Jase

Man of the Match  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is Your Man of the Match?

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A pretty dull match in honesty, but that was actually a refreshing change. How long has it been since you had to pick between 3 defensive-minded players for MOTM (Azpi, Ivanovic, Ramires).

Ivanovic has to play in central defence for the foreseeable future. He dominated everything in the air and was a rock.

Azpilicueta could be a real gem. Solid in defence, strong, pacy and good going forward.

Luiz didn't do anything stupid. Hurrah. His decline over the last few games under RDM was getting worrying but he kept it simple today.

Rami was brilliant, especially after Mikel went off. Kept it simple and didn't go too far forward.

Essentially we saw Rafa just go back to basics and tighten everything up. Unfortunately we were pretty toothless going forward. I thought Mata had his worst game for a while, whilst Oscar and Hazard worked hard but didn't create much.

And Torres.....he got what he wanted. Twice he was put through against the City defence and both times he failed to out run their defenders. His pace just seems to have disappeared and he hasn't learnt how to play without it like Shearer did towards the end of his career. He's still an instinctive finisher but a combination of low confidence and no burst means he's going to struggle to score unless he changes his game.

All in all, a decent point against an extremely well-organised team (very impressed with City today).

Scouse cunts saying how classless we are for booing him. Thick chavs, there is a reason and it is the way he has spoken about our club in the past. They are so hypocritical too, look how they were calling for hodgson to go after about a month, most of them wanted rafa to go too. They should shut up and focus on their relegation battle the stupid cunts.

That was terrible too. He would never dare to try the same with Ferguson. He always picks on the foreign managers.

Also remembered he cut off AVB's interview last season after that 3-3 draw against United. Got hammered a bit by AVB but his face reaction was priceless though. :lol:

Also remembered he cut off AVB's interview last season after that 3-3 draw against United. Got hammered a bit by AVB but his face reaction was priceless though. :lol:

HAHA don't really blame him for that one. AVB was a bit long winded lol

Having had time to reflect I'm pretty happy with that. City are one of the most dangerous teams in the league, and we not only shut them out but I thought for the most part looked pretty comfortable in doing it. I can't remember any real clear chances that they had. The defense looked a much more solid unit together - David Luiz played as a defender first and foremost today and it showed in a much stronger performance. I thought Azpi was superb and justified my recent requests that he play at RB over Brana. He is just a much more natural fit there and it gives a much better balance within our team.

Ramires and Mikel looked much more solid as well in front of the defence.

The trio were quiet today. HOWEVER, I firmly believe that their confidence has been dented the past few weeks. As we have struggled, Robbie in turn struggled with getting the right balance within the team and I think it caused our offence to suffer too. Over the next couple of games, if Rafa keeps the defence well drilled and solid, the attack in turn will also grow in confidence at the stability behind them.

Rafa got it spot on today with his tactics. Get the defence right first and the offence will come. I would snap hands off for a couple of 1-0 wins over the next couple of games and start building confidence back up. I'm feeling a little more optimistic about this season then I was a few days ago. The applause in the 16th minute was a nice touch for Robbie, and the 'one Di Matteo' chants are also good for an iconic figure in our club's history, but the jeering and chanting for Benitez was uncalled for IMO, and thereafter the atmosphere was like a fucking morgue today. We've let our feelings be known but frankly Roman won't change his mind so let's just get behind the manager and team from now on!

In regards to Torres - I'm still not convinced we will get anything of note from him in his Chelsea career. I'm hoping we buy in January, although if we have to wait until the summer to bring the right striker or two in then I'm happy to wait - the last thing we want to do in January is panic and buy another Torres!

All in all, a decent point against an extremely well-organised team (very impressed with City today).

I thought City looked terrible today. They missed some absurdly easy passes, fell down a couple of times and looked like they didn't want to be there. They also got ridiculously cute outside our box, trying to play perfect balls in from what were already pretty good positions. Their communication was also quite poor, playing in players who were standing still and passing behind each other. Of course, we were like that too. Maybe it was the heavy rain, but it was one of the worst games between top sides I've ever seen. Almost no pace to the game, really choppy play, and both sides played like they'd be happy with a 0-0 draw.

It's not even the lack of movement, though Torres is generally extremely guilty of that. It's the fact that Mikel lacks the vision to see anything past the the next blue shirt along & Ramires' strength is in his physical assets rather than his passing. What we need is the playmaking partner for Ramires to complement his own abilities, the all-round distributor who can execute those world class passes to perfection & actually provide a long range threat to goal going forward.

& so once again I have to found myself left with the phrase that I have said more times in this single week than any other in my life - 'We need Frank'

I agree and if you read my other posts I'm defending Lamps.

20 goals a season, even if he's half as good, is still 10!!!

That's what we are lacking and some quality through balls...

Ivanovic had more work to do as City were attacking mostly through the centre, along with playing long balls and set-pieces. But everytime they attacked our right side, I thought he did great. In this case I don't think it's fair to point to his newcomer status. I honestly think he was a bit better but Ivan was great too, though the physicality of this game was perfect for him.

David Luiz was good btw, let's see how often that gets mentioned.

Ramires was strong off the ball.

Not really complaining because Azpilicueta did have an excellent game so he's a very deserving candidate, just that people tend to overlook players who have been around. And yes, aside from one bad mistake early, Luiz was very good. I just have no confidence in him being able to avoid mistakes down the road. Agree with you Ramires. Thought he had one of his best games of the year today. Still not right for what we need from the position though.

I thought City looked terrible today. They missed some absurdly easy passes, fell down a couple of times and looked like they didn't want to be there. They also got ridiculously cute outside our box, trying to play perfect balls in from what were already pretty good positions. Their communication was also quite poor, playing in players who were standing still and passing behind each other. Of course, we were like that too. Maybe it was the heavy rain, but it was one of the worst games between top sides I've ever seen. Almost no pace to the game, really choppy play, and both sides played like they'd be happy with a 0-0 draw.

I was very impressed with their movement, especially on the wings, and the way they created space. The strikers were pretty dire today but they isolated a problem with playing too compact and really worked the wings well.

I think some of the credit for them being awful has to go to Benitez. The organisation of the defensive line and the midfield line was a massive improvement over recent weeks. The one word to describe it would be disciplined.

Although I think Ivanovic and Azpi also stabilised the defence too.

Hmm think the conditions played a part, but we closed space down well and made them look ordinary. Apart from the lack of physical stuff from CFC, this reminded me of a more Mourinho esqe performance, except we didnt have Drog or Lamps to nick the win...

City weren't great, because the conditions and our tactics stopped them playing... Defensively they were good though - which is a shame...