Samuel Eto'o

nadavTKL

Conclusion

Eto'o hasn't been great, but he is still Chelsea's best option up front, given his experience, confidence and intelligence off the ball. By running the channels and trying to get in behind he is opening up space (or at least trying too) - something that Torres does not do well at all

Thankgod im not the only one that notices that. Despite Torres's ok performance tonight, it has to be Eto'o for Spurs still.

Eto'o

free transfer

3 games 0 goals

better movement and link up than we are used to, still adapting.

Torres 100+ games 30 odd goals

50 FUCKING MILLIONSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

terrible movement, terrible link up play, terrible chance conversion rate, terrible in general.

Please take a step back and refrain from saying Torres is better than Eto'o after 3 games. PLEASE.

I find this pretty funny. I'm not Torres apologist, I personally think that the three strikers should be rotated based on matchups with Eto's getting the most time, but this gives Eto'o credit for neutral or negative play. Taking 9 shots in 2 league games is only a positive if they actually lead to goals. Taking lots of shots is not, of itself, a virtue. Same with spending time in the penalty area. It, in itself is not a positive, it depends what you're doing there and outside the box.. And all this is based on 2, 3 games anyway? You can't get remotely enough statistical date to prove anything based on that. Come on!!! Eto'o is probably our best bet at striker,

I feel youhave not finished the post, but I agree with you on that!

Eto'o

free transfer

3 games 0 goals

better movement and link up than we are used to, still adapting.

Torres 100+ games 30 odd goals

50 FUCKING MILLIONSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

terrible movement, terrible link up play, terrible chance conversion rate, terrible in general.

Please take a step back and refrain from saying Torres is better than Eto'o after 3 games. PLEASE.

The price has nothing to do with anything here. We need to pick our best striker regardless. I think the three are close to each other atm and I wouldn't put anyone ahead of another.

Mark Lawrenson does have his ups and downs, but he is spot on in what he says here:

"Sammy Eto'o needs to adjust to the Premier League after arriving from Anzhi - if he can get back to the level he was before he went to Russia in 2011, then he can solve Chelsea's striking problems.

"At the moment, it doesn't look like he is the answer, but we should judge him after he has played 10 games."

Honestly, I think that even great Drogba in his prime wouldnt be effective in current team right now.

Our creative players are overrated as hell, great individuals but they are fucked up as a whole team. No connection and stability.

Mark Lawrenson does have his ups and downs, but he is spot on in what he says here:

"Sammy Eto'o needs to adjust to the Premier League after arriving from Anzhi - if he can get back to the level he was before he went to Russia in 2011, then he can solve Chelsea's striking problems.

"At the moment, it doesn't look like he is the answer, but we should judge him after he has played 10 games."

it does seem strange agreeing with that tosser but ..yes....

Eto'o making a difference despite lack of goals Squawka stats uploaded on Eurosport regarding Eto'o. 9.8% of the time he's outside the box, Torres. No wonder he can't score.
en-plff-promo_banner-630__44.jpg

240913etoo-samuel.jpgSamuel Eto'o signed for Chelsea to add some experience, quality and goals to the side. He has started Chelsea's last three fixtures but during that time he has failed to find the back of the net.

Here's our assessment of the former Anzhi forward's first few games for Chelsea.

Statistical Analysis:

One point worth noting is that Samuel Eto'o has had more shots than the other Chelsea forwards, with eight shots in his two appearances for Chelsea, half of which were on target. Against Fulham he had two of these efforts, with a further effort blocked.

chelsgoals.jpgFernando Torres on the other hand had his first shot on target of the season against Fulham, having had just two other attempts (both of which were off target). Despite the fact Torres has featured in four games so far, this shows how dismal his performances have been. Neither player has been prolific, but Eto'o is more effective, given that he has threatened more regularly.

From a tactical viewpoint, despite his age Eto'o is also trying to spin in behind defences and create an outlet for his side. He has won two out of four dribbles this season, which shows that he is trying to make things happen. Torres on the other hand (who has featured in two more games) has completed just one of four dribbles.

celsdribbles.jpgA glance at the players' Action-Area graphics confirms that Eto'o is the more effective striker. Eto'o is looking to operate in the most attacking portion of the pitch: the opposition box.

etooaction.jpgSamuel Eto'o Action Areas v Fulham

Spending 38.10% of the game in the penalty area as well as spending a total of 20% in the wide areas shows that is Eto'o is peeling off to get into space as well as running in behind. Even at 32, his movement is intelligent, even if his first touch and sharpness in front of goal haven't been good enough yet.

Torres on the other hand, is not as effective at this. Often playing with his back to goal and coming too deep to ever really impact on the game in front of goal. From his start versus Hull we can see this:

torreactiosn.jpgFernando Torres Action Areas v Hull

Torres only spends 9.80% of the game in the penalty area, with most of his action coming outside the box, in the area we'd expect a No. 10 to play in. This is the crucial difference. By playing in more advanced areas, Eto'o is opening up space for his team-mates, rather than over-crowding the attacking midfield area (which is already crowded enough).

Conclusion

Eto'o hasn't been great, but he is still Chelsea's best option up front, given his experience, confidence and intelligence off the ball. By running the channels and trying to get in behind he is opening up space (or at least trying too) - something that Torres does not do well at all

Come on dude, come on. After Etoo started in the team he played 3 full games and has 0 goals and 0 assists. Torres has one goal and one assist. All those stats are useless, since he is not scoring goals and the team is not playing any better since the became a regular starter.

Oh really?

After all your stupid support for Fernando Torres when he couldn't score a goal after 50 games you jump straight on Etos back when he can't score in 3 games?

Bloody typical.

Thats not the case. If you buy new guys, you expect him to add something different and to solve a problem the team has. Right now Etoo is NOT the answer, in fact he lost many chances against Everton. Yeah, Etoo played only 3 games this season, but Mourinho has been tough with his players (Luiz was left out after a bad game, Mata went out of favor after few matches playing out of position, Schurlle was dropped after his bad game against Everton), so I dont see any reason to Mourinho give Etoo this kind of credit.

I also dont know why fans should be lenient with Etoo, he is not a new face, he is not a player for the future. We all know that he is a quick solution, he wont be here next season. If he cant provide as soon as possible what the team needs, people must criticize him.

I didn't expect him to bang goals for us during his first games. He's a 32 y.o quick solution we signed from the russian league, this is like a whole different world to him. I suggest we give him more time before criticizing him for not scoring.

Thats not the case. If you buy new guys, you expect him to add something different and to solve a problem the team has. Right now Etoo is NOT the answer, in fact he lost many chances against Everton. Yeah, Etoo played only 3 games this season, but Mourinho has been tough with his players (Luiz was left out after a bad game, Mata went out of favor after few matches playing out of position, Schurlle was dropped after his bad game against Everton), so I dont see any reason to Mourinho give Etoo this kind of credit.

I also dont know why fans should be lenient with Etoo, he is not a new face, he is not a player for the future. We all know that he is a quick solution, he wont be here next season. If he cant provide as soon as possible what the team needs, people must criticize him.

I was one of the ones against signing Eto'o, but I'm also one of the ones who will show him support because now he is one of our players.

The guy I quoted was a Torres fanboy, for years he posted on here defending Torres making up so many excuses, then Eto'o doesn't score in 3 games and he's already making jokes about him.

We need to show Eto'o support even if we are very disappointed, it's a different signing compared to Torres, Torres has shown no heart or determination, we bought him for 50 million. Eto'o runs around all the time and actually wants to do something.

someone rated him 1/10 in the post match thread.

i thought he was even better than just "decent", to be honest.

That would be me. He was terrible, it's like we have a man down. He never looks like actually scoring, he constantly just misfired or hit the goalie, only got the 'goal' with help from the opposition. Lol.

Bad, we got him 5 years too late.

I hope he improves I always want people to do well but so far very poor.

That would be me. He was terrible, it's like we have a man down. He never looks like actually scoring, he constantly just misfired or hit the goalie, only got the 'goal' with help from the opposition. Lol.

Bad, we got him 5 years too late.

I hope he improves I always want people to do well but so far very poor.

i seriously dont think so. also i dont wanna get into an argument cos i am too happy.

anyways i felt he was good. should have got a goal. good movement and workrate.