• Ramires
    • Oscar
    • Mata
    • Moses
    • Ba
    • Hazard(sub)
    • Mikel(sub)
    • Torres(sub)

Don't think Cech had a shocker at all. First goal, he maybe shouldn't have come out, but second was perfectly places and there was really nothing he could do because he has to be in between. Luiz should have got his head on it. It was low enough, but he just missed it. He also made a fantastic double save and his save of Luiz's header was especially excellent. De Gea is an impressive if unorthodox shot blocker.

First of all, I did not say Cech had a shocker, just that De Gea was better than him, and considering how highly I rate Cech, I personally expected better from him.

OK, hope we are at least not going to debate the facts; so, Luiz could've, should've headed the ball--disagree myself because that's the most difficult piece of defending for any defender. The same way Cahill could've, should've headed the ball, or not let Hernandez get behind him. Anyway, the fact is nobody did touch the ball other than Rooney... So, what the fuck was Cech doing? Watching and hoping one of his defenders, or perhaps an United player was going to make contact?! That's not the right way to defend those balls. THe GK must defend the shot, until something else takes place; there was no action other than the free kick, and that led to the goal. It is really difficult not to blame Cech there.

Good save on David's missed header, but nothing to write home about as it was just reflex (towards him). I wished he had prevented one of the United goals the same way De Gea did instead though. Who do you think played better, Cech or De Gea?

We have a tendency to blame defenders for conceded goals, and strikers for the lack of goals, but thankfully football is not that simple. Funny how our defending go so much better with the very same players once Mickel got in...

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great 2nd half, the best performance I've seen in a loooong time. But now the contrast in motivation is evident - the team just isn't bothered with lesser games, they just turn up when they feel like it. That isn't good enough. You can't choose the games where you play and where you don't. I remember under Mourinho there was no difference between playing Liverpool in CL or Charlton, the team was fighting in every game.

Anyway, enough about the mood spoilers :P Onto the good stuff. I will talk only about 2nd half as I didn't properly see the first one and since we were behind 2-0 I take it we were shit (and as much as I saw we indeed were). I liked the drive and desire of our team. We spread wide and pressurized as much as we could, stayed compact at the back. Luiz put on a textbook show, he was massive defensively. Midfield looked much better with Mikel, much more composed and solid and it unleashed Ramires. Talking about Ramires, this guy was my MOTM - he was all over the place, harrassing and running and breaking play and scoring. Hazard made all the difference offensively, monster of a performance. Mata was again influential.

All in all this is the kind of team performance I want to see every game, not this lacklustre dross we're now used to. Anyway, I never thought we were going to come back considering the form we're in, but we did it, so all's well. Hell, I didn't even put too much hope on properly contesting MU, glad I was proved wrong and that somewhere deep down there still is some fighting spirit left in the team.

1: If I see "Credit to Benitez for the subs", I may be sick. No credit should be given to an idiot who left Hazard + Mikel out in the first place and started our worst centre-back pairing which led to 2 goals conceded.
2: In general, not good enough. Good, but not great. Attack was fluid although Ba was isolated, and Torres kept summing up his Chelsea career once he was on.
3: Mata is our best player. Hazard is our 2nd best player. 'Nuff said about that.
4: Ashley Cole is now an average player. I couldn't even count the amount of times he failed to track a player and was sliced open. Luke Shaw - come at us bro.
5: Moses is good but today wasn't his day. He should be starting against the Wigan's, Stoke's etc.
6: Oscar on the wing is just...
7: Mikel once on the field, was fine. I expect that level from him EVERY game - but we don't get it every game. So anyone posting in the Mikel thread as I write this "THIS IS WHY HE'S UNDERRATED", I want to poo on you. 2 big errors which led to 2 Man Utd counter-attacks happen within the space of 5 minutes; the first of which he didn't even try and make up for. He just stood there, watching.
8: Ramires, goal aside, I thought wasn't too great. Nice finish I guess.
9: Mata was Mata.
10: Cahill is an average defender who should be playing for an average team.
11: Luiz will not be good enough for us in the centre-back position until we get a proper manager in a la Jose.
12: Azpi doesn't stay wide enough at times. It was good towards the end of the match when he cut in and mingled with Hazard, but during the first half he kept leaving the flank exposed.
13: Lampard shouldn't start these games anymore.
14: Terry - Iva/Luiz shoulda probably been the centre-back pairing.
15: I've said for so long now how much Cech has declined yet always get attacked for my opinion. Hopefully people now see it too. His kicks/passing is beyond awful most of the time and he keeps ball-watching.
16: We only started bossing the game once we played with DI MATTEO'S preferred midfield - Mikel/Rami - MaZaCar (cringe). It should stay that way.
Manager: 4.5/10
Team: 6.8/10
MOTM/Mata: 8/10.

And this is all definite just after one game...

I now see why most people on this forum get there hopes up all the time, and then get them crushed.

I hate Ferdinand with a passion, but you can't go on anything from that. He was probably just patting him on the head, footballers do that in every match, just letting them know fair play, probably saying sorry after he clashed with him. Torres going down like that was just stupid, clear dive and he had no reason to go down.

If anyone should be punished it should be Torres.

Great 2nd half, the best performance I've seen in a loooong time. But now the contrast in motivation is evident - the team just isn't bothered with lesser games, they just turn up when they feel like it. That isn't good enough. You can't choose the games where you play and where you don't. I remember under Mourinho there was no difference between playing Liverpool in CL or Charlton, the team was fighting in every game.

Anyway, enough about the mood spoilers :P Onto the good stuff. I will talk only about 2nd half as I didn't properly see the first one and since we were behind 2-0 I take it we were shit (and as much as I saw we indeed were). I liked the drive and desire of our team. We spread wide and pressurized as much as we could, stayed compact at the back. Luiz put on a textbook show, he was massive defensively. Midfield looked much better with Mikel, much more composed and solid and it unleashed Ramires. Talking about Ramires, this guy was my MOTM - he was all over the place, harrassing and running and breaking play and scoring. Hazard made all the difference offensively, monster of a performance. Mata was again influential.

All in all this is the kind of team performance I want to see every game, not this lacklustre dross we're now used to. Anyway, I never thought we were going to come back considering the form we're in, but we did it, so all's well. Hell, I didn't even put too much hope on properly contesting MU, glad I was proved wrong and that somewhere deep down there still is some fighting spirit left in the team.

The first half was good either. Shit first 15min, but positive overall....

The problem is that we take 1 month to see a great perfomance again. We fight for the most dificult titles, great performances must be common, one every two-three games. And the rest must be at least decent, we cant have a run of 3-4 absolutely disgraceful games and then pull out an Arsenal or a Manure.

Yesterday's game puts a smile on my face, specially because so many members were completely rulling us out. However, how certain are we that this will happen quite often until the end of the season?

I am really gutted we didnt win, cant let lose in Stamford Bridge. It will be more mebarassin than losing 2-1 or 3-2 at Old Toilet!

What a game , more like a rollercoaster . We dominated and we should have won .

Rafa you frickin genious ^__^ , it all went to the plan . We went down , the actual plan was to go down only a goal but the rooney free kick came from no where then he made his mandark sorta changes , hazard came and scored .

Hazard I lub you mate , more than downing :wub: :wub:

Ramires finally had a great game . FINALLY

Mikel lol is he getting anypraise ? He didn't had to do anything -_-

Oh and hey Torres wasn't bad at all -__-

When's the 2nd leg ? We'll win that easily xD

Edited by Backstreet09

Ami, close enough

The "three amigos" was a spoof film about the show biz pantomime version of three Mexicans. In fact, Mexicans are not Spanish, Portugese or French. The three guys in the movie were two Americans and a Canadian.

My comments about the game. Brilliant comeback but there is a sense of disappointment for me as we should have won that game. Our domination second half was amazing and had it not been for a fantastic save from DDG, we would be confirmed semi-finalists. Regardless of the wrong decision to start Ramires and Lampard together, I will give Benitez credit for today. Lampard is a goal threat always but was of sorts today, but when he took of Lampard for Mikel, many surely were surprised and had things not gone our way people would be criticising Rafa most defo for subbing of Lampard to early.

People also say Hazard should have started but maybe it was the best decision for him wreaking havoc coming of the bench. Don't get me wrong apart from Hazard, IMO he is the best player here but in the game against United where we lost this season he started but did not really influence the game. In the two games against United this season where Hazard has come of the bench, he has been the best player and changed the game around so I don't think we should necessarily say that Hazard should have been a definite starter as he may have not have had the same influence had he been starting.

Mata had an excellent game and it was pleasing to see ITV1 give him so much recognition and award him for MOTM. Bossed the game today. I wish Luiz efforts were more recognised as well. Yes, maybe at fault for the second goal and committed a rash challenge but his overall performance was fantastic. Numerous amount of interceptions and creative play at times. Ramires proving he is a very valuable player and Rafa was spot on to keep him on instead of Lampard.

Generaly, it was pleasing to see our players actually give a fuck and are willing to fight, which we have not seen before. There is something about the FA Cup where we have that 'not getting beat attitude' ;)

I hate Ferdinand with a passion, but you can't go on anything from that. He was probably just patting him on the head, footballers do that in every match, just letting them know fair play, probably saying sorry after he clashed with him. Torres going down like that was just stupid, clear dive and he had no reason to go down.

If anyone should be punished it should be Torres.

BFC2H0wCIAAXm8I.jpg

Bro I have to disagree w/ you. There was no reason for the 'bow to the back of the dome. Also I am still pissed when Rio dropped kick Flo in '11. He got away w/ that shit too.

BFC2H0wCIAAXm8I.jpg

Bro I have to disagree w/ you. There was no reason for the 'bow to the back of the dome. Also I am still pissed when Rio dropped kick Flo in '11. He got away w/ that shit too.

Shouldn't the FA charge Ferdinand? It was not seen by the referee so it can now be dealt with.

We always give the game away in the first 30 mins against United for these last 2 years.

Both of their goals were brilliant but both could have been defended with ease. Even though we got a decent result, and I didn't believe in it that much, still it has a sour taste because we could and should have washed them up completely.

Brilliant goal by Hazard and great build up for the second.