Kevin de Bruyne

Madmax

I'm not convinced. A CM in the BPL needs to switch, pass, decide ... very quickly. KDB likes to have the ball, I think definitely for Chelsea's type of playing he would slow down the game too much. KDB is actually the one who should get the ball from the pivot to set up an attack, come inside, play a through ball, throw in a cross, etc. That's where his strengths lie imo. So I think it'd be a waste for Chelsea to have him slow down the game in the middle and a waste for his personal strengths as well.

KDB slowing down the game? His best asset in that position is his passing range. He won't slow up the game playing as a CM.

I don't think he's strong enough yet to play in that position in the big games. But in home games against inferior opposition, it's well worth the try. He played his best games in the CM-position and he'll be involved much more in the game in that position, which makes it easier to gain confidence.

KDB slowing down the game? His best asset in that position is his passing range. He won't slow up the game playing as a CM.

I don't think he's strong enough yet to play in that position in the big games. But in home games against inferior opposition, it's well worth the try. He played his best games in the CM-position and he'll be involved much more in the game in that position, which makes it easier to gain confidence.

I still don't think it's a good idea: defensively too weak, little experience in that role, too much of his attacking qualities go to waste ... I'd like to see him on either one of the three AM (L, R or C) positions.

I still don't think it's a good idea: defensively too weak, little experience in that role, too much of his attacking qualities go to waste ... I'd like to see him on either one of the three AM (L, R or C) positions.

Which won't happen, not consistently anyway. Point is Lampard has been useless lately, Kevin could possibly fill that void in the centre of the pitch. I never liked him on the wings anyway, he's slow and his crosses will rarely connect with our strikers or one of our midgets up front.

I guess KDB is in a bit of a tough spot.

• AMC: Oscar, Mata: No place for KDB here, unless for injuries / suspensions.
  • AML / AMR: Schurrle, Hazard, William: They seem more the appropriate winger type to me then KDB is

Playing KDB in the pivot would require a lot of moulding and perhaps that might not even be possible at all.
I guess we will need to have patience and time will tell what Mourinho has planned with KDB.

Does anyone remember Schweinsteiger who started out as a left midfielder/winger before being moved into what is now the pivot role?

It's been done before. I can see Kevin achieving the same if he works hard at his defensive side of the game.

Maybe this is what Mourinho has been planning all along. Im still not convinced but if Jose thinks he could be a solution there, he has my backing.

Does anyone remember Schweinsteiger who started out as a left midfielder/winger before being moved into what is now the pivot role?

It's been done before. I can see Kevin achieving the same if he works hard at his defensive side of the game.

The perfect scenario for us if that pans out.

He definitely has the potential.

Maybe we don't need a CM come January.

De Bruyne- Rami pivot can work magic.

I wrote last year in this thread I thought his future would be as a cm. I know it might just be me but he reminds a lot of scholes. His passing range has that type of potential.

Obviously scholes was a plain awful tackler too so that is also what made me think of him. But like many have said. If he works on his defense, he could be amazing there. I have really big doubts about it and honestly don't think it will happen, but I could see it

I've heard the theory of KDB replacing Lampard in the future for Chelsea from quite a few ppl that know what they are takling about when it comes to football in general. Please don't give me the KDB fanboy stamp for this....

My own opinion tho is that his defensive qualities are too poor for that role...

I've heard the theory of KDB replacing Lampard in the future for Chelsea from quite a few ppl that know what they are takling about when it comes to football in general. Please don't give me the KDB fanboy stamp for this....

My own opinion tho is that his defensive qualities are too poor for that role...

People tend to talk up 'the defensive duties' as if every other player who isn't a defensive midfielder can't make a tackle or positiin themselves to make it awkward for the opposition. Kevin has the passing game to become a center mid and if you compare him to the current Frank Lampard then let's face it, his legs are younger and has more energy witch is needed in that role. Lampard isn't a good tackler and isn't effective in the pivot at all. We haven't seen Kev there yet so how do we know he woudln't flourish there??

Everybody agrees then :)

I for one would like to see the experiment one day where a club is managed entirely by it's fanbase. Democracy rules. Polls to decide who makes it to the squad, what formation is used, etc. Only assistant coaches required for the training ground. Live webcams during all trainings so the fans can see who's training well ... Could just work!

As for Lampard, he's Mourinho's big buddy. I very much doubt Mou would even consider to take him off.

Ramires is a crucial player. All AM positions are fully stacked with other wonderful players, so we might as well face it, KDB will never be part of the plan here. However sad that may be.