Schurrle signing confirmed; will wear #14

I don't think it was the priority.

I think they have targets and as the bids are accepted they'll confirm the deals.

I guess Andre's just happened to be the first bid that got accepted, not the priority.

They're thinking long term here.

Instead of counting only in forming new talents, they're aiming team's young talents so they can mold them in Chelsea.

It's more expensive, but still it's less money than buying them when they're on their prime.

Also with a manager like Mourinho, they should keep investing in boys under 21 imo, but of course we need a new reinforcements in a few positions that I wouldn't mind finding someone already ready.

I like the new policy

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps a tad unrealistic, but I really do hope he can adapt to the right-hand side of our '3' and act as a workhorse winger like Muller does at Bayern. That means we keep Hazard in his better role basically playing similar to how Ribery does with Mata also retaining his preferred position. That would be balance.

I don't understand how this is our first priority this transfer season. We have three of him already; and they're all better.

Since when have players been signed in the order of priority?

Glen Johnson was the first signing Roman paid for...

We Don't have 3 of him atall. We have players that can also play on the LW. None of which can play in every attacking position like him.

I don't understand how this is our first priority this transfer season. We have three of him already; and they're all better.

We have Hazard who is better than him. Mata and Oscar don't really come into it, as they really want to be played centrally.

The transfer window technically isn't open yet, so i think its a bit early to be wondering about priorities. If we still haven't signed a DM or DLP by august then it is a valid concern.

This was our priority because our main issue last season was squad depth especially in the attacking midfield area. Hazard and especially Mata were worked to death last season and it was a miracle neither of them suffered long-term injuries.

Our next priority, imo is a central midfielder and a goal keeper.

A stat that might cheer everyone up about this signing - has anyone else wondered why we don't seem to do a lot of through balls? From whoscored, the top two players with the highest percentage of accurate through balls....

Cazorla 33 (accurate) - 66 attempts

Silva 17 (accurate) 46 attempts

Compare this to our playermakers - Mata has the highest, 8 out of 16 attempts and hazard 2nd highest, 5 out of 9 attempts. I checked the numbers for kdb & Schurrle to compare and even though kdb attempted more through balls, 18 to Schurrle's 12 however Schurrle completed 8 accurate through balls to kdb's 7.

So my point in showing this is that while I understand why some people might question this signing and why people might have concerns, however there is clearly a different dimension that schurlle brings that our scouts believe would benefit the team. It might not be apparent to the untrained eye, but we only have to look at his stats to see that 1. he takes on players more often than any other player in our squad and 2. he's more penetrative and incisive with his passes than the players we have. Here's hoping that he'll surprise everyone.

If he matures on the field, and by that I simply mean make the simple pass instead of the long-shot sometimes, I'll probably laugh at my previous comments about him and call myself an idiot.

Dug up some old games of his from Mainz thanks to some guys on BigSoccer and I think his potential is higher than I originally rated. Excited.

I love how he's reacting to his signing. Quote from his Twitter. The "Thank you" is just cute for a footballer. It's rare:

I am now official a Chelsea player:) so happy and proud!! Thank you:) #blue