likes of Weidenfeller or Lloris? IMO, not quite, but still comfortably one of the top 20-odd.

fair point, if you were Ancelotti would you give him a shot given Cassilas form?

I'm sorry that's a ridiculously long reply, but I felt your very good questions deserved in-depth responses.

Not at all; it was a fascinating read and quite insightful. I had De Gea in mind when asking the questions so your coverage of him was very welcome. Top, top post. Thank you.