Cesc Fàbregas

Tomo

I thought it was a very big drop in performance. [Against Sporting] He went from being the engine of the whole team and the architect who designs the attacks and controls the tempo, to fairly limited impact on our attack, mostly through set-pieces. Salah, Schurrle and even Matic had a much bigger impact on our attack and general play than him.

Wow, I'm going to have to watch the game again to try to understand how our impressions of Cesc's performance on Wednesday can be so different.

Call it whatever you want, I don't think he plays nearly as well in the number ten role in our system as Oscar or Willian.

I thought it was a very big drop in performance. He went from being the engine of the whole team and the architect who designs the attacks and controls the tempo, to fairly limited impact on our attack, mostly through set-pieces. Salah, Schurrle and even Matic had a much bigger impact on our attack and general play than him.

No idea what you're talking about. Fabregas had a good game and looked comfortable.

Fabregas is untouchable. He is with Costa the best payer of the season so far... and when compared with Oscar... there is no doubt. If it's better to play with Ramires in some games, the one to be dropped is Oscar.

FOr me Fabregas was the best player against Sporting again.

I thought he was largely influential in the game. Oscar and Willian usually have a lot more impact on the match in that position.

Not when we're going forward. Fabregas controlled the game at the number 10 last game.

I do agree he's better for us deeper but that doesn't mean he won't perform well in a more advanced position.

Not when we're going forward. Fabregas controlled the game at the number 10 last game.

I do agree he's better for us deeper but that doesn't mean he won't perform well in a more advanced position.

The question is whether he can perform there better than Oscar and Willian. I don't think so, although, like we said above, there isn't exactly a large sample to judge on.

The question is whether he can perform there better than Oscar and Willian. I don't think so, although, like we said above, there isn't exactly a large sample to judge on.

Even then, I don't think we can compare Oscar's and Willian's roles at number 10 to Fabregas'. Against Sporting, Fab played a lot more like a true number 10 since he effectively had two shields in Matic and Mikel behind him. He wasn't given the same duties as Willian or Oscar would usually have at #10.

Even then, I don't think we can compare Oscar's and Willian's roles at number 10 to Fabregas'. Against Sporting, Fab played a lot more like a true number 10 since he effectively had two shields in Matic and Mikel behind him. He wasn't given the same duties as Willian or Oscar would usually have at #10.

Was it because he had different duties or because he is unable to play like Oscar and Willian?

Was it because he had different duties or because he is unable to play like Oscar and Willian?

Both. Fabregas isn't a defensive beast like Oscar or Willian so of course that's impossible. However when it comes to being a pure number 10 he's much better than both.

Both. Fabregas isn't a defensive beast like Oscar or Willian so of course that's impossible. However when it comes to being a pure number 10 he's much better than both.

Yes, and both our attacking and defensive systems are built with a number ten (if you could even call it that) like Willian and Oscar. We would need to alter our pressing system and the dynamics of our movements in the final third if we want to play Cesc there in bigger games. That's exactly my point.

Willian and Oscar aren't better at defending in the pivot. There's two types of defending, down hill or up hill. Oscar & Willian defend up hill as they are very good at pressing and winning the football. Cesc on the otherhand prefers to defend deeper, make smart tackles and smart movement. Both are good at defending but Fab is better in the pivot and Oscar & Willian better higher up.