Daniel Sturridge

the wes

An "alright player" doesn't score 10 league goals in just 13 games.

An average player scored 14 goals in 13 games last season after joining Newcastle. No im not saying Danny is average, just making a point.

If he carries on this form next season then yes we can say we fucked up but i will save judgement.

So since the start of the season he had played a total of 295 minutes - one third of that amount was in one match against United where he played 120 minutes(where he also scored a goal). No matter what type of dross you type up in the remaining 160 minutes mostly came as cameo's in which you could not expect even Messi to make miracles happen.

You don't believe me here is the proof:

EPL 22-08-2012 Chelsea 4 : 2 Reading 22 6.75

IUSC 31-08-2012 Chelsea 1 : 4 Atletico Madrid 9

EPL 15-09-2012 Queens Park Rangers 0 : 0 Chelsea 9 6.28

EPL 20-10-2012 Tottenham 2 : 4 Chelsea 7 6.84

ICL 23-10-2012 Shakhtar Donetsk 2 : 1 Chelsea 20 6.28

EPL 28-10-2012 Chelsea 2 : 3 Manchester United 8 6

ECC 31-10-2012 Chelsea *5 : 4 Manchester United 90'

EPL 03-11-2012 Swansea 1 : 1 Chelsea 17 5.9

ICL 07-11-2012 Chelsea 3 : 2 Shakhtar Donetsk 0 6.03

EPL 11-11-2012 Chelsea 1 : 1 Liverpool 8 5.92

EPL 17-11-2012 West Bromwich Albion 2 : 1 Chelsea 90 7

In bold are the minutes he played at "40%"

Oscar unlike Sturridge actually is played regularly - you might instead comment on Moses who is treated in a similar way to Sturridge. But even he has many more matches despite competing with far better players like Hazard/Mata/Oscar for a start. Even if Sturridge played at 40% - which I doubt anyone here would agree with - it would still make him 40% better than 0% Floppes.

You're whole comment is laughable

You are constantly saying that Sturridge lacked managerial support and minutes on the pitch. I agree. But have you ever wondered why was that?
Go back in 2011, AVB's time. AVB played Sturridge on the wing, even though Sturridge was a striker. That didn't prevent Sturridge from being one of the best and most exciting players, my personal favourite. Sturridge enjoyed full AVB's backing and support, he was beside Mata the first name on the team sheets when healthy. Why AVB didn't play Sturridge on his favourite position, even though he backed him completely? Why he prefered Drogba above Sturridge on striker position, when Torres was benched? If you watched Chelsea team close like you watch Sturridge, you would know that it wasn't AVB's wish to play Sturridge on the wing, it was the NEED. We didn't have, beside Mata, any player who would provide creative spark in the team on regular bases. We didn't have decent winger. We didn't have Hazard.
AVB needed him more on the wing than up front. So did RDM.
Our team was imbalanced and incomplete. Yet, we had somebody to score in Drogba, Mata, Ramires. But we had nobody to create from the wing, with speed, acceleration, who would took on defenders, pass them with ease and provide passes in the box or final pass to Mata, Ramires, Drogba, make something out of nothing. Only Sturridge. That was reality, and that was his role to play. For this team. But somewhere along the way he stopped, got tired of that position and started to play as a striker. He wasn't winger anymore, he was a striker playing from the wing. So we lost all the benefits he used to provide for us from that position, that Hazard is (only better) providing now. RDM benched him and continued to play Drogba as striker. Mata remained only creative spark most of the time, good oposition knew how to block him, and without Sturridge on the wing our football became lame and painfull to watch in the League.
Sturridge had the "misfortune" of being the most talented and skillful player and the best match for the position this team ( our coaches) needed him to play during his first year here as a starter. He had that position on the wing wrapped and it was his to lose. He was head and shouldres above competition. If he continued to play the same way he played under AVB during all season, he would have been a starter and you wouldn't have to count his minutes.
You see how uncertain we feel without Hazard tonight ? We felt similarly without Sturridge on the wing last season, but you wont admit that.
Of course, Sturridge could create from striker's position, but our team would remain pretty imbalanced. With our slow, and I mean slow build up play, he would constantly be miles in front the rest of the team and would operate almost alone. Our build up was slow. (unlike Liverpool's).
About this season, it was clear that Torres will have advantage. But he didn't sign lifelong contract of being our main striker. We had Hazard, we didn't need Sturridge exclusive on the wing anymore. He had space to fight for striker position.
At the end, Sturridge's decision and right to get what he wanted (striker position) , to get it fast, without additional adjustment to team needs and sacrificing was almost equally responsible as lack of this club's and managerial support ( for playing him on the wing) he experienced. He created his on fate here.
Moses is a squad player at best.

Our team was imbalanced and incomplete. Yet, we had somebody to score in Drogba, Mata, Ramires. But we had nobody to create from the wing, with speed, acceleration, who would took on defenders, pass them with ease and provide passes in the box or final pass to Mata, Ramires, Drogba, make something out of nothing. Only Sturridge. That was reality, and that was his role to play. For this team. But somewhere along the way he stopped, got tired of that position and started to play as a striker. He wasn't winger anymore, he was a striker playing from the wing. So we lost all the benefits he used to provide for us from that position, that Hazard is (only better) providing now. RDM benched him and continued to play Drogba as striker. Mata remained only creative spark most of the time, good oposition knew how to block him, and without Sturridge on the wing our football became lame and painfull to watch in the League.

Moses is a squad player at best.

He didn't get tired of the position...he just realised that shouldn't have to play as a RW...when someone as useless as Torres was getting so many chances as the main striker.

Also, under RDM his 'role' seemed to change....it was like he was asked to take on defensive duties. And when you tell an unhappy player who isn't playing regularly to be defensive, play for the team....he becomes frustrated & ineffective.

Now at Liverpool, Rodgers put faith into him from day one, gave him a bit of freedom...he's happy, he's effective & he's playing for the team.

• 3 months later...

*hypothetically* Lukaku, Sturridge & Rooney strikeforce would be insane especially given the fact that they can actually all play with each other when we really need goals late in the game (Sturridge on the right as an inside forward, Lukaku up top, and Rooney as a second striker?).

Mourinho would've loved that. Unfortunately we aren't in that situation because of a certain ladyboy though.

lukaku, sturridge and rooney with rest of the squad can actually make us a pretty decent bet for even CL. the versatility in this attack-force is just amazing.

He scored so lets bump this thread... someone please delete it, he's gone, deal with it.

The Drogba thread gets bumped whenever he scores too, should we delete that as well? There's an ex player thread to discuss an ex-player.

This is ridiculous, no one is asking you to come here and read the thread. You can simply ignore it. Bloody hell.

The Drogba thread gets bumped whenever he scores too, should we delete that as well? There's an ex player thread to discuss an ex-player.

This is ridiculous, no one is asking you to come here and read the thread. You can simply ignore it. Bloody hell.

Except when Drogba's thread gets updated the discussion surrounds the current event whereas with this thread it always goes back to the same old shit that's already discussed 10 times. Has anyone actually discussed the goal he scored?

But the difference is you don't get people whining every second about how we shouldn't of sold him...

I know i don't have to come here, and i wont in the future. :tiphat:

But the difference is you don't get people whining every second about how we shouldn't of sold him...

I know i don't have to come here, and i wont in the future. :tiphat:

Was anyone WHINING about how we sold him just now? All people were discussing is that he scored a goal and how Jose would've loved working with him.

That's barely whining. Like I said, if you hate reading anything positive about Sturridge just avoid this thread whenever he does score.