Schurrle signing confirmed; will wear #14

I wouldnt want Schweini actualy. He is older player, we have some young players there who need to play and his price is very high.

But most of all, this season, he showed how mentaly unstable he is. When he couldnt look at Robben penalty, when he missed that penalty in final and couldnt hold the pressure on euro. He had terrible tournament for his kind of player. After loss twice in final of CL now, loss with germany in final euro 2008, loss against Italy this year and several defeats by Dortmund must have damaged his confidency. Muller was nothing special either, Schurle even less.

If there is any player I would go from Germany attackers right now is Reus or Gotze, but both are unavailable.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schurrle and Sturridge have no correlation to each other. Schurrle is more a winger who can play up front, while Sturridge is a Striker who can do a job on the wing. The way i see it is if we bought in Oscar and Schurrle, for the 3 attacking midfield positions we'd have: Marin, Oscar, Schurrle, Mata, Hazard competing (with Ramires for games where we look to counter) and for the CF we have Torres, Sturridge and Schurrle. That is brilliant depth if you ask me

I think they'd sell too, but he'd cost a lot and he's not a natural right-sided player. With Bayern he functions mostly as a second striker which is why he wasn't playing as much (Bayern was moving away from that formation). His ideal positions IMO is either as second striker or as an attacking midfielder. He is a terrific player and will do well anywhere, but if Chelsea are looking for a natural winger, he really isn't one. Personally, I'd love him with Chelsea because he's such an intelligent and talented player and has proven his quality at the highest levels. An attacking midfield 3 of Mueller, Hazard, and Mata would be fantastic (and all three are flexible enough where traditional roles needn't apply.)

As for Schurrle, I think he'll be a very good player, but he took a step backwards last season. My big concern is what his arrival would mean for Sturridge. The idea of spending 20M on Schurrle and then selling Sturridge for 10M seems absurd to me.

I agree with this. He isn't natural on the right side but he is more than comfortable and I think he would be a player that would thrive in a free role within the three attacking midfielders. He works very hard aswell, and it is always nice to have a German in the squad!

I hope that any forward being brought in would be to allow Lukaku to go out on loan and get a full season or two of games under his belt, preferably in the Prem, rather than selling Sturridge.

I like Schurrle but I'm not sure he would be worth 25MM. If he signs then Danny would be free to be fulltime ST and push Torres.

Schurrle, IMO, will be a great player but. with the Oscar deal, would be an expensive luxury.

if we are to accept that 4-2-3-1 will be our primary formation then we will have to accept that he is seen as a player for the 1 up front. he can fill in and do the LW or RW in a 3 man front but he`s not suited for the edge of the 3 behind the sole CF.

he was played at LW for Germany in the Euro`s. people need to watch him as a CF before coming back with he didn`t impress you or atleast add that he didn`t impress you when he played out of his primary position.

having Oscar means nothing atall to if we should still sign Schurrle. the only thing they have in common is that they are attack minded players. it`s like saying we didn`t need Ballack because we already had Drogba.

I know Schürrle very well, as about the nearest Bundesliga club always has been Mainz and so i'm friends with many mainz supporters. Schürrle is quality undoubtley, but he would not fit in here. He is technical all roudn display is well shaped, his major strength is his shooting, either hits them hard and true with the dorsum of the foot (or how Vollspann is called in English)or his inside, with which he can curl as well as shoot hard. Also he is a good finisher, as his reaction s are quick and he can be really aggressive towards lose balls. his weaknesses are his passing, crosses and movement within the team. He is a natural sprinter but on the other hadn waits for the ball instead of moving in space. A bit indisciplined in his movement, needs much freedom to be prolific, but u cannot grant a player like him a special role at Chelsea. Would say his first position would be left-sided striker in a old-fashioned 4-4-2, 2nd left attacking midfielder, 3rd lone striker. ineffective in any other position and not really fitted for a fluent 4-2-3-1 as he does not really like to interchange position so much. Hence i would strongly advice against purchasing him

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1126478/bayer-leverkusen%27s-andre-schurrle:-hard-to-turn-chelsea-down?cc=4716

Andre Schurrle has admitted it would have been hard to turn down the chance to join Chelsea if Bayer Leverkusen had accepted an offer from the Blues for his signature.

Leverkusen rejected Chelsea's offer -reportedly £20 million - for Schurrle, 21, as the Bundesliga club felt they would be unable to find a suitable replacement.

"I don't think you would find any player in the Bundesliga who would say that they would not at all be interested," Schurrle said.

"Chelsea would have been very interesting for me. You don't get a chance like that very often in your life."

However, Germany international Schurrle, who joined Leverkusen from Mainz in 2011, respects his club's decision.

"[Director of sport] Rudi Voller has explained the reasoning to me several times," he told Kicker magazine. "They could not find a suitable replacement and I am too important to Bayer."

I don't think Schurrle is what Chelsea needs, the team is stacked with wingers and wing forwards, what is missing is an out and out centre forward to serve as back up to Torres, when Lukaku goes on loan. I'd prefer a cheap option like Demba Ba, whose a proven goalscorer in the Premier League with West Ham and Newcastle, and would cost just 7 million pounds, plus low wages.

• 2 weeks later...