Benfica 0-1 Chelsea

Kieran.

110 members have voted

1. 1. MOTM?

I'm really shocked at Benfica. I knew we were favourites to go through but if we were really firing, we woulda won 3-0 and completely stone dead killed the tie already. Benfica at home in a UCL quarter final, absolutely awful blunt performance. Napoli woulda smashed this lot. I don't usually act over confident but this tie is as good as done, now i can see why Drogba reacted like he did if he indeed did do that on purpose. That was almost like watching Man Utd against Schalke last year, embarrassingly easy for such a big high pressured away leg.

Robbie got the team right because Benfica were so poor, simple as that. I will give us credit tho because we were very good in spells but i don't think many teams at home would let us have such a comfortable ride.

The goal was nice, Nando did brilliantly to give Kalou the chance, he was in the right place. He was by far our worst player in the whole game Kalou but he was there when it mattered. Luiz was just immense, the guy has been pure class in the last 2 months and he's who i'd give my MOTM. Also a special mention to Ferreira, not played for a while but was never troubled and looked Solid. Master stroke from Robbie putting the EX Porto lads in to stir it up a bit lol. And then Ferriera off, Bosingwa on, Porto for Porto. Apparently Meireles got involved with the fans too at H/T. Nothing like football rivalries.

JT probably shoulda give away a pen with the hand ball but the Luiz's one was no chance. John's hand was out so it coulda easily been given but we thoroughly deserved the win regardless of anything else that happened in the game.

Perfect scenario = Win the game whilst playing fringe players and giving all the main men a rest. What a perfect, PERFECT night. Barca round 20 (feels like it) here we come!

Benfica just failed on the finishing, and you can't say what you sad about Benfica, when you just saw ONE game of us.

Ok, then im going to have my opinion on Chelsea just in one match; WBA vs Chelsea. Do you think that's fair?

Chelsea made a very intelligent game, congratulations on victory, but saying what you said about Benfica is little unfair.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll come back with some more in depth comments, but just quickly.... everyone is hilarious here with their comments about Benfica's quality and all of a sudden Napoli would beat us, and we should've had 4-5, and I'd never expect to meet a team so poor at this stage of the CL, etc... has anyone actually stopped to think that Benfica had a bad game relative to their potential? Chelsea have tons more experience at this stage and players who have been through the battles and Benfica have a young team that weren't mentally ready, period. The first half even Chelsea were surprised at how Benfica held back and didn't push offensively. Believe me, Benfica fans were surprised as well. We couldn't string easy passes together, were afraid to make mistakes, and generally playing like hot garbage. Instead of getting all high and mighty about how poor Benfica were, Chelsea fans should be disappointed that Benfica weren't made to pay more for their off game. Do you know why Benfica weren't made to pay? Its because Chelsea weren't anything special yesterday either. It was a shit game all around where tactically both coaches played too timidly and were afraid to go out for the win. I'm not one to cry about refs, but the game was 0 - 0 at the time of the JT play and if that pen was given I'm not sure how happy everyone here would be today with RDM's tactics. Personally I think it was a clear penalty, others have mentioned how most defender go out in that situation with their arms pinned back behind their backs but JT had his arms out. If the situation was reversed and Jardel had his arms out when Torres crossed to Kalou for the goal and blocked it "at close proximity" I'm sure everyone here would say its NEVER a penalty.

The good news from a Benfica standpoint is that even though we played miles from our best, we are only one goal down and Chelsea can easily be had. Again, this post isn't to start shit, its just a reality check for those people who are booking their flights to Barcelona.

Spot on. Many of us are celebrating too early. Benfica were far from their best, how much of that was their own fault or a result of our defence I don't know, but the point remains is that they were poor and we still only knocked one past them. I'm still a bit concerned over the second leg, we can't afford to turn up and play like we're through already.

And as for Napoli, I think they would have destroyed Benfica, 3-1 or maybe even 4-1. Your defence is just too slow, Lavezzi and Cavani would have a field day. Emerson in particular was embarrassed repeatedly by Ramires and Torres for sheer pace. Our defence is somewhat quicker and they still beat us 3-1, with their goals coming simply from being faster on the counter.

Chelsea will be playing much more comfortable football at the bridge with the fans behind their back.

I'm sure the players are also looking forward to face Barca next round as well.

Payback's a bitch!

Spot on. Many of us are celebrating too early. Benfica were far from their best, how much of that was their own fault or a result of our defence I don't know, but the point remains is that they were poor and we still only knocked one past them. I'm still a bit concerned over the second leg, we can't afford to turn up and play like we're through already.

Exactly.

I'll come back with some more in depth comments, but just quickly.... everyone is hilarious here with their comments about Benfica's quality and all of a sudden Napoli would beat us, and we should've had 4-5, and I'd never expect to meet a team so poor at this stage of the CL, etc... has anyone actually stopped to think that Benfica had a bad game relative to their potential? Chelsea have tons more experience at this stage and players who have been through the battles and Benfica have a young team that weren't mentally ready, period. The first half even Chelsea were surprised at how Benfica held back and didn't push offensively. Believe me, Benfica fans were surprised as well. We couldn't string easy passes together, were afraid to make mistakes, and generally playing like hot garbage. Instead of getting all high and mighty about how poor Benfica were, Chelsea fans should be disappointed that Benfica weren't made to pay more for their off game. Do you know why Benfica weren't made to pay? Its because Chelsea weren't anything special yesterday either. It was a shit game all around where tactically both coaches played too timidly and were afraid to go out for the win. I'm not one to cry about refs, but the game was 0 - 0 at the time of the JT play and if that pen was given I'm not sure how happy everyone here would be today with RDM's tactics. Personally I think it was a clear penalty, others have mentioned how most defender go out in that situation with their arms pinned back behind their backs but JT had his arms out. If the situation was reversed and Jardel had his arms out when Torres crossed to Kalou for the goal and blocked it "at close proximity" I'm sure everyone here would say its NEVER a penalty.

The good news from a Benfica standpoint is that even though we played miles from our best, we are only one goal down and Chelsea can easily be had. Again, this post isn't to start shit, its just a reality check for those people who are booking their flights to Barcelona.

Exactly

And much of Benfica's poor performance tonight can be attributed to Jardel and Emerson. Take them out and it probably would have finished 0-0.

Garay is fundamental in our defence.

You are right about that.

Exactly its only half time.Still another 90 minutes to go and if they score first then all even no where near through

If a 3-1 lead and a 4-0 lead can easily be cut..1-0 defintly can

is garay returning for the second leg?

Doesn't look like it, the press is suggesting he may be back for the weekend game against Sporting right after the second leg so you never know. Garay is a very strong CB who can cover up for a lot of Emerson's deficiencies and would've made a huge difference for us.

Benfica's left side of defense with Jardel and Emerson is subpar even for a second division Portuguese league team. Just think, last season Benfica's starting left back was Coentrao and left centre back was David Luiz, not too shabby eh? Also, its still a mystery why we leave an experienced solid world and european champion LB like Capdevilla on the bench while insisting on Emerson who is blatantly Benfica's weakest link on the field.

Haha.... The Funny and greatly Ironic part about this is that he will probably be on the bench for the next game.

He has to start from square one every game and try and build momentum .... and he probably knows he is sitting on the bench against Aston Villa.

Wierd Conundrum our club is under ATM.

yes ... because we can't frustrate Drogba on the bench. He is crucial and proves to be the game changer when we need him in dire situations, Torres still doesn't have my confidence there. Almost all the players are performing and giving their best under RDM and its nice to watch :)