UCL Draw Thread

Madmax

Its not my fault if you can't read. It really isn't.

Ad hominem

Well at first you said confidence because you are the CL champs, which means we cannot win. A draw is the best result. Then you said because we are better, which doesn't really mean anything as there isn't a real gulf in class.

Its unlikely. Not impossible.

Why is it unlikely?

If Juve are playing to there best they can take us to the cleaners. Let's hope that doesn't happen but there is no reason why they cannot do that. They have some amazing talent and will push anyone on there day. I read a lot of comments from Madrid fans about Juve a few years back how they had no chance of beating them but every game they played they pushed them to the limit.

We might be European Champions but there is still so much gelling for the squad to do before we are again that unstoppable force. We are trying so many different things and we do not have a set formation in which we like playing. But at the same time that could work to our advantage in terms of formation. If we have all guns firing we could beat Juve or any other team by 2 or 3 goals but if we don't any team can beat us just as we saw last season.

In Seria A. A league on the decline.

I believe your entire speech about Chelsea being ahead of Juve(which is true, but not as much as you think) is based on this.

It is true that Serie A is on the decline, but we still had(last season) some good teams: Milan passed against arsenal, which finished third in the last PL. Napoli managed to go through the round stage against ManC, which won your league. they were eliminated from Chelsea, but you lost the first match.

against these teams we lost only once in the national cup(4 games against Milan, 3 against Napoli) and finished the Serie A undefeated, playing also against Inter, Roma, Lazio, Udinese and other good teams.

You are, of course, in advantage, but I think you are being a little bit too confident, especially because I really don't think you saw a lot Juve games last year. maybe you don't know we had the third ball possession in europe(behind barca and bayern) and the best defense.

And btw, Barzagli last year was our best centre back(better than thiago silva), so if you think Chiellini is our best defender you are in for a surprise! =)

we will see who is right, I think there will be 2 balanced games, with you slightly ahead! =)

Apart from Bendtner, who else can play in the Juve attack?

I think Bendtner isn't going to play because I read somewhere that he has gained too much weight over the summer and now needs more time to get his match fitness back. That leaves them with Giovinco, Vucinic, Matri and Quaqliarella in attack and from those guys I would say we need to be most concerned about Giovinco, he's class.

I think Bendtner isn't going to play because I read somewhere that he has gained too much weight over the summer and now needs more time to get his match fitness back. That leaves them with Giovinco, Vucinic, Matri and Quaqliarella in attack and from those guys I would say we need to be most concerned about Giovinco, he's class.

Doesnt Giovinco play on the wing? If they are playing 352, who do you think will be the 2 upfront?

Doesnt Giovinco play on the wing? If they are playing 352, who do you think will be the 2 upfront?

Maybe he can play on the wings too but in Juve's formation Giovinco definitely occupies one of the two attacker positions because their wide players are more of wing-backs rather wingers and there's no way they are playing Seba there. In their first two league games Juve have played Giovinco and Vucinic up front in their 3-5-2 so I see no reason for them to play any differently against us if they don't have any injuries before the game.

Juventus do not player with wingers.

When they play a 4-3-3, they play with the usual defence, a deep-lying playmaker in Pirlo, and 2 box-to-box midfielders in Vidal and Marchisio/Asamoah. The "3" in attack is more like.. well, it's hard to explain.

It's usually Matri through the middle, Giovinco as a SUPPORTING striker (not a winger), and then Vucinic who drifts wide to become a winger when he wants, or plays like a 2nd-striker.

When they play a 3-5-2, they play with 3 central defenders, 2 wings-backs (De Ceglie/Asamoah on the left; Lich/Isla on the right), the usual MVP midfield combo like in the 4-3-3, and then 2 up-top (usually Vucinic and Matri/Giovinco) who can do as they please.

Giovinco has become more of a supporting striker. You will see us play either Gio, Matri or Vucinic. In those two positions. It will be the 3-5-2, if we do play the 4-3-3 it would be one of Giovinco or Vucinic on the left and Pepe on the right. Don't believe that Bendtner stuff, its all crap.

I read a lot of comments from Madrid fans about Juve a few years back how they had no chance of beating them but every game they played they pushed them to the limit.

I remember those games! :D

From memory Del Piero smashed in either a curling long shot a free kick, possibly both.

Bloody hell, Juve are getting underestimated a bit here.

They have just gone unbeaten in their league and don't give me the weak league crap it may not be as strong as it use to be but only the PL, La Liga and possibly the Bundesliga are ahead.

In 2004 Serie A was the strongest league in the world while the PL only really had one stand out team which was ironically another team that went the season unbeaten, but would you class the 6th place team in Serie A that season whoever it was better than Arsenal back then?

Its ironic that Vidal and Pirlo would be fantastic options for our double pivot right now, if Mikel doesn't keep on the latter tight, he will rip us to pieces.

Not to worry, we're at our best when the opposition team are light years ahead of us.

Its when we face teams on or below our level like Atletico or soon-to-be Corinthians that we run into trouble. Juve are on our level, perhaps with their midfield, a shade ahead of us. But I'm still confident. They haven't played CL football in a few years, they may be lacking a bit experience wise. Especially up front, Del Piero offered a lot and Bendtner is frankly rubbish.

Shakthar away and Juventus away should be the only fixtures that we could lose. We should at least take a point against Juventus at home and 3 against Shakthar at home.

Bloody hell, Juve are getting underestimated a bit here.

They have just gone unbeaten in their league and don't give me the weak league crap it may not be as strong as it use to be but only the PL, La Liga and possibly the Bundesliga are ahead.

In 2004 Serie A was the strongest league in the world while the PL only really had one stand out team which was ironically another team that went the season unbeaten, but would you class the 6th place team in Serie A that season whoever it was better than Arsenal back then?

Its ironic that Vidal and Pirlo would be fantastic options for our double pivot right now, if Mikel doesn't keep on the latter tight, he will rip us to pieces.

Very good post my friend!