Schurrle signing confirmed; will wear #14

He suffers from "Sturridge Syndrom". Striker being played out of position on the wing. He naturally looked too selfish.

I have to agree...I was thoroughly underwhelmed by his performance at the Euros. Just kinda buckled under the pressure and expectations. Reus did much better in the game where they both started (qf against Greece), pity he's already off to Dortmund*

Edited by FormerRussianSpy

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree...I was thoroughly underwhelmed by his performance at the Euros. Just kinda buckled under the pressure and expectations. Reus did much better in the game where they both started (qf against Greece), pity he's already off to Bayern

He is off to Borrusia Dortmund, not Bayern pal

I'm too lazy to read the first 4 pages.

But was I the only one not beeing convinced by him at the Euros ? He's will and seems to have a good mentality, he was present in the play but he had waaaay to much bad choices and waste on his last touches

While he does have the same problems as Sturridge, Schurrle is less whiney and much harder worker.

The Euro's aren't that easy to judge players. Look at Ribery, Benzema, Young, Rooney, Van Persie, Robben etc they all had shockers in the Euro's. Players should be judged on their recent club form more imo. Schurrle wasn't great in the Euro's but i know he had a great season in Germany. We're linked with too many of the same players tho. We need to just earmark one and get him before we go to America.

I think Gio dos Santos wouldnt be bad for a fair price below 10mio. He is absolutely fantastic in Mexico team, I never know why is he not playing at Spurs...

He could be one of those great talents who just need to change club. Sure we would get Hulk

too, but having Gio for less than 10mio would be wonderfull.

There were some rumours he might return to Barca, he has great ball skills, maybe Mata and Hazard can make him shine at club level too!

I wanted Dos Santos at Chelsea for a long time.

But I think AVB will keep him and get him to shine.

So, we are really interested in him IF reports are to be believed on Leverkusen turning down a bid from us. Wouldn't mind him. Talented lad and can only get better. Would be nice to have more Germans in the team too. :lol:

but with Shurrle we can buy another player too if we are willing to fork out whatever exactly Porto want for Hulk. presumably around 38m ....20m Shurrle,plus say look at another Leverkusen..they have two pretty good and young RB`s Schwaab(sic?) and Castro. we could dress up as Fidel to honour him if he turned out a crowd pleaser...Marxists just want to have FUN! :) that Borussia M RB looks good too..jantscke

Reinartz could be a good squad option,young and can play in two different positions,possibly 3..(CB/DM or possibly FB)

or we can put all our eggs in the Hulk golden plated basket and hope the potential is strong enough already.

why on earth would we get a spurs reject? not good enough for us imo.

so many better young players out there.

Since when was Schurrle a Spurs reject? He has only every played in Germany and I don't think he has even been linked with Spurs. Are you referring to Giovanni Dos Santos?

Since when was Schurrle a Spurs reject? He has only every played in Germany and I don't think he has even been linked with Spurs. Are you referring to Giovanni Dos Santos?

i meant giovani dos santos

Schuerrle you can’t be serious?

By: Ed

These are topsy-turvy times to be a Chelsea fan.

The Blues - much like the rest of the footballing world - are still adjusting to life in a world in which they are European champions, but the talismanic striker who fired them to glory has since left the club.

The Stamford Bridge faithful excitedly await their first opportunity to catch a glimpse of the much-hyped, big-money new addition Eden Hazard, but they also face an anxious week as their captain, John Terry, today begins his five-day trial for allegedly racially abusing Anton Ferdinand, a charge he denies.

And only yesterday they showed they still have both ambition and money to spend when they tabled a £16 million bid for Germany forward Andre Schuerrle, only to have it rejected by Bayer Leverkusen.

"We were presented with a very concrete offer from Chelsea for Andre of beyond the 20 million euro mark," Leverkusen chief executive Wolfgang Holzhauser was quoted as saying by German news agency SID "The sum was pushed back and forth between the two clubs. We ultimately chose Andre.

"Andre is very valuable for us. He has also made it clear he would like to stay with us."

What the 21-year-old must think about the fact there were significant negotiations over the fee before his club "chose" him is anyone's guess. If the European champions are really determined to get him, it remains to be seen how strong the lure of remaining at Germany's fifth-best club really is. The Europa League is a fine competition, of course, but it suddenly becomes a lot less appealing when a genuine assault on the biggest silverware is on offer. Well, for everyone except Jan Vertonghen, it seems.

There is little surprise that the former Mainz player has attracted attention, though. As a young attacking player from Germany he could hardly be more in vogue.

In his only start at Euro 2012 - as Joachim Loew showed off the depth of his squad by changing his entire front three for Germany's quarter-final - Schuerrle was unfortunate not to score as he rained six shots on the Greek goal in little over an hour on the pitch as Germany won 4-2.

With Drogba gone and Frank Lampard seemingly settling into the deeper midfield role that worked so well towards the end of last season, the Blues could do with another player who is not afraid to have a pop at goal. After all, David Luiz needs no further encouragement to rampage up the field any more than he does already.

Schuerrle only netted nine goals and set up another three in his first year at Leverkusen, but his ability to play high up the pitch in wide positions on either side as well as centrally proved highly valuable for his team and would clearly suit Roberto Di Matteo's Chelsea well.

Signing Schuerrle would give Fernando Torres a trio of swift schemers - along with Juan Mata and Hazard - to eagerly buzz around him and tee him up for chance after chance. The Spaniard may have become a Champions League winner and a European Championship Golden Boot almost by the back door this year, but he could not ask for anything more as he prepares for life as the main man in Chelsea's attack.

There are many reasons for Chelsea to persist with their pursuit of Schuerrle. He is one of Germany's hip young gunslingers. He has two Rs in his name in a place any lesser person would only have one. Anything he does of note would surely be reported with a slew of Airplane-inspired puns.

But, most of all, he would be yet another young and high-quality attacking talent who would help drive Chelsea back towards the top of the Premier League.

There are many reasons for Chelsea to persist with their pursuit of Schuerrle. He is one of Germany's hip young gunslingers. He has two Rs in his name in a place any lesser person would only have one. Anything he does of note would surely be reported with a slew of Airplane-inspired puns.

I died of humour when I read this.