Champions League Final 2012 - Chelsea 1 (4) - (3) 1 Bayern Munich

BlueLion.

344 members have voted

1. 1. MOTM?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said in an earlier post, what an incredible night, what an amazing victory, what a superhuman effort from our lads, not only in this game but over the course of the campaign, we were perilously close to going out of the competition as far back at the group stage but the squad showed fight, they showed hunger and they showed togetherness to drive us on to our greatest every victory, our greatest ever season.

Tonight was a massive ask. Against an ultra talented Bayern Munich side that knocked out Real Madrid, in Bayern's home stadium, with 4 suspensions (including our captain and leader, John Terry) and 2 centre backs with dangerous hamstring injuries (made worse by them having to play 120 minutes) and a 22 year old left back playing his first Champions League game at left wing, this was truly a mountain to climb.

Because we were afforded more possession against Munich than we were against Barcelona we were never going to be able to just sit in the same shape as we did against Barcelona because we had to push men forward occasionally and so Bayern had chances. Full credit to the side, we maintained our shape for the most part and towards the end of extra time they seemed limited to shots from outside the box. You couldn't fault a single Chelsea player.

Petr Cech, outstanding. Great save earlier in the match with his leg to tip Robben's shot onto the post. Vital penalty save from Robben in extra time, two terrific penalty saves in the shoot-out. Heroic.

Jose Bosingwa, stuck to his task well, had the occasional dip in concentrating but for the most part did much better against Ribery than the vast majority expected.

Gary Cahill, massive credit to the lad. He's only been at Chelsea 6 months, he has gone from Bolton to a Champions League final and he was excellent at the heart of the Chelsea defence.

David Luiz, Tremendous, absolutely tremendous. Playing with a hamstring injury, he was solid and his penalty (after Mata missed his) was so crucial, an absolute superstar.

Ashley Cole, I remember earlier in the season a few people writing him off, I've always been a big Ashley Cole fan and, for me, he has always been the best full back in the world and he showed it tonight, it was a masterclass in full back play and, along with Terry, Lampard, Cech and Drogba, nobody deserves a Champions League winner's medal as much as him.

John Obi Mikel, I've not always been on the Mikel bandwagon (as most on here who know me would tell you) but he has won me over these last few months and his performance tonight is exactly why. Strong, commanding, the Nigerian was a big physical presence in front of the back four and a very calming presence on the ball. I'd heard it said before that you couldn't win a Champions League with Mikel in your midfield, it turns out you can and it turns out he can be one of your best performers too.

Frank Lampard, inspirational leader. Fought and scrapped in the midfield, maintained the shape of the side, did well on the ball and scored a cracking penalty too, delighted to see him lift the cup with JT, you would be hard pressed to find somebody who deserves a CL winners medal more than him.

Salomon Kalou, yes he frustrates but he always works hard, he helped Bosingwa cover Ribery and Contento and he was a decent outlet on the ball too. To go from being left completely out in the cold earlier in the season under AVB to start a Champions League final, he deserves a lot of credit.

Ryan Bertrand, the surprise choice at left wing, acquitted himself very well in his first Champions league game, doubled up on Robben very well.

Juan Mata, stayed high up the pitch, when he did get the ball his passing was crisp and clever and his delivery for Drogba's late equaliser was excellent, missed a penalty but it didn't matter in the end.

Florent Malouda, did well when he came on, worked hard to track Lahm and keep an eye on Robben.

Fernando Torres, did very well when he came on, looked really up for it, sharp and quick it's very promising going into next season. Also it was a terrific sight to see him parade around with the Champions League trophy, he came here to win club trophies, he has just won the biggest of them all.

but my pick for MOTM is Didier Drogba. Rather ineffective for the best part of 88 minutes, had a few nice touches but generally looked isolated up top as Tymoshuck was given the freedom to challenge in front of him, safe in the knowledge that Boateng was behind him and no Chelsea player was close enough to run in behind if Drogba did win the flick on. Despite the rather subdued 88 minutes, this is the man for the big occasion, this is the best lone striker of his generation, this is the greatest player in the history of Chelsea FC and this might well have been his Chelsea swansong and it only takes one moment. A charge to the front post to get on the end of a well delivered Mata corner, a thumping header past Neuer before he barely has a chance to react, it was the moment Drogba has been waiting his entire career for, a moment that brought tears to his (and my) eyes. Almost turned villain when he gave away the penalty but there was no stopping this fairytale. With memories of Moscow visible in every single Chelsea fans minds, the great man stepped up and took the important penalty kick and dispatched it to win us our first every Champions League. It would have been a travesty had the big Ivorian's career ended without a Champions League winners medal and with this being, possibly, his final chance at glory, Didier made it a personal crusade to deliver the big prize. Remember Valencia at Stamford Bridge? A stirring Drogba performance, single handedly powered us on to beat the Spanish side. Remember Napoli at Stamford Bridge? Dead and buried but Drogba didn;t think so, inspirational performance, rolling back the years to drive us on to beat Napoli. Remember Barcelona at Stamford Bridge and the Camp Nou? Supreme, powerhouse performance at Stamford Bridge as he bullied the Barcelona back four and scored a vital goal and then put in an incredible shift in which he seemed to play in almost every position at one point or another. And now, remember Munich, against the might and history of Bayern Munich, Didier Drogba has fired Chelsea into Europe's elite bracket, a performance that will surely cement his place as Chelsea's greatest ever.

Torres' attitude flipped 180 degrees from the FA cup celebrations to this!

Really good to see him celebrating hard with the others, getting into it :cfc:

DD MoM for me.

But gotta give credit to Cahill. Coming from playing in a relegated side, to playing in a European final after being injured for 4 weeks and putting in 120%.

So much disrespect for Chelsea on most fan forums around. you'd be forgiven for thinking a relegated team had just won the European cup with a "ghost" goal :chai:

blue moon love this!

LIKE THEY SAY! THE BLUE IS RISING! AND WE JUST TURNED MUNICH BLUE!

LMAO HAS ANYONE NOTICED WE HAVE JUST DONE OUR 2ND CLUB DOUBLE?...

by the way this is great for us to be in CL also, now players like Hulk and Hazard seem really possible.

It's nice to see Torres celebrating with the team now. I have a feeling he'll have a decent season next year if we sign some players to help him out.

Liverpool must be pissed.