Will any youngsters make it at Chelsea anymore?

This is a genuine question that got me thinking lately. Will any of the youngsters that we bought from very early age(16-19) for low fees or got no hype like Zouma, Courtois making it into the 1st team here?

Nowadays if we need anymore, we just go out and buy them, we don't really get youngsters from academy/on loan to step up. We need a CB, so we go and sign Zouma. We need a LB, we will probably go and sign Shaw. We need a mid, we signed Matic. We need a ST, we will sign Costa/Cavani/Rooney. While our players like Piazon, Feruz, Kalas, Wallace...etc will probably never make it here. Because unless they becomes Messi-like they would likely be not as good as OTHER YOUNGSTERS IN EUROPE such as Zouma, Mangala, Shaw, Matic...etc

Players like Troure will also really unlikely to make it here no matter how you look at it. The days of Terry will probably never happen again, unless we lower our expectations for trophies/seasons which will not be tolerated because we are now one of the best club in the world.

The likes of Lukaku, Courtois who are already considered world class in their age also faces a fight to make it here, there are even rumors going around that they would be sold in the summer(really hope it is bs but we don't know with Jose in charge)

So do any of you see this trench changing or will it keep developing? Will any of OUR youngsters like Josh, Feruz...etc ever make it into the team at Chelsea?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1, 2 maybe 3 of them. Most of the players out on loan were never meant to be in the first team here. We buy young players with potential, loan them out so they develop. We keep the best, who we think can be Chelsea quality and sell the rest off when they've developed a bit and are worth a nice penny. That's the plan. :cool:

1, 2 maybe 3 of them. Most of the players out on loan were never meant to be in the first team here. We buy young players with potential, loan them out so they develop. We keep the best, who we think can be Chelsea quality and sell the rest off when they've developed a bit and are worth a nice penny. That's the plan. :cool:

I would be delighted if we saw 3  make it ,,but certainly  dont expect it . More likely one will get a few games like Bertrand  then sold .

There does seem to be the patten of loan....loan...loan...poof gone.Some as they werent good enough and others in a chance really to go somewhere as they werent gana with us.

Do remember reading in the year we played Arsenal in the Carling Cup and everyone was raving about their young team blah de blah.Jose saying he'd want to play more of the youth players and bring more through sorta thing but due to pressure to get results and win trophies didnt feel could take such a risk and stick with proven players

the first and the most important thing for youth to develop in any team is the manager. lets take mceachran as an example. the 17 year old boy was shown incredible faith in, by carlo ancelotti. if carlo had continued i am sure he would have integrated mceachran in the team, moulded him, worked on his defects and made him into a far better player than he is right now. but due to absolutely no consistency in the managers, in fact due to the managerial chairs that has been going on at the club, its not suprising that no player has come thru the ranks. why would an interim manager like hiddink/rafa even care about our youth? managers like avram, rdm and avb had enough pressure to deal with anyways than risk losing a couple of matches here and there cos of trying to promote the youth.

but now i feel things are going to be a lot different. jose is here to say. u can take a look at the way we have dealt in the transfer window, u can take a look at the profile of our players and simply say we are JOSE's team. in a couple of years, i am pretty sure some of the youth will be given a chance. i have no doubt about JOSE's eye for talent and i have no doubt that any1 deserving would make the team in the coming years.

my prediction.

bamford as squad - ST

traore, piazon as AMs

chalobah  as DM

ake as DEF.

from the current group of loaned out ACADEMY players (players like courtois, lukaku, romeu are not counted).

I think we might be forced to because the league demands British players or at least players formed here. They'll probably only be squad members to reach the quota though. If there wasn't such regulation, I'm positive none of them - except the ones that prove to be really class - would make it here. Which is deeply sad.

Well isn't the club required to carry association trained players? Mou said he wants to fill in a few spots on the first team with academy players next season. The players on loan are still very young and have a ways to go, too early to call.

Tbh the manager should look at young players and go 'I want him' so in say 3 years he'll fit into his philosophy and he won't have to be loaned out 4030403 times because a manager isn't particularly keen on him. When you have a director of football or a scout picking every young player and them being signed without a managers approval its hard for them to make it as the manager could not be entirely keen on them in the end. If you had say Mourinho going I want to sign player X so in 3-5 years he will be 20 and fit my philosophy and be ready, then fair enough but we don't have that. The changes in managers every few years or however many every year hasn't helped any of the youngsters, if Carlo was still here Josh would be more of a regular player I feel. 

Lukaku and Courtois next season. Possibly Zouma in the future

Will be interesting to see if Lukaku becomes a regular at Chelsea...he's still got a long way to go in terms of development

I think we'll see Courtois and Piazon next season...with the likes of Zouma, Traore in the long run.

I think we might be forced to because the league demands British players or at least players formed here. They'll probably only be squad members to reach the quota though. If there wasn't such regulation, I'm positive none of them - except the ones that prove to be really class - would make it here. Which is deeply sad.

Yup we need to have homegrown players i am told... now the team is balanced but next season leaves a lot to suspense......

When romeu was asked at valencia if he will stay permanently he was very confident in saying mourinho has plans for him....

When mourinho was brought in this season i am sure the agreement was he gets total control of team and strategy but gotta keep a positive budget and bring youth players(<22)

piazon and atsu and traore will break into the team and piazon is being used more like srtiker now at vitesse(rumours are players are being played the way chelsea wants @ vitesse ...)

Yesterday against barca romeu was really good...positive passing and good reading of the game and this is against xavi and fabregas!!

omeru pvg is most certain to break into team next season along with zouma...

Zouma, pvg , bamford(gr8 finisher!!) , romeu and lukaku  are my bets for next season...

we need one more AM for the bench and hoping for piazon or traore

Because unless they becomes Messi-like they would likely be not as good as OTHER YOUNGSTERS IN EUROPE such as Zouma, Mangala, Shaw, Matic...etc

Well what the fuck do you want the club to do then? It's up to the players and their effort and talent. It's not like the club has a conspiracy against its youth. If we have the cash to buy X player, why would we pick the less good Y instead for the mere reason he comes from the academy?

Do you want to know a secret? I kid you not: The academy only exists to serve the club in its quest for glory. The purpose of a club is NOT to serve the academy players, the academy players are to serve the club. It's ONE small division out of several other divisions that compose what we know as Chelsea FC. And do you know what's another division? The transfer committee. And guess what, they ALL work towards the same goal.

My point is that the academy is valued only because it serves an interest. If the young players can't break into the first team, or are not good enough to tempt the club away from spending, then it is nothing short of ridiculous to suggest the club should somehow make an effort to sacrifice the quality of the team and trophies just so it can take pride on having found the not-so-right players earlier.

Considering every club's goal is to win trophies, under normal conditions every single club in the world would be splashing millions everywhere and close down its academy if it could afford to. The clubs that make use of their academy more are the ones that wish they could spend but can't. We can. Deal with it.

People are quick to talk about Barcelona's academy but Barcelona just inherited a golden generation. Not to mention several of their academy players (such as Pique and Fabregas) were actually rebought because they were originally snubbed in favor of others which the club BOUGHT. There's nothing special about it. Look at the top 20 most expensive transfers in football history and Barcelona is all over it.