Benfica 0-1 Chelsea

Kieran.

110 members have voted

1. 1. MOTM?

I'm really shocked at Benfica. I knew we were favourites to go through but if we were really firing, we woulda won 3-0 and completely stone dead killed the tie already. Benfica at home in a UCL quarter final, absolutely awful blunt performance. Napoli woulda smashed this lot. I don't usually act over confident but this tie is as good as done, now i can see why Drogba reacted like he did if he indeed did do that on purpose. That was almost like watching Man Utd against Schalke last year, embarrassingly easy for such a big high pressured away leg.

Robbie got the team right because Benfica were so poor, simple as that. I will give us credit tho because we were very good in spells but i don't think many teams at home would let us have such a comfortable ride.

The goal was nice, Nando did brilliantly to give Kalou the chance, he was in the right place. He was by far our worst player in the whole game Kalou but he was there when it mattered. Luiz was just immense, the guy has been pure class in the last 2 months and he's who i'd give my MOTM. Also a special mention to Ferreira, not played for a while but was never troubled and looked Solid. Master stroke from Robbie putting the EX Porto lads in to stir it up a bit lol. And then Ferriera off, Bosingwa on, Porto for Porto. Apparently Meireles got involved with the fans too at H/T. Nothing like football rivalries.

JT probably shoulda give away a pen with the hand ball but the Luiz's one was no chance. John's hand was out so it coulda easily been given but we thoroughly deserved the win regardless of anything else that happened in the game.

Perfect scenario = Win the game whilst playing fringe players and giving all the main men a rest. What a perfect, PERFECT night. Barca round 20 (feels like it) here we come!

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah I don't think Terry handball was a penalty. Those are never given. Essien's was given because his arm was raised way over his head. Terry's were not by his side but still in a natural position which shouldn't be given if he's so close.

Handball from a distance, penalty regardless cause you should have got it out of the way. But if it's close range where it isn't humanly possible to react that fast then they look if it's in a natural position or not and Terry's were in a natural position. Should not be penalized for that.

Luiz was class today. Easily MOTM but not holding my breath that his good performances get recognized by those who criticize him all the time when he makes one or two silly mistakes.

Huge performances from Ramires and Cech too. Would be nice to see how much distance Ramires covered today, he was all over the pitch all the time.

Those two chances plus Terry's handball (which was a pen to me) look much worse when compared to the squat we created in the first 75 minutes and especially the football we (didn't) play.

But that is expected in my opinion when you play in the quarter finals of the champions league away from home. And despite defending for most of the game, we managed to force Benfica to play the way we wanted them to, which is slow play and crosses into the box. I thought it was a very 'Italian' performance by the team.

I'm really shocked at Benfica. I knew we were favourites to go through but if we were really firing, we woulda won 3-0 and completely stone dead killed the tie already. Benfica at home in a UCL quarter final, absolutely awful blunt performance. Napoli woulda smashed this lot. I don't usually act over confident but this tie is as good as done, now i can see why Drogba reacted like he did if he indeed did do that on purpose. That was almost like watching Man Utd against Schalke last year, embarrassingly easy for such a big high pressured away leg.

Robbie got the team right because Benfica were so poor, simple as that. I will give us credit tho because we were very good in spells but i don't think many teams at home would let us have such a comfortable ride.

The goal was nice, Nando did brilliantly to give Kalou the chance, he was in the right place. He was by far our worst player in the whole game Kalou but he was there when it mattered. Luiz was just immense, the guy has been pure class in the last 2 months and he's who i'd give my MOTM. Also a special mention to Ferreira, not played for a while but was never troubled and looked Solid. Master stroke from Robbie putting the EX Porto lads in to stir it up a bit lol. And then Ferriera off, Bosingwa on, Porto for Porto. Apparently Meireles got involved with the fans too at H/T. Nothing like football rivalries.

JT probably shoulda give away a pen with the hand ball but the Luiz's one was no chance. John's hand was out so it coulda easily been given but we thoroughly deserved the win regardless of anything else that happened in the game.

Perfect scenario = Win the game whilst playing fringe players and giving all the main men a rest. What a perfect, PERFECT night. Barca round 20 (feels like it) here we come!

By far the worst player? I dispute that. He lost the ball about 5 times by my count, 3 of those within the first 7 minutes. After that jittery start he did really well, he didn't see much of the ball but when he did he at least kept possession. Not sure who we've got in the squad that would do any better than that on the wing.

By far and away and without a shadow of doubt our worst player tonight was Mata. Didn't get enough of the ball, was wasteful with his passes and missed a sitter. But I forgive him for it because the poor kid is at the end of his tether physically and thats why he was pretty poor tonight.

Luiz was class today. Easily MOTM but not holding my breath that his good performances get recognized by those who criticize him all the time when he makes one or two silly mistakes.

Huge performances from Ramires and Cech too. Would be nice to see how much distance Ramires covered today, he was all over the pitch all the time.

ramires did 26 miles ,,,kenyans dont do more than marathons

What's your point? He didn't even play.

He would of put of an equal or better shift that Kalou who other than his goal and 'his praise for tracking back' when that is a winger's job to do, was terrible in going forward and connecting with the midfield.

By far the worst player? I dispute that. He lost the ball about 5 times by my count, 3 of those within the first 7 minutes. After that jittery start he did really well, he didn't see much of the ball but when he did he at least kept possession. Not sure who we've got in the squad that would do any better than that on the wing.

By far and away and without a shadow of doubt our worst player tonight was Mata. Didn't get enough of the ball, was wasteful with his passes and missed a sitter. But I forgive him for it because the poor kid is at the end of his tether physically and thats why he was pretty poor tonight.

Mata has not been playing well for us last few games because he was being man-marked. Our mid and wing really need to really help him

Come on, Kalou scored but wasn't involved in anything, i didn't even see him. He's supposed to be an attacking winger or something. Just because he scored i'm not gonna say he was good. I didn't see him attack their right back or anything a winger should do. But hey... he scored so he's a hero.

I was a bit disappointed with Ramires in the 2nd half tho, he skinned their LB so many times, he got booked but then he didn't force him into any bad challenges that coulda seen him get sent off. He was absolutely electric in that first half tho, just lacks the quality ball sometimes (all the time).

Anyway i don't want any Kalou debates, he used his strikers instincts today and was the match winner so well done to him. He is a striker after all anyway isn't he really? We got a great win and we should be ready now to have a great season finale!