Samuel Eto'o

nadavTKL

First, there is the obvious fact that Eto’o didn’t score, and while a striker can’t be expected to score in every game, there is still the fact that Eto’o missed two clear-cut scoring opportunities. One of those two was, more-or-less, an open goal, and he missed a further four times from scoring opportunities.

It’s not all doom and gloom for him though, and the simple fact that Eto’o had 6 shots should not be over-looked. Taking this game by itself, Eto’o had a shot every 15 minutes.

That is a very significant stat when you consider that Torres averaged a shot every 49 minutes last season, and so far this season is averaging one every 63 minutes. Similarly, Ba is only averaging 1 shot every 65 minutes this season (having had just one shot in 65 minutes against Aston Villa).

Eto’o may not have scored in this game, but when you have a striker who manages to shoot every 15 minutes, compared to another two who average a single shot every hour, you will always select the former. Moreover, all of the world’s top goals scorers will have the common statistic of shooting more than other players, and many of them won’t even have respectable conversion rates. This won’t matter however because if a player is shooting much more than most then he is far more likely to score more goals. Obviously.

So Chelsea can draw confidence from the fact that at least Eto’o seemed to create his own opportunities, find himself in goal scoring positions, and most of all, back himself to take the shot.

At this point there is little more that can be taken out of one performance. He wasn’t clinical, although the whole team has been similarly wasteful throughout the first four games. The optimists among us can put it down to him being rusty and take confidence from the number of shots he managed to take. The pessimists will say that a striker is judged on his goals, and that the 6 shots per game mean nothing if they are not scored.

For me, there may not have been an end product, but there certainly was danger.

Interesting piece. There are some stats, and the same vid posted above in addition to more to the article @ http://eplindex.com/40394/samuel-eto-o-statistical-analysis-everton-personal-highlights.html

Now, did I just read that Torres is (or has ever been) more technical than Eto'o? :blink:

Eto,o creates more chances than any other striker I have seen in chelsea in the last 10years. I remember when he was at barca he would create 8 chances miss 6 and score 2(especially against smaller teams). He has poor conversion rate compared to the chances he creates but is exceptionally good in creating those chances and still scores a lot despite his misses and he really creates a lot in any given match. He is always a threat as a centre forward for 90 minutes. We will hate him for some very awful misses but we will also love him for his goal tally, threat, and overall contribution to the team. But most importantly he seems to deliver when it matters.

Are you serious? In what way is Torres technically better than Eto'o?

He has better ball control, dribbling skills and communication...not to forget he's also an aerial threat.

Eto'o might prove to be the better striker this year as he is aggressive and confident.

Torres is the better footballer for me than Eto'o can never be.Period

What? I'm not sure if you're trolling or not. Eto'o never been the better footballer? That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. Where the hell have you been in the last 2 and a half years?

Torres has one of the poorest ball controlling skills in the whole squad, have you not seen how often he loses the ball? He's nowhere near Eto'o's level. To say he has better dribbling skills as well is mind baffling and to say you think Eto'o isn't an aerial threat means that you obviously haven't watched him enough at all. How does better "communication" make him a better footballer? Torres is one of the quietest players on the pitch. Not sure what you've been watching. Torres has NEVER been a technical striker. When it comes to pure footballing skill, Eto'o is miles ahead, don't know how anyone could think otherwise.

I'm not going to say much because I'm genuinely baffled how anyone could (especially a Chelsea fan who's endured crap over the last two and a half years) think Torres is the better footballer... That's similar to saying Torres is better than Drogba. I'm just going to let Eto'o do the talking himself over the course of the season.

Well, this kind of putting down is why this forum is getting a lot of criticism from its members lately. I understand you don't agree with me but negating all my points and attributing it to your guy is just fucking ridiculous.

Even our best player Hazard gives the ball away more times than Mikel. So in your opinion, Mikel is the guy on our squad with the most ball control? Torres has more flair in his dribbling than Eto'o.

C'mon, you can't be serious in posting Eto'o is the better aerial threat. Also by 'communication', i mean linking up play and making great 1-2s. Torres used to do a better job there.

I made it abundantly clear that Eto'o will do well this season, even better than Torres for that matter.

I was putting it that Torres as a whole is a better package than Eto'o.

I'm not sure how high you are to drag Drogs here.

Cheers

What? I'm not sure if you're trolling or not. Eto'o never been the better footballer? That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. Where the hell have you been in the last 2 and a half years?

Torres has one of the poorest ball controlling skills in the whole squad, have you not seen how often he loses the ball? He's nowhere near Eto'o's level. To say he has better dribbling skills as well is mind baffling and to say you think Eto'o isn't an aerial threat means that you obviously haven't watched him enough at all. How does better "communication" make him a better footballer? Torres is one of the quietest players on the pitch. Not sure what you've been watching. Torres has NEVER been a technical striker. When it comes to pure footballing skill, Eto'o is miles ahead, don't know how anyone could think otherwise.

I'm not going to say much because I'm genuinely baffled how anyone could (especially a Chelsea fan who's endured crap over the last two and a half years) think Torres is the better footballer... That's similar to saying Torres is better than Drogba. I'm just going to let Eto'o do the talking himself over the course of the season.

Well, this kind of putting down is why this forum is getting a lot of criticism from its members lately. I understand you don't agree with me but negating all my points and attributing it to your guy is just fucking ridiculous.

Even our best player Hazard gives the ball away more times than Mikel. So in your opinion, Mikel is the guy on our squad with the most ball control? Torres has more flair in his dribbling than Eto'o.

C'mon, you can't be serious in posting Eto'o is the better aerial threat. Also by 'communication', i mean linking up play and making great 1-2s. Torres used to do a better job there.

I made it abundantly clear that Eto'o will do well this season, even better than Torres for that matter.

I was putting it that Torres as a whole is a better package than Eto'o.

I'm not sure how high you are to drag Drogs here.

Cheers

Arguable....but let's decide after this season.

Apart from me disagreeing completely with you "Torres is better all round package than Eto'o". How can you deem this season an argument in Torres favour if you are already sure that Eto'o will be "even" (lol) better than Torres.