UCL Draw Thread

Madmax

Weird logic. Barca attacked faaaaaar better than we did in the 1st leg, created like 20 freaking chances to our one, and we deserved to knock them out?! But on the other hand should have lost to Juve....

What does creating chances even have to do with deserving to win again? the most efficient team wins football matches and that's what we were against Barca.

Against Juve, we barely had any chances and scored 2 goals, Juve had 5 and scored 2, so no they did not deserve to win, who's fault is it they did not take their chances?

I get the feeling your post was just because Juve are your 2nd team, or maybe even first. Because i don't understand how we deserved to knock out Barca, but lose to Juve.

I thought I made it clear in my last post but I'll make it even simpler:

Against Barca:

We WANTED to defend and we defended brilliantly.We were only looking to create one or two chances and take them and that is exactly what we did. They wanted to attack and score but didn't create much. So, we executed our game plan much better than they executed their's. Hence our performance was better than Barca's which is why we deserved to go through.

Against Juve:

We played with Oscar, Mata, and Hazard; we were clearly looking to create chances. We FAILED to do what we set out to do. Juve wanted to stop us from creating and look to score on their fewer chances. They defended very well and DID manage to stop us from creating. They also SUCCEEDED in creating chances from fewer attacks and lesser possession. So they executed their game plan to perfection. They PERFORMED how they wanted to while we failed to do as the manager planned. Hence why their performance was better than ours and why they deserved to win.

2 goals out of 5 chances is decent especially that they were denied by the bar at 2-2. They were unlucky be cause we scored 2 goals from a deflection and a wonder shot.

I never said whoever creates more deserves to win. It's all about your tactics and game plan i.e. what you want to do in the match. If you manage to execute your game plan in a match while stopping your opposition from executing their's then you deserve to win the match. Tell me please, where is the gap in that logic?

And I must say I feel a little offended that you questioned my loyalty. I support Juve, yes, but Chelsea is my life. I criticize Chelsea more because I love it more.

I thought I made it clear in my last post but I'll make it even simpler:

Against Barca:

We WANTED to defend and we defended brilliantly.We were only looking to create one or two chances and take them and that is exactly what we did. They wanted to attack and score but didn't create much. So, we executed our game plan much better than they executed their's. Hence our performance was better than Barca's which is why we deserved to go through.

Against Juve:

We played with Oscar, Mata, and Hazard; we were clearly looking to create chances. We FAILED to do what we set out to do. Juve wanted to stop us from creating and look to score on their fewer chances. They defended very well and DID manage to stop us from creating. They also SUCCEEDED in creating chances from fewer attacks and lesser possession. So they executed their game plan to perfection. They PERFORMED how they wanted to while we failed to do as the manager planned. Hence why their performance was better than ours and why they deserved to win.

2 goals out of 5 chances is decent especially that they were denied by the bar at 2-2. They were unlucky be cause we scored 2 goals from a deflection and a wonder shot.

I never said whoever creates more deserves to win. It's all about your tactics and game plan i.e. what you want to do in the match. If you manage to execute your game plan in a match while stopping your opposition from executing their's then you deserve to win the match. Tell me please, where is the gap in that logic?

And I must say I feel a little offended that you questioned my loyalty. I support Juve, yes, but Chelsea is my life. I criticize Chelsea more because I love it more.

This could go on forever, i'll just keep it short. First off, we did not play with Hazard, Mata and Oscar, Ramires started on the right, meaning it was a slightly defensive set up.

Secondly, i did not question your loyalty, just pointed out your opinion is 'different' because you also support Juve.

Not going to talk about whether they deserved to win or not anymore, i already made my point on why they didn't and you have made yours.

• 1 month later...

At what point can we draw Spurs?

AVB is taking this comp really seriously, it would be fucking great to knock them out of it seen as we were the team to put them in it in the first place!

We can draw Spurs from round of 16 onwards..

Some good teams in that unseeded pot.

Napoli are the ones that stand out for me and they'll certainly be gunning for us after last season.

Inter are in the middle of a much greater transitional period than we are experiencing and Ajax are decent at best, certainly made to look better then they are by City this season. The rest are all perfectly beatable.

If we take it fairly seriously then we have a real good chance of winning it IMO.

Anyone outside Ukr/Russia/Turkey...

I would like to play vs Ajax actualy, they are good team. I hope we go as far possible, but please play with reserve players (Marin, Moses?, Danny, Azpi, Bertrand, Piazon, Feruz maybe, Romeu,...)

I personally dont like this competition. It does not bring money, publicity, technical challenge and it does bring fatigue, unpreparedness, distraction, prank, shame (if you dont win it). For me it is more of a punishment then a consolation prize.

Have said that, it is not like I dont want us to win it. It would be awesome to travel to Amsterdan Arena, I just think it should be placed as our least important objective and we must not risk losing any point by focusing in Europa League.

Made a slight error in explaining how the teams will go into the 'Seeded' and 'Unseeded' pots. Have amended it.

Where's Atletico?

They're through but just not confirmed where they'll finish in their group yet.