Retiring numbers

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In other words, you are suggesting that we give the supposed iconic squad number to someone who is fitting to wear it, right? If that is the case, then I very much agree with it.

Same here. But really, it doesn't matter in the end if someone else gets to wear it. Its not as if Drogba was wearing 11 the whole time he was here.

i dont see even what the honour is supposed to be in retiring a number anyway,if i was a great,i would want future greats to wear my number and to have worn the same number as greats from the past.

but that`s just me..it`s not as bad as Prom Nights and Pagant queens ,gun crime ect. but it`s still one of the stupid things that North America introduced that i hope we never follow.

25 wasn`t too bad because it`s a number that isn't that important other than because Zola wore it.

Thank you Alex

I'm getting tired of all this talk about retiring his number, building statutes etc. Yes he was a legend for what he's done for the club and he played the biggest role in helping us win the two cups this year. But ffs people are also forgetting his negative aspects like moaning at times, throwing his toys out of the pram after Jose was sacked, showing disinterest in plenty of matches, so on. I don't mean to be the downer and talk about such things just a week after the greatest night of our history and also his exit from the club. He was a great player and is a truly wonderful human being as well, but please let's stop getting carried away!

Thank you Alex

I'm getting tired of all this talk about retiring his number, building statutes etc. Yes he was a legend for what he's done for the club and he played the biggest role in helping us win the two cups this year. But ffs people are also forgetting his negative aspects like moaning at times, throwing his toys out of the pram after Jose was sacked, showing disinterest in plenty of matches, so on. I don't mean to be the downer and talk about such things just a week after the greatest night of our history and also his exit from the club. He was a great player and is a truly wonderful human being as well, but please let's stop getting carried away!

you forgot to mention the bitch slap on Vidic. that i will always believe was the main reason we didn't win it 4 years ago. he redeemed himself in his last game. if he hadn't his legacy would have been great in FA cup finals but couldnt even act like a man in a champions league final.

The number retiring idea was always moronic. I agree that maybe for a season it could stay vacant so that fans could get used to it or whatnot, but as with everything else in life, time will change everything.. in a few months the calls to retire his number will start cooling down and in a season (or two at stretch) noone will even think of that anymore. Hell, only unusual numbers should be retired at extreme circumstances, like Turnbull's 22 for example.

Imagine number 1 being retired in Cech's honour, lol... no goalkeeper would want to join us anymore, except for maybe Fabianski or that lesbian looking Paddy Kenny from QPR.

The number 9 should have been retired when Pizarro left the club.

Still miss you Claudio.

I just remember getting really happy for him when he scored against QPR....then it went down as an OG kinda oooo..no goal!

That one needs to be retired!Been a sodding jynx of late wear it and you will play like crap!

Agree with not retiring numbers and following on from what LDN Blue said in regards to United's no 7 shirt, I would be pleased for someone new to come into the side and whilst appreciating what Drogba did for the club, not be afraid of 'following in his footsteps' and show the confidence to take his no 11 shirt on and continue the legacy. Same with Zola's no 25.

Maybe Hulk and Hazard between them can take those two numbers this summer B)

What I do think though that Drogba should have to be honoured is one of those banners in the ground. Considering what he achieved for us, it's a real slap in the face that Torres has one having done very little so far.