Benfica 0-1 Chelsea

Kieran.

110 members have voted

1. 1. MOTM?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nevermind Kalou, apparently getting the result needed also turns embarrassing games into displays of tactical intelligence and defensive solidity.

This game is easily one of the 5 worst I've seen this season and despite the inspiring performance by David Luiz we could have easily been 2 down in the second half.

This. I thought we were not good at all. When defending we were okay, but whenever we had the ball our players seemed embarrassed with the ball between their feet. Drogba was right to be happy, we were lucky to be against this team, I found Benfica horrendous (I never expected to encounter a team that bad in a CL quarter-final).

That being said, I am obviously delighted about the result, and happy we maximized our chance to get to the next round.

This. I thought we were not good at all. When defending we were okay, but whenever we had the ball our players seemed embarrassed with the ball between their feet. Drogba was right to be happy, we were lucky to be against this team, I found Benfica horrendous (I never expected to encounter a team that bad in a CL quarter-final).

That being said, I am obviously delighted about the result, and happy we maximized our chance to get to the next round.

Do you think also naples could win against that benfica? :cry:

Do I think Napoli could have won against Benfica ? Yes, definitely for sure. You would have put their defense in great troubles.

mmm...probably!

we are disappointed for this...we had a great opportunity!

but now c'mon guys! lets destroy Benfica also for us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blue%20scalf.gifblue%20scalf.gifblue%20scalf.gifblue%20scalf.gifblue%20scalf.gif

I feel we could have put another goal away on the counter, especially towards the end of the game. I know we had a game plan and it was done well but just imagine two unanswered away goals! Luiz was awesome and Ferreira was also great, why only use him now, he is better than Bosingwa? I would have liked to see Drogba in the last few minuets as he is great at ending a game and he has some of the best defensive headers I have ever seen and they were sending in the long balls. Otherwise a decent performance but we not home and dry yet.

I'll come back with some more in depth comments, but just quickly.... everyone is hilarious here with their comments about Benfica's quality and all of a sudden Napoli would beat us, and we should've had 4-5, and I'd never expect to meet a team so poor at this stage of the CL, etc... has anyone actually stopped to think that Benfica had a bad game relative to their potential? Chelsea have tons more experience at this stage and players who have been through the battles and Benfica have a young team that weren't mentally ready, period. The first half even Chelsea were surprised at how Benfica held back and didn't push offensively. Believe me, Benfica fans were surprised as well. We couldn't string easy passes together, were afraid to make mistakes, and generally playing like hot garbage. Instead of getting all high and mighty about how poor Benfica were, Chelsea fans should be disappointed that Benfica weren't made to pay more for their off game. Do you know why Benfica weren't made to pay? Its because Chelsea weren't anything special yesterday either. It was a shit game all around where tactically both coaches played too timidly and were afraid to go out for the win. I'm not one to cry about refs, but the game was 0 - 0 at the time of the JT play and if that pen was given I'm not sure how happy everyone here would be today with RDM's tactics. Personally I think it was a clear penalty, others have mentioned how most defender go out in that situation with their arms pinned back behind their backs but JT had his arms out. If the situation was reversed and Jardel had his arms out when Torres crossed to Kalou for the goal and blocked it "at close proximity" I'm sure everyone here would say its NEVER a penalty.

The good news from a Benfica standpoint is that even though we played miles from our best, we are only one goal down and Chelsea can easily be had. Again, this post isn't to start shit, its just a reality check for those people who are booking their flights to Barcelona.