Hulk

thejolta

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No planes from Portugal have landed at Heathrow so far today, one is about 7 minutes from landing. He could not possibly be in Heathrow already. Shot down.

LMAO CAP! Did you actually check that?! :lol:

Chelsea Transfers: Scouting Report for Hulk

114342892_crop_650x440.jpg?1336496872

FC Porto's star striker "Hulk" has long been linked with a move to one of Europe's elite clubs.

The Andre Villas-Boas connection had the papers going crazy during the summer, making the logical connection between the new Blues boss and his former player.

The rumours have resurfaced, however, with The Daily Mail running an exclusive that Hulk's asking price has been slashed to £35 million.

Here's a scouting report on Hulk, detailing everything you need to know about the wide forward.

Information

139453124_display_image.jpg?1336496252

Name: Givanildo Vieira de Souza

Position: Striker, wide forward, winger

Club History: Vitoria (2004-2005), Kawasaki Frontale (2006-2008), Tokyo Verdy (2008), Porto (2009-Present)

Hulk—an absolutely unforgettable nickname—was awarded to this man due to his sheer bulk and size.

He's had a productive few years in Portugal after being plucked from the depths of Japan.

He's scored a healthy return of goals throughout his career and is reportedly looking to make the next step.

Achievements

114360358_display_image.jpg?1336499407

Winner's Medals

UEFA Europa League 2011 (FC Porto)

Primeira Liga 2009, 2011, 2012

Taca de Portugal 2009, 2010, 2011

Supertaca Candido de Oliveira 2009, 2010, 2011

Primeira Liga Top Scorer 2011

Runner-up Medals

UEFA Super Cup 2011 (FC Porto)

Strengths

139510233_display_image.jpg?1336501762

Shooting

Hulk is known for the cannon attached to his left foot. Goals win games and Hulk is an asset for any team due to his ability to get the ball into the back of the net—he's hit 21 goals in total this season from a variety of positions.

He's also maintained a goal to game ratio better than 2:1 at FC Porto—a brilliant achievement in any of the top five European domestic league competitions.

Set Pieces

Mastering set pieces is a valuable skill to have. It can help turn a drab 0-0 into a victory or grab a crucial equaliser out of nothing.

Hulk has a reputation for scoring screamers, but also buries a nice penalty and delivers a sweet corner.

With good peripherals, a team can really benefit from Hulk's wand of a left foot.

Versatility

Hulk started as a central striker but, at FC Porto under Andre Villas-Boas, he was converted to a wide forward or "inverted winger," able to play in the wide left or wide right position.

He is a force through the middle thanks to his size, strength and touch. He's also a threat down the flanks due to his close control, technique and pace.

Athleticism

He's got it all. He's a thoroughly well-rounded athlete.

Despite the fact he's only 5' 10", it's impossible to bully Hulk off the ball. He's got the muscular build to mix it in the roughest of leagues.

He's also quick on the turn, has great burst and decent top-end speed.

As a defender, you don't know whether to stand-off or get in close. He might turn you but he might pick a sweet pass.

Weaknesses

114342440_display_image.jpg?1336664036

Selfishness

For all his fantastic work on the ball, Hulk does display a selfish streak which could lead to him being labelled as wasteful in the future.

He can be frustrating to play with and frustrating to manage.

Defensive Contribution

For all his attacking brilliance, Hulk does not put in a defensive shift.

It's rare to see him tracking back after losing the ball or to help his team during a particularly tough period in a game.

Comparing Across Chelsea's Forward Line

112737710_display_image.jpg?1336664372

There is a clear need across Chelsea's front line and Hulk would fit in well.

He is accustomed to playing in a 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 formation, meaning he could slot in on either wing for Chelsea tomorrow if needs be.

With Florent Malouda unsettled and Salmon Kalou's contract up for expiration this summer, the wide position will need addressing.

If he signs, he could either be used to supplement the possible loss of Didier Drogba up front or as a new first-choice winger. His versatility would be valuable to Chelsea as they teeter on the cusp of a rebuild.

Comparing Across the Board

143103950_display_image.jpg?1336664458

Hulk has perfected the role of an inverted winger or wide forward and represents one of the best investments you could make in that position.

Comparing him across the board is tough as there aren't many who play like him.

The fact that he's deadly up front, great on the ball and comfortable getting chalk on his boots reminds me of the Alexis Sanchez we knew at Udinese and with Chile under Marcelo Bielsa.

Another direct comparison you can make is Cristiano Ronaldo, although he hasn't hit those heights and probably never will.

Conclusion and Value

139510407_display_image.jpg?1336665486

The mooted fee is £35 million which is no small amount of money.

It's certainly a better use of that money than Andy Carroll, but it's still a massive risk.

You have to pay big bucks to get this kind of player, but if I were Roman Abramovich, I might be tempted to hold fire on Hulk.

His frustrating and selfish nature is the very same you will find in most of Europe's biggest stars but his inability to produce against better teams bothers me.

We've seen him rip the Portuguese league apart but become completely anonymous against Manchester City.

Chelsea already have their own version of Hulk in Daniel Sturridge, and Moussa Dembele or Lucas Moura would be smarter investments.

This transfer, should it be completed, could go one of two very different ways. He's either the next Cristiano Ronaldo or the next Andriy Shevchenko.

He's talented, but £35 million is steep.

Source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1176379-chelsea-transfers-scouting-report-for-hulk/

Would definitely play him as a Strike, he could be our own Agüero. Wouldn't say no to him either if he plays on the wing but with his powerful shots, he could easily come down to get some balls on his feets and if we got a fast winger, he could lure the defender by showing that he will pass the winger and then go for himself to shoot. :halo:

Selfishness

For all his fantastic work on the ball, Hulk does display a selfish streak which could lead to him being labelled as wasteful in the future.

He can be frustrating to play with and frustrating to manage.

Sturridge V2?

:ph34r:

You realise that Hulk did most of work at Porto when Falcao scored later?

Hulk was main suply for Radamel at Porto and if he would be selfish, Falcao would never score all those goals.

Yes he goes and shoots from time to time and tries a dribble too much, but tell me one world class player that doesnt doo that. Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney,...

Besides, good or not, he was best player along Moutinho of Porto when they played against City. He made that assist for first Portos goal.

35M for him ...get it done , i agree with the others we need to play him as a striker not as a winger .Its scary to imagine the strikes outside the box he will have a bash at with that left foot of his.

Agree to disagree. He must play as winger, he is best there and we require wingers. If you want striker, buy Falcao then. He will cut inside and try to shoot, but every winger does that.

Messi, Ronaldo, Sanchez, Robbery, Di maria, Ayew, Pedro, Lucas, Muniain,...

He must play on wing, he is freaking fast and that speed will help him more while running down the flanks than in penalty area. His primary position is winger. The only reason Porto played him as striker is because Falcao was suspended/injured/rested and later after they sold Falcao, Hulk played cf because Porto had no consistant striker.

Where you got idea of playing him as striker when we need a few wingers and perhaps world class striker, but Hulk is a winger.

Agree to disagree. He must play as winger, he is best there and we require wingers. If you want striker, buy Falcao then. He will cut inside and try to shoot, but every winger does that.

Messi, Ronaldo, Sanchez, Robbery, Di maria, Ayew, Pedro, Lucas, Muniain,...

He must play on wing, he is freaking fast and that speed will help him more while running down the flanks than in penalty area. His primary position is winger. The only reason Porto played him as striker is because Falcao was suspended/injured/rested and later after they sold Falcao, Hulk played cf because Porto had no consistant striker.

Where you got idea of playing him as striker when we need a few wingers and perhaps world class striker, but Hulk is a winger.

BlueLyon do you think we can sign Hulk?, i really need to know.

FFS, Hulk is totally winning me over. I just think that he will help us a lot. Also that he is muscular version of Lavezzi. Please let this signing come true. For all I know signing a "wonderkid" and a "top class" winger in one transfer window would be my dream summer for all I care. Having Ramires, Marin, Studdge, Hulk and Mata would be ideal. I really hope he signs now that I have read a bunch of analysis on him. I really think that its his physique combined with speed that will help him in England.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You