Schurrle signing confirmed; will wear #14

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great read :D particularly like this part " He contested nearly 600 duels in the Bundesliga. Only seven strikers managed more this season and his duels won percentage (43) is one of the highest in his position." if he can do that with us we will for be retaining possession

Pressing and defending all over the pitch is something we need to improve. Plus he adds depth and brings a different style of play.

nah, I guess he meant he would try to fight for a position because he didn't want to go through what Marin did... not the classiest comment, but I don't think he thinks Marin flopped.

The boy was injured/not-in-shape-to-play for most part of the season, you can't say it's a flop

Or most likely the journalist asked a loaded question like "will you flop Marin-style?" to which a simple answer like 'no' will be reported as "FUCK NO! MARIN? HE'S SHIT. I'LL NEVER FLOP LIKE THAT CLOWN!".

Take everything with a pinch of salt.

Well I remember a lot of people said they don't understand the buy, when it happened and not months after.

So yes they knew.

My question then, what is the opinion with Shirley Temple?

Is he decent enough?

At least an improvement to Moses and I will be happy. Does not has to be world class like Hazard or big potential like Oscar, but just good and better then someone like Moses.

Now not to say I don't like Moses, I think he is a better option then Kalou, Yossi and Malouda put together. He is a good bench personal, but not an effective player for those big games when we need a change.

I think you mainly got the point. For a rotation player, he's very good. He's an improvement to the Moses we've seen after the African Cup. He's definitely better than Marin, but you always have to wait how he blends in the team.

Schürrle definitely has potential and also showed it in the Bundesliga, Euro League and national team, but his problem is the consistency. He played some neat games in the this season but then again, you didn't see him 4 whole matches. The thing is, he will probably not get too much time to prove himself (like Marin), so his consistency problem could really ruin it for him.

I thnik he is on holdiay in Greece,so he will complete medical and sign after his holiday :)

Correct, I remember during the coverage of that exhibition game in honour of Ballack, he went on record to say he especially moved back his holiday plans to play.

^^

He still hasn't agreed personal terms yet, so it'll probably take some more time to be done, but there's no rush about it.

he has agreet personal terms ages ago. his agent already confirmed it. just some paper work to be done and the medical.

It is an issue. We have five players who should be starting regularly at attacking midfielder. Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Schurrle, and KDB. Oscar is best as a #10, the rest of them are all #10s (more or less) or play on the left side. Moses is our only natural right-sided player but he's our 6th best attacking midfielder, so giving him a lot of playing time doesn't really make sense. None of this sort of thing matters against Sunderland or Palace because we are so much more talented and should beat them regardless, but against an organized side, it will matter. Someone is going be played out of position next season a fair bit.

Exactly!

This is why I am against this deal. If we had a great RW instead of one of Oscar, Mata or KDB, signing Schurrle would have been a hell of a transfer. However, adding Schurrle doesnt solve our chronical RW problem. He brings depth and quality, but he is a luxury a squad with the problems Chelsea's still has, shouldnt be focusing on...

Schurrle is not the player who is talented enough to break into the attacking trio of Hazard-Mata-Oscar, so he is basically a 18mi pound bench player who won't be able to balance the right side of our attack. That will mean another season with Oscar playing on the right and all the inbalance it brings with it. He will also not add the width and natural wing plays many want. Which, again, wouldn't be a problem if we had a true RW (but that isnt the case).

For instance, Hazard-Mata-Oscar or Schurrle-Mata-Hazard is worse than Hazard-Mata-RW. A bench of Oscar, KDB and Moses is more than good enough for any team in the fucking planet. The squad would be more equally distributed and there are good RWs on the market for a bit more than 18mi (which isnt all that cheap) that we could have gone for.

Schurrle is a decent player, but doesnt carry th bags of potential people think. It was better for us to have bought a true RW!

He gets my instant support because he is now a Chelsea player, but I will only be convinced if he prooves to be above all my concerns listed in this post!

Hazard is lethal no matter where he plays, if you can't recognise some of his best games for us have been where he has drifted to either wing (key example being West Ham at home), then....

I disagree.

On the left he's much more effective, he can be lethal in all kind of situations while on the right it's not the same, he can be dangerous too there but in a more limited kind of scenario.

The game against West Ham is not a good example, Ok he did damages on the right but Him and Mata were playing deeper than usual, they were playing very close too each other starting their actions 40 meters away from the goal because west Ham were sitting deep and not pressing, they were attacking their line of midfield, passing the ball to move their midfield and create a lot of space for other players and themselves.

Shürlle could play as a second striker.

On the right wing also, with his running, he could do call behind the defense and offers easy tap-in for the striker or shoots himself.

Hazard when he played at Lille, the year when they were champions, played mostly in trequartista role behind Sow and gervinho, drifting left, center, right. Schürlle could play the Gervinho role of Lille quite effectively, running into the spaces.

It seems to me that Mourinho used this formation quite a lot when he was at Porto with Deco behind two forwards.

To my mind the only reason someone wouldn't want Schürrle is because he could jeopardize the chance of some of our Belgian/Brazilian lads playing time/development. Truth is, though, that everyone has to fight for their chance and grab it with 2 hands. Let them all do their talking on the pitch.

De Bruyne played 3 games on the right last season. He's barely played on the right in his career and I don't care too much about a handful of national team performances. Like any of the players, he can play on the right, it's just not where he's used to playing and not his natural position.

Im talking about this post of yours in my previous post Toronto ..... 'Barely' is bullshit. Sorry to say. Have you actually watched Genk and Kevin from 2009-2011 back in Genk? I did, you obviously didn't. Thats why I say you confuze your opinion with fact. He did play there regularly. I think @hamilton on here also watches a lot of Genk and will surely confirm. Also Kevin is born in my hometown - local boy here.... During his youth years he played rw a lot as well.

The handfull national team performances you kinda denigratingly talk about with so much aplomb were performances where he actually was the best of the whole qualifying campaign- the engine of the entire team. And yes, on the right wing.

I'd say he is an accomlished right winger allright, the best we have actually. Not because he ALWAYS plays there or because he played there for years in a top CL team, but because he PERFORMS there. See the difference?

Anyway .... Thats why i said, not this again. Its like a broken record playing the same tune over and over.

Back on topic.

Everyone is so pessimistic about this transfer. It's getting really ridiculous.

Coming into the transfer window the biggest concerns for me are striker, then central midfield and then center back. These still haven't been addressed and as long as that is so there will be some unease at spending this much money on Schurrle.