Benfica 0-1 Chelsea

Kieran.

110 members have voted

1. 1. MOTM?

I know Benfica weren't exactly in their tip-top form last night but why is it that every time without fail before games like this, everyone will say "it's gonna be tough", "they're not easy to play against" and things like that and after we beat them, it's all "oh, they were poor", "it was against an average team XXXX" or "they were rubbish"!

How about giving the team more credit of actually containing the opposition well rather than talking so much about how bad the opposition were!

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good find, I agree with most everything in that article. Also, their match report reflects a lot of what I was already thinking.

I thought benfica played ok, decent offensively but super leaky at the back.

Just wondering how in the heck can you can get a draw against MU ? Your defense was so leaky especially on the left (your left back cannot cope with ramires, how can you cope with Valencia ?)

- A very welcome and unexpected result as I couldn't see us winning there with Drogba & co starting let alone the team RDM selected so hats off to him - I bow to his superior knowledge & eat some humble pie. RDM did admit it was a risk & fortune favours the brave so fair play to him for showing some balls.

- I've given Mikel a hard time on here but have always said that I will give him credit when its due, thought he had his best game for us last night for sometime so voted for him, I hope he can follow it up now & show some consistency. Recently its been Torres or Luiz as our best players both were good again, Luiz in particular, who i thought was immense - seems like another player that needed time to settle & now we are reaping the rewards.

- Great result but still a lot to do - just remember Liverpool away a few seasons back 3 - 1 up after the first leg before finally going through after a see-saw game that was really nerve racking, a little calm for now as I expect a tougher encounter at home - that away goal was so crucial though.

Salomon Kalou started for the first time this season in the Champions League and rewarded Roberto Di Matteo's faith with the goal, while Paulo Ferreira was handed his first action since New Year's Eve.

Source:Chelseafc official site

what is wrong with ChelseFC people ... his hand ball against Valencia caused all sorts of problem in this forum.

*sigh* ChelseaFC should do a better job with the articles they post !

Edit:apologies !

Source:Chelseafc official site

what is wrong with ChelseFC people ... his hand ball against Valencia caused all sorts of problem in this forum.

*sigh* ChelseaFC should do a better job with the articles they post ! :(

He came on as a sub against Valencia.

So many people just talk shit, Chelsea didn't play well and they had lucky because we have Emerson and Jardel in the left side and Torres wants to cross to far post and cross to Kalou. John Terry and Mikel can play with hands that nothing happens, Luiz stop a goal from Cardozo, Cech did well and nothing more, in the next match Benfica will be much more offensive and you don't think that would be easy, you have a very poor team for someone who wants to win de CL or the PL, many of you think that you are better than you really are. Just saying...

So many people just talk shit, Chelsea didn't play well and they had lucky because we have Emerson and Jardel in the left side and Torres wants to cross to far post and cross to Kalou. John Terry and Mikel can play with hands that nothing happens, Luiz stop a goal from Cardozo, Cech did well and nothing more, in the next match Benfica will be much more offensive and you don't think that would be easy, you have a very poor team for someone who wants to win de CL or the PL, many of you think that you are better than you really are. Just saying...

We played well for a team away from home, facing "tough" competition. Get over it.

Sounds like a bitter fan...

Of course we played well, we defended absolutely brilliantly and had by far the game's best chances (Kalou's goal, Mata hitting the post, the Kalou header, Meireles' shot from the edge of the box). We were lucky to survive the penalty appeal though, that is something I have already said.

I think you're just angry because you've been shown for a very disappointing side, I expected more much from Benfica but they were distinctly average and we could have won 3-0 and the result would not have been flattering. I hope you turn up and play in the second leg, otherwise it'll be a very easy game, especially if we play as well as we did against Napoli.

In fact, Napoli would have destroyed you, they are a better team technically with a more adept manager and far better attacking players than both Benfica and Chelsea. If Cavani and Lavezzi would have had the chances Kalou and Mata had, you'd be out of Europe already.