Marco van Ginkel

Spike

I'm interested to see what role they use him in. In a Chelsea shirt, I kind of think he's been a bit overrated. He's looked pretty reserved in all his appearances (I get that there's not been a lot of those and I'm including pre-season apps) and nothing has really stuck out about him as special except for being hard (sometimes too aggressive) in the tackle. However in the Dutch league of course he was meant to be this box to box midfielder and his goalscoring record was quite impressive in his final season..

I do wonder if right from the off if he's been told to play a more reserved, defensive game by Mourinho, which is fair enough if that's how he sees him but of course it was different to how MVG would have played for Vitesse. So yeah, interested to see the midfield role he has, hopefully we'll see how he does given the chance to make runs forward and drive with the ball (or if indeed he is best as a more defensive player at a top level).

Worrying.

Mikel was such a talent before he came to Chelsea and was forced into a DM role for all his years.

Watch Nigeria games, Mikel is a different player - worried MVG is going the same way.

Mikel was not some amazing attacking talent. Maybe in the ACON he is, but that's probably more to do with the level of competition.

I'm interested to see what role they use him in. In a Chelsea shirt, I kind of think he's been a bit overrated. He's looked pretty reserved in all his appearances (I get that there's not been a lot of those and I'm including pre-season apps) and nothing has really stuck out about him as special except for being hard (sometimes too aggressive) in the tackle. However in the Dutch league of course he was meant to be this box to box midfielder and his goalscoring record was quite impressive in his final season..

I do wonder if right from the off if he's been told to play a more reserved, defensive game by Mourinho, which is fair enough if that's how he sees him but of course it was different to how MVG would have played for Vitesse. So yeah, interested to see the midfield role he has, hopefully we'll see how he does given the chance to make runs forward and drive with the ball (or if indeed he is best as a more defensive player at a top level).

I think he would've fitted quite nicely into this system, alongside Matic and Fabregas.

Mikel was not some amazing attacking talent. Maybe in the ACON he is, but that's probably more to do with the level of competition.

I think he would've fitted quite nicely into this system, alongside Matic and Fabregas.

Mikel wasn't an amazing attacking talent? At one point he and Messi were considered to be the most promising youngsters...

He had clubs like Chelsea and Man Utd all chasing his signature. I get that we're not fans of Mikel, but let's not revision the past.

Mikel wasn't an amazing attacking talent? At one point he and Messi were considered to be the most promising youngsters...

He had clubs like Chelsea and Man Utd all chasing his signature. I get that we're not fans of Mikel, but let's not revision the past.

I'm not trying to 'revision the past' (sic). I was actually responding to the notion that for Nigeria he is some beast player when he really isn't, but yes you have a point that in 2005 he was viewed as a good attacking prospect.

Anyone think he will even comeback here anymore? Unless he becomes top 10 CDM in Serie A next season he won't be good enough. We can easily go out and sign people like Khedira for free next summer or Caravalho for 20m. Point is he is now just someone we are farming then to sell for profit.

• 3 weeks later...

Hope he has a good game, because he hardly endeared himself to Milan fans by his reluctance to join Milan.

as he should. Who wants to go there anyway? I really feel bad for him :(

Also I don't care at all about endearing the likes of you :P (kidding, ofc)