Daniel Sturridge

the wes

Torres took 18 games to get 10 league goals at Pool. Danny's smashed that record. I never expected Danny to take over straight away from Nico or Didier but what we did with Danny when both were gone, our insistence in playing Torres, was criminal, especially when you have a talent like Danny in the wings. Do you blame him for getting frustrated when Torres was floundering right in front of his eyes and he knew he had the ability to do better? I don't. Don't know why you're comparing Sturridge to the likes of Falcao, Cavani or Lewandowski when he obviously didn't/wouldn't cost us anywhere near as much as those guys would.

Sturridge could've been as good as Nico for us definitely, I believe - I always saw him as his heir. Could've easily scored 25+ goals had we started/played him in as many games as Torres did this season. Whether he'll get to that Drogba level as a striker will remain to be seen but he's doing very well right now so he's got a decent shout to do that.

Sturridge has a better goals to minute ratio than Lukaku at arguably a better team. He's nearly bagged as many goal as Romelu in a shorter time despite having someone like Suarez in front of him which really makes you think that if Sturridge was given the opportunity here he would've probably gazumped Torres as our starting striker. Yeah we may get Falcao/Cavani/Lewandowski or whoever but I would bet against them making look Sturridge as an "average" player. An average player does not score 10 goals in 13 games, or 11 goals in 15 in all competitions.

Agree with your post.

Sturridge just wasn't appreciated at Chelsea. If we gave him half the opportunities Torres got....i'm sure he'd be able to beat Torres' goal tally at Chelsea

I'm glad that Sturridge has found a club that will utilise his ability properly. Kinda pissed that Liverpool only paid 12 million for him

I always liked him here. His pace, swagger and the fact that he probably is the only jamaican who cannot dance. but his selfishness and bad decision-making made his stance here really difficult. Also he could waste the best chances when he was not on form.

but he just is so fuckin pacy and skilfull, he can create chances out of nothing.

Yesterday's game just showed what we are missing, neither Ba nor Torres can do anything like that. At his first goal he was alone against 3 defenders and his finish with his weaker right foot was sublime. His third goal was also excellent, right-footed, too. He is just like a raw Cristiano Ronaldo, albeit not that talented with similar physical attributes.

He never worked under RDM, but one could see already then, that he should have been made 1st choice central striker for us during Torres drought.

He is the best young English striker and will be no. 1 forward for the NT sooner rather than later, even though this probably rather an indication of how weak the country is in that department rather than one of Studge's quality.

Nonetheless he is destined for the very top and will make it. Our board and probably also RDM should have got that.

Please don't tell me everytime he scores there are going to be complains how we shouldn't have sold him and how good he is. It just wasn't going to work out with him and Chelsea.

There is an ex player thread for a reason. It is annoying that when people pay compliments to him there are people who keep saying the same thing as you about being moaning. The thread is here for a reason and if people have a problem let it be as this is a Sturridge thread. Same way Mikel gets slaughtered on his thread if he has a bad game, why not talk about Sturridge when he plays well?

Is that the best you can come up with?

Sturridge is a player I've liked for a long time, was delighted when he signed for us. Don't see anything wrong with me checking up on his progress - or am I not allowed to do that because he's an ex-player?

It's the constant bitching and moaning, and living in the past that I just find perplexing - fitting considering the club he's joined

You take the view that we made a mistake selling him yet you keep reliving it. You keep bringing it up and the same people make the same stupid, myopic points about the Torres transfer. We got into a situation that unfortunately meant we probably had to sell Sturridge from an economic point of view.

But he's a Liverpool player so Fuck Him He's Dead (FHHD).

forget him dude... its the same thing with him over and over again. if danny scores, he is probably the first one on this thread and just waiting/daring for any1 to post anything.

and if by any chance, some poor sap does say "danny played well, i think we made a mistake selling him", then he gets his big guns out " how long are we going to moan for him" " we got 12 mil, the club did awesome business" bla bla blah... he is also the guy who called rambo "an idiot" and who is probably the happiest person in the world whenever lamps has a bad game .

my advice - let him be.

Hey chum, I understand we've had our little disagreements in the past but there's no reason for you to be like that. Let bygones be bygones and I'll buy you a drink the next time you come to the Bridge....you just tell me where and when, okay. :yes::whisky:

Hey chum, I understand we've had our little disagreements in the past but there's no reason for you to be like that. Let bygones be bygones and I'll buy you a drink the next time you come to the Bridge....you just tell me where and when, okay. :yes::whisky:

i m trying to find institutes for mbas in and around london... i will be there for the next season or defo for the next to next one. i ll take u up for your word... :)

The real question about Sturridge is how come he plays three times better in LIverpool that he played here. Yes, awful position. He played in same awful position at Liverpool, and still managed to score and assist. He played in the same awful position here, and still managed to score and assist. And than he stoped, got frustrated because there was no way for him to fight for and win striker position with all mighty Torres there. Maybe he confused him for Cavani, who knows.
I wrote a post here long ago where I compared him with Thiery Henry and RVP from Arsenal ( can't find it). I wouldn't ever do that if I hadn't believed how good Sturridge was. And that is why I was frustrated with him - he didn't play his best football here claiming he was not happy with position. Nevermind that playing on the wing makes young skilful striker better all around player and improves his movement around the box. After all, both RVP and Henry started that way and it didn't harm him, because they had skill. Like Sturridge.
He is good at Liverpool, as I assumed he would be. Liverpoll style of play can make any decent striker into a profilic goal scorer nevermind someone skilful like Sturridge. LIverpool is,( with Man Utd), by far the best place for strikers. Like Owen, Fowler and even Torres know .

They play fast, with long and trough balls, they move ball quickly which leaves much time for the front three to act and make something before opposite defenders manage to block them properly.

All they needed after Alonso departure was a midfilder able to provide these balls on regular bases, and they got him in Coutinho. With his services and LIverpool style of play, Sturridge and Suares will work great. It's no - branier.
On the other hand in Chelsea - our style is slower. We usualy play from defender to DM/CM than to attacking mid in Hazard to Mata and than to a striker- Ba. Our circulation of ball is slower and before top three get it, opposite defenders manage to position themselves pretty good, which leaves top three with less space for maneuver. Whether you liked it or not, Sturridge has more space in Liverpool than any our future striker will have here.
Last but not the least, it's not just board, Sturridge didn't feel like fight for his striker position even though, with only Torres as his competition, he only needed time this season. And yes, Liverpool style of play suits him much more than ours.
Yes, there is ex players thread for a reason, but if we continue discuss about Sturridge after every goal he scores, this thread will become more active than any thread about our current players soon enough.

There is an ex player thread for a reason. It is annoying that when people pay compliments to him there are people who keep saying the same thing as you about being moaning. The thread is here for a reason and if people have a problem let it be as this is a Sturridge thread. Same way Mikel gets slaughtered on his thread if he has a bad game, why not talk about Sturridge when he plays well?

Yes, the thread is here for a reason and everybody has the right to voice his opinion, that's a given. I got a bit annoyed as it seems as there are some people, who I guess have some extra Sturridge love and everytime he does well they are trying to stick it to the other Chelsea fans and in particular to those who never liked Danny and in the same time when he plays like his usual uneffectual selfish self they stay quiet. It's not that I think Sturridge is not talented I just think there was no way for him to get accommodated to our attacking regime and especially with more top european strikers appearing to come our way. So in the end of the day it doesn't matter (to me at least) how many goals he has scored for Liverpool and how many good games he's had with them.

The real question about Sturridge is how come he plays three times better in LIverpool that he played here. Yes, awful position. He played in same awful position at Liverpool, and still managed to score and assist. He played in the same awful position here, and still managed to score and assist. And than he stoped, got frustrated because there was no way for him to fight for and win striker position with all mighty Torres there. Maybe he confused him for Cavani, who knows.
I wrote a post here long ago where I compared him with Thiery Henry and RVP from Arsenal ( can't find it). I wouldn't ever do that if I hadn't believed how good Sturridge was. And that is why I was frustrated with him - he didn't play his best football here claiming he was not happy with position. Nevermind that playing on the wing makes young skilful striker better all around player and improves his movement around the box. After all, both RVP and Henry started that way and it didn't harm him, because they had skill. Like Sturridge.
He is good at Liverpool, as I assumed he would be. Liverpoll style of play can make any decent striker into a profilic goal scorer nevermind someone skilful like Sturridge. LIverpool is,( with Man Utd), by far the best place for strikers. Like Owen, Fowler and even Torres know .

They play fast, with long and trough balls, they move ball quickly which leaves much time for the front three to act and make something before opposite defenders manage to block them properly.

All they needed after Alonso departure was a midfilder able to provide these balls on regular bases, and they got him in Coutinho. With his services and LIverpool style of play, Sturridge and Suares will work great. It's no - branier.
On the other hand in Chelsea - our style is slower. We usualy play from defender to DM/CM than to attacking mid in Hazard to Mata and than to a striker- Ba. Our circulation of ball is slower and before top three get it, opposite defenders manage to position themselves pretty good, which leaves top three with less space for maneuver. Whether you liked it or not, Sturridge has more space in Liverpool than any our future striker will have here.
Last but not the least, it's not just board, Sturridge didn't feel like fight for his striker position even though, with only Torres as his competition, he only needed time this season. And yes, Liverpool style of play suits him much more than ours.
Yes, there is ex players thread for a reason, but if we continue discuss about Sturridge after every goal he scores, this thread will become more active than any thread about our current players soon enough.

if this is true there is even more reason to comment about him... because it just means he would be scoring more than any other player we have...

The reaction in this thread will simmer down once Lukaku get's a legit chance. The constant complaints every time he scores a goal is justified imo since Danny had to make way for an incompetent striker in Torres. Sturridge is better in every aspect of the game compared to Fernando and it's frustrating as hell knowing that Liverpool paid 12m for Danny who will only improve over time.

Until we actually have a striker who is banging goals in at a similar rate(under 130 minutes per goal) this thread will get bumped. It's fairly natural for me and others to be livid with our board - for crippling our club for the season by basically giving Floppes free reign while marginalizing better players like Sturridge and Lukaku. Sturridge was fit for 14 matches before our Juve clash, yet he only started one match instead of Floppes, who banned due to his red card against United. I don't think it's RdM's call to start Floppes so much and to have ONLY two strikers in the squad while our rivals had at least 3 players who were better than Floppes for their forward position.

if this is true there is even more reason to comment about him... because it just means he would be scoring more than any other player we have...

Yes, he will, but in Liverpool fc. There is no guarantee he would do the same here. Liverpool style of play suits him much more than ours, and is and was much more different than ours.

He is not that suitable for link up plays we are trying to achieve and brought Mazascar for. He needs lots of space, he didn't have it at Chelsea.

He is much better in concentrating on goal only, rather than play in general. Our future striker will not have that luxury, that's why most of us want Cavany type rather than Falcao type.

Given that striker who scores every game, doesn't even have to pass,

selling him was a mistake, but the mistake he himself made us to make by refusing to play good on wing temporary and slowly fight for striker position with Torres. Had he persisted, he would have won that position by January.

He is much better in concentrating on goal only, rather than play in general. Our future striker will not have that luxury, that's why most of us want Cavany type rather than Falcao type.

At least watch some of his matches before making these type of comments, he provides far more to Liverpool than just goals. As was the case while he was here, he beats defenders, his passing is actually very good(averaging 2 key passes per match at Pool), he holds the ball up quite well and brings others into play and his movement and anticipation is actually what you'd expect for a striker. There is a reason why he is able to position himself well for tap ins and easy goals his movement is miles better than Poorres for example, who has no clue what he is doing when he enters the box and usually runs away from the goal rather than trying to get into position for an easy chance.

At least watch some of his matches before making these type of comments, he provides far more to Liverpool than just goals. As was the case while he was here, he beats defenders, his passing is actually very good(averaging 2 key passes per match at Pool), he holds the ball up quite well and brings others into play and his movement and anticipation is actually what you'd expect for a striker. There is a reason why he is able to position himself well for tap ins and easy goals his movement is miles better than Poorres for example, who has no clue what he is doing when he enters the box and usually runs away from the goal rather than trying to get into position for an easy chance.

Then answer me, if he was such great why RDM relegated him to the bench after Leicester game in FA cup and didn't even give him oportunity to start in CL just like he didn't give oportunity to Torres. Yes I know he plays great for Liverpool, but I'm talking about Sturridge I watched at Chelsea. There were some great driblings, beating defenders, passes but also lots shoots from imposible angles, not seeing Mata and Ramirez when needed to pass, lots goal attempts instead of simple passes that left lots of fans even RDM and some players frustrated with his play. If you need reminisence, just read trough matches he played for us.

Sturridge in Liverpool is different from Sturridge in Chelsea, otherways he would have never been sold. That is the point, Liverpool suits him more than we did. Deal with it.