David Luiz

the wes

Just now, Stats said:

We kept the most amount of clean sheets in the league after the two best teams. Luiz was in the team for the majority of that. He has errors but he also has games where he is sold and looks the part. Last season included. We kept 16 clean sheets in the league IIRC.

But he is not the MAIN reason we kept that amount. He was also part of some defensive horror shows.

Just now, Stats said:

Now one of the defensive duo who played in that team, we are giving to the team who finished below us. Why should we be giving him to Arsenal? Suits the way they are trying to play from out the back, and also adds quality that they need. For a team who desperately needed a CB apparently on a limited buget, they have got a really good deal.

Don't think any of us wants the club to sell Luiz to Arsenal. But he's thrown his toys out of the pram and wants to go to them because they're the only club who have shown interest. He could have chosen to stay and fight for his place considering we will be playing in 4 competitions but nope, he chose not to.

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

Arsenal just lost their captain, the guy who organised their defence for seasons, when they could actually have their defence considered meh. They have no leaders at CB. Luiz is hardly a leader either. He captained Brazil in 1 WC game when Thiago Silva wasnt there and look how that went, the guy was exiled from the NT for about 3 years. Cant wait to see him and Mustafi trying to organise their back 4 while Granit Xhaka captains them. 

Arsenal will finish above us maybe I dont doubt that because theyve got that many match winners in attack but they need to sort out their defence to do anything other than fight for top 4, Luiz isnt the answer but we should be biting their hand off. Rudiger, Zouma, Christensen and Tomori wont offer the same on the ball but other than Tomori who is untested in the PL, those 3 have more than enough to be relied on.

His best football came in a back 3 for us when he played in the middle, where he was more reactive than proactive compared to the wider CBs. 

Well I think we are a lot weaker with him gone. He may not be John Terry leadership but he was a good enough leader for me. Dictates the tempo of the match along with Jorginho. Also even in penalty shoot outs etc, he is ever so reliable. May be underestimated, but imo that is more proof of his leadership. When pressure is on he does not hide.

7 minutes ago, Stats said:

Well I think we are a lot weaker with him gone. He may not be John Terry leadership but he was a good enough leader for me. Dictates the tempo of the match along with Jorginho. Also even in penalty shoot outs etc, he is ever so reliable. May be underestimated, but imo that is more proof of his leadership. When pressure is on he does not hide.

Yeah. The dictating tempo bit is often forgotten: in possession systems, it is defending.

if we are going away from a possession system, I will see what the fuck will Jorginho do? 

10 hours ago, the wes said:

Love the club lol are we talking about the same fella who celebrated like a crazy man when he scored against us for psg 

and returned in a cut-price deal at the end of a transfer window under Conte

7 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Well this certainly spiced up the end of the window for us Chelsea fans!

I have to say first on this matter that I'm really disappointed with David Luiz if reports are true with regards to how this has played out. Last summer he wasn't wanted by Sarri and knuckled down and fought for his place in the team. I can only assume that either he's not as confident this season with the current crop of centre backs or Lampard has made it crystal clear that he would be 3rd or 4th choice. As an experienced player and having signed a contract above the usual terms the club give, he really should have given us this coming season and either requested to leave in January or next summer. Terry and Cahill both did the same on their way out, and were very much dignified and professional in what would have been difficult circumstances for both. 

I think the biggest thing we would be losing in Luiz well beyond his ball playing ability is a big influential leader and character, not just on the pitch but just as vitally off the pitch. This is where the likes of Cahill and Terry were still able to contribute even when not playing and having lost in recent months the likes of Hazard, Cahill and Fabregas, it's disappointing to be losing another.

However that can also work the other way. A big influential character in the dressing room that's unhappy could have huge ramifications, especially on a much younger group of players that we now have. That's why I think we simply have to let him go. Unfortunately it probably will improve Arsenal to a degree (although he will lack the quality of players around, behind and in front of him that he's enjoyed at Chelsea in my opinion) but it is a short term move on their behalf. I do think we're currently very much in rebuild mode where top 4 would be an excellent season but top 6 is probably more realistic. We still have a centre back group that is still comfortably better than United and Arsenal in my opinion, let's roll with it. If Lampard has reviewed his squad and decided to place faith in the centre backs he views as more defensively solid then this decision is entirely justified.

I think Lampard will come out of this situation pretty well too. He's shown that he won't be influenced by previous regimes or favour previous team mates and experienced players. It also shows a ruthless streak that should be commended. He came back and made it clear he wanted a group pulling in the same direction and that wanted to play for the club. Actions always speak louder than words, and if he lets Luiz leave he has just offered proof of that.

Top post.

I don't know if it amounts to anything much, but members of the women's squad have spoken very highly of David Luiz. They said he's a great team mate who does more than most to bring the 'one club' ethic to life.

If David has lost his place as an automatic starter, and wants to join a club where he can play, then I have no problem with it. I've never felt that signing for Chelsea Football Club should be a jail sentence, although of course we must negotiate hard to ensure Arsenal pay a premium price. Naturally, David can no longer command the kind of fee he's moved for in the past, but Arsenal's negotiators know they have to pay over the odds to recruit from a direct rival. If they try to pretend that they've forgotten this, I'm sure Marina will remind them.

I remember when he came back and thought about how surreal it was, his transfer to Paris felt like a sure goodbye and his return didn't really sink in until he started playing again.

However this trump's in the surreal nature, I was busy last night so only found out through a phone call and I checked the BBC site and stood there for a bit as to say "what the fuck". The timing makes no sense, less than a week ago he was talking about how much he loves the club, was buzzing for the new era and his bromance with Mason Mount and within a week he's forcing a move to Arsenal <_<

However something is wrong if we are selling him for £8m, even pre inflation players of that calibre weren't going so cheaply unless there was a very good reason (Deco, Schweinstieger (spelling) for example) so that will be interesting.