Daniel Sturridge

the wes

He is an alright player. I never said he wasn't. Its just we haven't really made a mistake as big as everyones made out as we've invested in a player with much more potential (Lukaku) and I have a feeling that Islam Feruz given a chance here will also be better than Studge. Yes we have also kept Torres which is bad but still, Torres won't be going anywhere any time soon, you don't buy a 50 million player to get rid of him 2 and a half - 3 years later.

And Lukaku being the best player in the world, hopefully haha ;) I have been watching Lukaku for a couple of years and I hope he goes very very very far as hes incredibly talented.

Islam Feruz is going to be better than Sturridge? Wtf? Sturridge was far more prolific than Feruz was at his age, Feruz is being so overrated by many here. He's nowhere near ready. I don't know why you're justifying Sturridge sale because we've got Lukaku. Doesn't make any sense to me. Justifying that it's okay because RDM didn't play Sturridge (even though he was injured on numerous occasions so wasn't even available) is absurd.

An "alright player" doesn't score 10 league goals in just 13 games. I'm very sure you were amongst those that were saying he wasn't good enough & doesn't deserve a chance etc. You can carry on hating if you want but the boy will keep on proving you and others wrong, which is exactly what he's doing now. The only argument people can come up with is that "we've got Lukaku so it doesn't really matter" is a weak argument in my opinion, because fact is we made a mistake and let a good player with a bright future go.

I never meant given a chance this year. In a couple of years he will be much better than Danny.

You're overrating Feruz too much, putting too much expectation on his shoulders. If Feruz turns out to be as good as Danny then I'll be happy - you can't say he'll be much better than Danny - that's like saying Feruz will be one of the best strikers in the league/world which is very far fetched. I don't even know why you're bringing Feruz into this to begin with - he's miles off the first team.

I never meant given a chance this year. In a couple of years he will be much better than Danny. Hes another tipped for big big things. Sure hes got to work hard as talent never gets you anywhere but if he does he will be a cracking striker.

Feruz is very small but hes very powerful btw so to say he would struggle physically is a bullshit statement. I actually reckon next season he might get a loan. Hes been very good for the U21s and NextGen team this year.

Oh I thought you meant right now. But that is my point Sturridge still has potential and is going to get better. 2 years Feruz will be 19, I think he will be a good striker but do I think he will be in the first team I am not sure. How you think he will be better than Sturridge then is an unfounded conclusion because Sturridge is playing well and scoring for fun right now. If you think Feruz will be better than him in 2 years, he has to have got into the first team and be scoring on a regular basis in the Premiership which I do not think he is ready for and will be.

Lukaku and Sturridge together next season would have been one of the best forward lines in Europe - just because we got Lukaku doesn't mean that we should not have had Sturridge. The pisstake is that we didn't get rid of Sturridge due to Lukaku - the only reason he isn't here, is a blonde who has failed to score in the Premier League since December.

If we had Lukaku around and played him ahead of Torres - I would understand letting go of Sturridge. That was not the case - we just had Torres and Ba, Ba can't even play in the Europa League. Yet some are happy with this crippling scenario even though Torres had already cost us chances in the CWC.

As expected Sturridge is scoring regularly when given a chance up top - a chance he deserved here, a chance that didn't materialize. Just because he is playing for Looserpool doesn't suddenly make me dislike him - because he did all he could to become a First Team player here. Went on loan to prove himself; played out of position didn't moan when he wasn't playing; never said a bad world after leaving even though it would have been perfectly understandable after the frustration of watching Torres starting ahead of him; didn't even celebrate against us. All the bullsh*t about him not being tested up top; selfish; bad attitude is exactly that - BULLSH*T

because fact is we made a mistake and let a good player with a bright future go.

And?

Where does the argument go from here, or do you just repeat it over and over again?

How long for? To what end?

Is this going to happen every time he scores?

I said it a few weeks back, but it comes down to mentality. Yes, we sold him. Yes, it may have been a mistake.

Move on. The club will. The supporters will. Danny will.

Lukaku and Sturridge both had strong games a few weeks back. Some fans chose to celebrate Lukaku's performance, other's chose to bemoan the fact that we sold Sturridge.

And?

Where does the argument go from here, or do you just repeat it over and over again?

I will repeat the argument for as long as people come on here and say "It's okay, we got decent value for Sturridge" (which is absolute bullshit as he's showing right now) or "It's okay, doesn't matter, we have Lukaku (which again is bullshit - the more good players we have the better, that's obvious).

How long for? To what end?

Is this going to happen every time he scores?

Yes, that's why there's a thread for him. It's up to you to stay away or not, but it's inevitable simply because he was written off by so many on here as not good enough. What do you expect mate? Kalou's thread gets bumped when he scores - Drogba's thread gets bumped... It's what happens. The fact that we have more exposure to Sturridge will make this thread more frequent.

I said it a few weeks back, but it comes down to mentality. Yes, we sold him. Yes, it may have been a mistake.

Move on. The club will. The supporters will. Danny will.

I've already moved on, still doesn't change that it was a mistake.

Lukaku and Sturridge both had strong games a few weeks back. Some fans chose to celebrate Lukaku's performance, other's chose to bemoan the fact that we sold Sturridge.

I did both.

I will repeat the argument for as long as people come on here and say "It's okay, we got decent value for Sturridge" (which is absolute bullshit as he's showing right now) or "It's okay, doesn't matter, we have Lukaku (which again is bullshit - the more good players we have the better, that's obvious).

Yes, that's why there's a thread for him. It's up to you to stay away or not, but it's inevitable simply because he was written off by so many on here as not good enough. What do you expect mate? Kalou's thread gets bumped when he scores - Drogba's thread gets bumped... It's what happens. The fact that we have more exposure to Sturridge will make this thread more frequent.

I've already moved on, still doesn't change that it was a mistake.

I did both.

Wow...that's some commitment.

BRB - just checking my ex-girlfriend's facebook page.

Wow...that's some commitment.

BRB - just checking my ex-girlfriend's facebook page.

Is that the best you can come up with?

Sturridge is a player I've liked for a long time, was delighted when he signed for us. Don't see anything wrong with me checking up on his progress - or am I not allowed to do that because he's an ex-player?

Islam Feruz is going to be better than Sturridge? Wtf? Sturridge was far more prolific than Feruz was at his age, Feruz is being so overrated by many here. He's nowhere near ready. I don't know why you're justifying Sturridge sale because we've got Lukaku. Doesn't make any sense to me. Justifying that it's okay because RDM didn't play Sturridge (even though he was injured on numerous occasions so wasn't even available) is absurd.

An "alright player" doesn't score 10 league goals in just 13 games. I'm very sure you were amongst those that were saying he wasn't good enough & doesn't deserve a chance etc. You can carry on hating if you want but the boy will keep on proving you and others wrong, which is exactly what he's doing now. The only argument people can come up with is that "we've got Lukaku so it doesn't really matter" is a weak argument in my opinion, because fact is we made a mistake and let a good player with a bright future go.

The same with Jack Cork, Scott Sinclair, James Younghusband etc? We've done that countless times with younger players and nothings came of it.

Ok Sturridge and Sinclair have scored against us but does that mean anything? Sturridge did well for a period under AVB but struggled under Robbie. Top players have to adapt to different philosophies and formations and while Danny did well on the wing under AVB but he hardly set the world alight when we played on the counter in a much more rigid system under Robbie.

I actually thought he would have excelled more in a counter attacking system due to his pace as well but the games he got he struggled. The fact players like Kalou and Bertrand played more under Robbie on the wing in the games too (also the CL final and FA cup final) proved something. He was hardly that special. Sure he didn't get games in his favored position but I can't believe I'm saying this, Torres started scoring goals and playing better for some reason and Drogba, well hes Drogba and if you play him in the big games he delivers. Would you of preferred Robbie risked playing an unproven player as CF in the CL or Torres (despite how bad he has been for Chelsea)/Drogba, who both have plenty of experience as a CF?

The one thing I've learned with younger players we've let go is that you cannot say they would have been good for us because the only way from Chelsea is down really, Sinclair, Cork and multiple others are all at lesser clubs in comparison to Chelsea.

Nemanja Matic in my opinion is the only exception. He has been brilliant for Benfica and is rightfully linked with a move to maybe the only bigger club in England (theoretically) than ourselves, Manchester United. Not that Benfica are a bigger club than us but hes justified his reason to leave Chelsea although it might have been forced on him more than anything. Hes made leaps of progress and could play for many top teams.

The same with Jack Cork, Scott Sinclair, James Younghusband etc? We've done that countless times with younger players and nothings came of it.

Come on Ryan, I know you don't like Daniel but to compare him to those players is tragic. Sturridge is obviously far more talented than all of those mentioned, those you mentioned didn't even break through to the first team squad here at CFC like Sturridge did.

Ok Sturridge and Sinclair have scored against us but does that mean anything? Sturridge did well for a period under AVB but struggled under Robbie. Top players have to adapt to different philosophies and formations and while Danny did well on the wing under AVB but he hardly set the world alight when we played on the counter in a much more rigid system under Robbie.

Sturridge was class under AVB for that half season, easily one of our top 3 players, even though he was playing out of position. He performed well against the likes of City and United that season. People seem to forget that. To say that RDM was justified in not playing him is naive IMO - Sturridge isn't a winger to begin with - you can't expect a guy who's played upfront for most of his career to be effective out wide in a rigid counter attacking system. Obviously Sturridge has more talent than Kalou for example who got picked over him in that position - that wasn't due to Sturridge not being a good player but more due to the fact that you can't have a striker playing on the wing in a defensive formation that heavily expects its wingers to contribute in defence. You can't expect that from Sturridge, or any striker, let's be honest.

He's playing under a different system at Liverpool now and he's still producing. He played under a different system here (out wide as an inside forward) and he still produced. He played under a different system at Bolton and he still produced. Hall mark of a good player if you ask me.

I actually thought he would have excelled more in a counter attacking system due to his pace as well but the games he got he struggled. The fact players like Kalou and Bertrand played more under Robbie on the wing in the games too (also the CL final and FA cup final) proved something. He was hardly that special. Sure he didn't get games in his favored position but I can't believe I'm saying this, Torres started scoring goals and playing better for some reason and Drogba, well hes Drogba and if you play him in the big games he delivers. Would you of preferred Robbie risked playing an unproven player as CF in the CL or Torres (despite how bad he has been for Chelsea)/Drogba, who both have plenty of experience as a CF?

Of course not. I'm not even debating Sturridge's contribution here at the back end of last season - it's pretty clear why the likes of Bertrand and Kalou got chosen over him - not sure why you've even mentioned that. I'm bemoaning about what Sturridge could've given us up front instead of Torres this season.

The one thing I've learned with younger players we've let go is that you cannot say they would have been good for us because the only way from Chelsea is down really, Sinclair, Cork and multiple others are all at lesser clubs in comparison to Chelsea.

Nemanja Matic in my opinion is the only exception. He has been brilliant for Benfica and is rightfully linked with a move to maybe the only bigger club in England (theoretically) than ourselves, Manchester United. Not that Benfica are a bigger club than us but hes justified his reason to leave Chelsea although it might have been forced on him more than anything. Hes made leaps of progress and could play for many top teams.

Liverpool are definitely not at the same level as Chelsea but to compare them with Southampton and Swansea is ludicrous. Cork and Sinclair both dropped down a league to get regular games. Sturridge didn't. That should speak volumes to you. If anything, you should be putting Sturridge in the same boat as Matic - squad wise this season, I'd certainly put Liverpool and Benfica at around the same mark. Sturridge is now proving, just like Matic, that when given a chance he'll produce.

With Suarez now out Sturridge has been given a massive opportunity in the last few games and the first few at the start of next season and it fully looks like he's taking it with both hands. I read somewhere that he's currently the fastest player in Liverpool history to get 10 league goals. If that doesn't say anything to you then well, your hate for Sturridge is clearly blind.

He definitely has the potential to be amongst one of the best strikers in the league next season if he keeps it up, he's shown that in his short stint whilst at Liverpool. I'll even go as far to admit that the Coutinho - Sturridge - Suarez trio Liverpool have going for them has the potential to be one of the most exciting in the league next season.

Is that the best you can come up with?

Sturridge is a player I've liked for a long time, was delighted when he signed for us. Don't see anything wrong with me checking up on his progress - or am I not allowed to do that because he's an ex-player?

forget him dude... its the same thing with him over and over again. if danny scores, he is probably the first one on this thread and just waiting/daring for any1 to post anything.

and if by any chance, some poor sap does say "danny played well, i think we made a mistake selling him", then he gets his big guns out " how long are we going to moan for him" " we got 12 mil, the club did awesome business" bla bla blah... he is also the guy who called rambo "an idiot" and who is probably the happiest person in the world whenever lamps has a bad game .

my advice - let him be.

Come on Ryan, I know you don't like Daniel but to compare him to those players is tragic. Sturridge is obviously far more talented than all of those mentioned, those you mentioned didn't even break through to the first team squad here at CFC like Sturridge did.

Sturridge was class under AVB for that half season, easily one of our top 3 players, even though he was playing out of position. He performed well against the likes of City and United that season. People seem to forget that. To say that RDM was justified in not playing him is naive IMO - Sturridge isn't a winger to begin with - you can't expect a guy who's played upfront for most of his career to be effective out wide in a rigid counter attacking system. Obviously Sturridge has more talent than Kalou for example who got picked over him in that position - that wasn't due to Sturridge not being a good player but more due to the fact that you can't have a striker playing on the wing in a defensive formation that heavily expects its wingers to contribute in defence. You can't expect that from Sturridge, or any striker, let's be honest.

He's playing under a different system at Liverpool now and he's still producing. He played under a different system here (out wide as an inside forward) and he still produced. He played under a different system at Bolton and he still produced. Hall mark of a good player if you ask me.

Of course not. I'm not even debating Sturridge's contribution here at the back end of last season - it's pretty clear why the likes of Bertrand and Kalou got chosen over him - not sure why you've even mentioned that. I'm bemoaning about what Sturridge could've given us up front instead of Torres this season.

Liverpool are definitely not at the same level as Chelsea but to compare them with Southampton and Swansea is ludicrous. Cork and Sinclair both dropped down a league to get regular games. Sturridge didn't. That should speak volumes to you. If anything, you should be putting Sturridge in the same boat as Matic - squad wise this season, I'd certainly put Liverpool and Benfica at around the same mark. Sturridge is now proving, just like Matic, that when given a chance he'll produce.

With Suarez now out Sturridge has been given a massive opportunity in the last few games and the first few at the start of next season and it fully looks like he's taking it with both hands. I read somewhere that he's currently the fastest player in Liverpool history to get 10 league goals. If that doesn't say anything to you then well, your hate for Sturridge is clearly blind.

He definitely has the potential to be amongst one of the best strikers in the league next season if he keeps it up, he's shown that in his short stint whilst at Liverpool. I'll even go as far to admit that the Coutinho - Sturridge - Suarez trio Liverpool have going for them has the potential to be one of the most exciting in the league next season.

Its not that I don't like Danny. Sure Danny is more talented than Cork and Sinclair too but I didn't mean to compare them in terms of ability. I meant that they are at lesser clubs now.

Sturridge has impressed at the start of his Liverpool career but hes still got a long way to go and he has massive boots to fill, he may be the quickest player to scored 10 goals for Liverpool but a certain Spaniard scored 30 odd goals in his first season for them and look where he is now.

As long as Torres was here Sturridge would always be second choice, he couldn't accept that. It was obvious he wanted to play through the middle, in an interview today he mentioned playing as a lone striker. He harped on a few times when he was here about it too but in all the years he was here he was hardly going to displace a striker of Didier/Nico/Sheva/Torres' exprience, ability and reputation was he?

His performances under AVB were great and I expected him to continue under Villas-Boas until he got sacked. Sturridge had the talent to go far, even when AVB was sacked I still expected him to play more but then he became increasing frustrating in games due to greediness and inconsistency. Yes he could have given us more than Torres this year but so could Falcao/Cavani/Lewandowski and even Lukaku I reckon.

When we get a player upfront as good as Dider and Nico were then we will see how average Danny is in comparison.

..... just realized I put Sheva in there, don't think Studge was at the club when he was here tbh so yeah fuck it.

Its not that I don't like Danny. Sure Danny is more talented than Cork and Sinclair too but I didn't mean to compare them in terms of ability. I meant that they are at lesser clubs now.

Sturridge has impressed at the start of his Liverpool career but hes still got a long way to go and he has massive boots to fill, he may be the quickest player to scored 10 goals for Liverpool but a certain Spaniard scored 30 odd goals in his first season for them and look where he is now.

As long as Torres was here Sturridge would always be second choice, he couldn't accept that. It was obvious he wanted to play through the middle, in an interview today he mentioned playing as a lone striker. He harped on a few times when he was here about it too but in all the years he was here he was hardly going to displace a striker of Didier/Nico/Sheva/Torres' exprience, ability and reputation was he?

His performances under AVB were great and I expected him to continue under Villas-Boas until he got sacked. Sturridge had the talent to go far, even when AVB was sacked I still expected him to play more but then he became increasing frustrating in games due to greediness and inconsistency. Yes he could have given us more than Torres this year but so could Falcao/Cavani/Lewandowski and even Lukaku I reckon.

When we get a player upfront as good as Dider and Nico were then we will see how average Danny is in comparison.

..... just realized I put Sheva in there, don't think Studge was at the club when he was here tbh so yeah fuck it.

Torres took 18 games to get 10 league goals at Pool. Danny's smashed that record. I never expected Danny to take over straight away from Nico or Didier but what we did with Danny when both were gone, our insistence in playing Torres, was criminal, especially when you have a talent like Danny in the wings. Do you blame him for getting frustrated when Torres was floundering right in front of his eyes and he knew he had the ability to do better? I don't. Don't know why you're comparing Sturridge to the likes of Falcao, Cavani or Lewandowski when he obviously didn't/wouldn't cost us anywhere near as much as those guys would.

Sturridge could've been as good as Nico for us definitely, I believe - I always saw him as his heir. Could've easily scored 25+ goals had we started/played him in as many games as Torres did this season. Whether he'll get to that Drogba level as a striker will remain to be seen but he's doing very well right now so he's got a decent shout to do that.

Sturridge has a better goals to minute ratio than Lukaku at arguably a better team. He's nearly bagged as many goal as Romelu in a shorter time despite having someone like Suarez in front of him which really makes you think that if Sturridge was given the opportunity here he would've probably gazumped Torres as our starting striker. Yeah we may get Falcao/Cavani/Lewandowski or whoever but I would bet against them making look Sturridge as an "average" player. An average player does not score 10 goals in 13 games, or 11 goals in 15 in all competitions.