Petr Cech

eldo

fair point, if you were Ancelotti would you give him a shot given Cassilas form?

Definitely. Sad to say but Casillas, one of the all time greats, is on a slow but sure decline. Navas is what, 27, 28? Prime years for a goalkeeper, but with plenty of miles left in the tank for future development.

Not at all; it was a fascinating read and quite insightful. I had De Gea in mind when asking the questions so your coverage of him was very welcome. Top, top post. Thank you.

Yeah, de Gea has shown a lot of improvement in recent years. The way they teach goalkeepers in continental Europe is obviously hugely different to how the FA want us to coach over here, and the difference between someone like de Gea and Butland from a technical point of view is quite large, though as the last 2/3 years have shown, de Gea is absolutely an effective GK.

Stick Buffon in that list and I totally agree. There are a lot of "good" goalkeepers in the world right not, but only four world-class ones.

For instance:

World-class - Cech, Neuer, Thibaut, Buffon

VERY Good - Weidenfeller, Lloris, etc.

Good - Sirigu, de Gea, Leno, Mandanda, etc.

Buffon IMO wasnt as good past two years...You seriously underrate Handanovic who was best GK in italy for past two years. Lloris has his fall outs, so I would put him into ''good'' only...as is Weidenfeller. Howard for me is very good, despite being a cunt.

Buffon IMO wasnt as good past two years...You seriously underrate Handanovic who was best GK in italy for past two years. Lloris has his fall outs, so I would put him into ''good'' only...as is Weidenfeller. Howard for me is very good, despite being a cunt.

Buffon was BY FAR the best keeper in Italy last season. I've said this before, but it was one of the best seasons in his career. The two seasons before that he was often injured and out of form.

PS: Handanovic's footwork is rather poor. And it takes him about half an hour to get down to a low shot.

Buffon was BY FAR the best keeper in Italy last season. I've said this before, but it was one of the best seasons in his career. The two seasons before that he was often injured and out of form.

PS: Handanovic's footwork is rather poor. And it takes him about half an hour to get down to a low shot.

Not hard to be in a Juve team that is top 15 in Europe in a horrible declining league mate. Also helps when you have the likes of Vidal, Pirlo, Marchisio, Bonucci, Chiellini...etc in front of you against Immobile as the league's best striker.

I know you are juve fan and Buffon was amazing for decade, but he was quite average last two seasons, that includes CL and World cup. Last time he was truly amazing was in euros 2012, but then dropped form..

Yeah Handanovic isnt best at footwork, but he is great at shot stopping. Doubt there is better one at penalty keeping, if you look for past few years, Handa kept them on regular basis.

Not hard to be in a Juve team that is top 15 in Europe in a horrible declining league mate. Also helps when you have the likes of Vidal, Pirlo, Marchisio, Bonucci, Chiellini...etc in front of you against Immobile as the league's best striker.

Not talking about numbers, but about performances and he was brilliant last season in so many matches.

I know you are juve fan and Buffon was amazing for decade, but he was quite average last two seasons, that includes CL and World cup. Last time he was truly amazing was in euros 2012, but then dropped form..

Yeah Handanovic isnt best at footwork, but he is great at shot stopping. Doubt there is better one at penalty keeping, if you look for past few years, Handa kept them on regular basis.

You're talking about the only two Juve matches you've probably watched last season i.e. against Real, but those two mistakes are literally the only two he made all season. He was amazing in the league pulling off incredible saves at critical times very often in matches.

I think people are looking at shot stopping alone. Distribution, claiming crosses, controlling your defence is just as important as good shot stopping ability. For instance, Mignolet is a HORRIBLE goalkeeper, but he's one of the best shot stoppers in Europe

I think people are looking at shot stopping alone. Distribution, claiming crosses, controlling your defence is just as important as good shot stopping ability. For instance, Mignolet is a HORRIBLE goalkeeper, but he's one of the best shot stoppers in Europe

It's the same reason a clown like Casillas was so highly rated at one point. I've always considered him an overrated fraud of a keeper.

Petr has shown his class by not throwing his toys out of the pram, privately he must be disappointed with losing his place but he is showing his character by staying and fighting to get his place back though it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see him leave in January, think he'll review his options then.

For me the best keeper in the Prem by a country mile was the Cardiff keeper (Marshall I think?) The boy was outstanding for them last season so he gets my vote, as for top in the world? Difficult to assess, however we have 2 of them and thats all that matters, most believe Neuer, decent choice but watching him play in the WC for Germany he would scare the fuck out of me if he played for us as whilst I like keepers to play as an unorthodox sweeper he cuts a very fine line, as he tends to stand so far out most of the time, I would be telling my players to look at his position during games and take a chance to lob him. Hart would of been in my list of top 5 but he has lost his way in the last season or so, still young enough to recapture the form that got him to where he is but another mistake at the weekend could see him dropped for City's next game.

Petr has shown his class by not throwing his toys out of the pram, privately he must be disappointed with losing his place but he is showing his character by staying and fighting to get his place back though it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see him leave in January, think he'll review his options then.

For me the best keeper in the Prem by a country mile was the Cardiff keeper (Marshall I think?) The boy was outstanding for them last season so he gets my vote, as for top in the world? Difficult to assess, however we have 2 of them and thats all that matters, most believe Neuer, decent choice but watching him play in the WC for Germany he would scare the fuck out of me if he played for us as whilst I like keepers to play as an unorthodox sweeper he cuts a very fine line, as he tends to stand so far out most of the time, I would be telling my players to look at his position during games and take a chance to lob him. Hart would of been in my list of top 5 but he has lost his way in the last season or so, still young enough to recapture the form that got him to where he is but another mistake at the weekend could see him dropped for City's next game.

Neuer is extremely quick at getting off his line and recovering. Hence, lobbing him isn't as easy as it sounds. But I agree the way he plays can give people heart attacks.

For me Neuer, Cech and Courtois are pretty even in basic goalkeeping abilities and shot stopping. You could argue that Neuer has better reflexes, Courtois is better in the air etc. The difference isn't extremely obvious though. But it's in what else Neuer offers that makes him stand out above our 2 keepers. He does his basic job right and is very competent with his feet. When chasing a game he can add pressure too by allowing the team to push up and he adds an extra man in attack. I don't think Cech and Courtois can offer that.

• 2 weeks later...