Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

There's a few people who constantly dismiss Cahill with glee as a 'mid-table' defender. He isn't. He's at a top club.

Funnily enough if we were a mid-table club these 'fans' wouldn't bother following this club.

he's at a top club but he is mid table quality. you cant consider him good enough to be a league winning centre back.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he's at a top club but he is mid table quality. you cant consider him good enough to be a league winning centre back.

I don't consider John O'Shea a league winning centre-back but he's got 5 league winner's medals. You don't win the league with 25 superstars, but with solid back-ups like Cahill.

Everyone probably saw him as third choice, but Luiz simply hasn't been good enough. If you want Cahill playing less then your hero has to start giving a fuck about the badge on his blue shirt and not just the one on the shitty yellow one.

Why should Luiz leave ?? Because he cant get his place ? Fight for the place if he wants it that much.Let him prove that he deserves the position and take it off Cahill. I'm surprised that you think he should leave!! I thought that was the reason for having a big squad. To make players more competitive and not allow the player who has the position to become complacent !! Are you by any chance Luiz's agent?? :D

1. it's an unfair dispute - one is the darling of the press.

2. Because there is a LOT of interest on Luiz, so why should he "fight" for his place? Technique wise he's twice the player Gary is, so why should he bother losing money and value, while he could easily start for Barcelona? Not to mention the style would fit him perfectly.

3. Luiz starts and captains Brazil. He wants to play in the WC and for that he needs to play week in and out. Unrealistic to expect him to accept rotation/squad role.

I just don't see how Luiz can "win" in England. England is so conservative in certain aspects, and don't think supporters and pundits are ready for a CB like Luiz.

2. Because there is a LOT of interest on Luiz, so why should he "fight" for his place? Technique wise he's twice the player Gary is, so why should he bother losing money and value, while he could easily start for Barcelona? Not to mention the style would fit him perfectly.

3. Luiz starts and captains Brazil. He wants to play in the WC and for that he needs to play week in and out.

I just don't see how Luiz can "win" in England. England is so conservative in certain aspects, and don't think supporters and pundits are ready for a CB like Luiz.

1. Bollocks

2. What the fuck? Why should he fight for his place?? Are you serious?

3. Meh.

That last thing shows a complete lack of understanding of English football. This is the country of Bobby Moore. Don't chat shit.

1. Bollocks

2. What the fuck? Why should he fight for his place?? Are you serious?

3. Meh.

That last thing shows a complete lack of understanding of English football. This is the country of Bobby Moore. Don't chat shit.

Wow great arguments... really don't know where to start... ;)

please try to spot ANY criticism on Cahill's play by English commentators or pundits... ever! It's like he's the best defenders in the world.

Same reason it's unrealistic to expect Courtois to fight for his place; why would he if there is a lot of interest on him? I don't make the rules, but ignore the market all you want.

Can we all just agree that neither Cahill nor Luiz have proved their worth to this club this season? Both of them have been poor and at times, just downright disastrous. They are far too inconsistent to start week in week out for a title challenging side. I really don't understand this club at times, we had all summer to find a new defender but what did we do? Buy fucking Willian.

3. Luiz starts and captains Brazil. He wants to play in the WC and for that he needs to play week in and out. Unrealistic to expect him to accept rotation/squad role.

A Luiz on song is a joy to behold. But just because he is not getting a game shouldn't mean that he throws all his toys out of the pram!!! Maybe he would walk into the Barca side, but he's a CHELSEA player so he should play like the player he can be, then Cahill will have a fight on his hands. But at the moment he is not being the player he can be.

And if he could just walk into the Barca team, then they dont have much strength in depth. To play for the top teams you must fight off the competition and earn your place by performance, not reputation.

You might have had a point if Luiz was putting in solid shifts this season, however....

Whenever he's played, he's been gash..

Can we all just agree that neither Cahill nor Luiz have proved their worth to this club this season? Both of them have been poor and at times, just downright disastrous. They are far too inconsistent to start week in week out for a title challenging side. I really don't understand this club at times, we had all summer to find a new defender but what did we do? Buy fucking Willian.

I don't agree with that at all. I think our defensive problems have little to do with the CBs. That's my point actually. That Gary does not add solidity, so the best player should play instead. Regardless, with Gary or Luiz, our defensive system hasn't been good enough. Oscar absence has also played a part.

Put any CB in there and we'd concede just the same. Again, I don't criticize Gary for his mistakes, but his lack of technique.

A Luiz on song is a joy to behold. But just because he is not getting a game shouldn't mean that he throws all his toys out of the pram!!! Maybe he would walk into the Barca side, but he's a CHELSEA player so he should play like the player he can be, then Cahill will have a fight on his hands. But at the moment he is not being the player he can be.

And if he could just walk into the Barca team, then they dont have much strength in depth. To play for the top teams you must fight off the competition and earn your place by performance, not reputation.

It's not about playing better or worse. He plays exactly the same for Brazil, but his style works for Brazil and does not for Chelsea's esp under Jose's system. His style would certainly work for Barca who starts 5'10 Mascherano as a CB. Bayern's high possession system would be great for him too.

I don't see Luiz playing much worse than say last season. That's how he plays take it or sell him.

I don't agree with that at all. I think our defensive problems have little to do with the CBs. That's my point actually. That Gary does not add solidity, so the best player should play instead. Regardless, with Gary or Luiz, our defensive system hasn't been good enough. Oscar absence has also played a part.

Put any CB in there and we'd concede just the same. Again, I don't criticize Gary for his mistakes, but his lack of technique.

It's not about playing better or worse. He plays exactly the same for Brazil, but his style works for Brazil and does not for Chelsea's esp under Jose's system. His style would certainly work for Barca who starts 5'10 Mascherano as a CB. Bayern's high possession system would be great for him too.

I don't see Luiz playing much worse than say last season. That's how he plays take it or sell him.

Its not his style that I am worried about. It's when he decides to go walkabout that really frustrates me. If he can eradicate that from his game then yes, he could play for any team.........EVEN CHELSEA :D

Its not his style that I am worried about. It's when he decides to go walkabout that really frustrates me. If he can eradicate that from his game then yes, he could play for any team.........EVEN CHELSEA :D

that's also part of the bundle... take it or sell him.

I don't consider John O'Shea a league winning centre-back but he's got 5 league winner's medals. You don't win the league with 25 superstars, but with solid back-ups like Cahill.

That's the nail on the head really, Cahill is the right type of player to have here, a squad player, homegrown and not a big ego, he can fill in when need to and do a job, like O Shea did for United. I wish we kept Cork for that reason.

Jose doesn't seem to get the memo however and is playing him every week.

Our defense has been horrible for a very long time now; ignore it all u want but the number of goals conceded is very telling.

So it's ok for u and others to pinpoint luiz's mistakes but others can't pinpoint Garry's mistakes And deficiencies because other players were equaly as bad?! Spare me please.

I don't think he was horrible as to me Garry is always consistently average-decent but our ball possession has also been pretty bad of late and both defenders inability to pass the ball is hurting the team. That's why I dislike the pairing of similar players-always have.

Let me just make my point clearer without bias: Luiz is the best defender when in possession that I've ever seen play the game. Say however, that for one reason or another Chelsea/Jose style doesn't work for Luiz, and we sold him and bought Phil Jones from United (won't happen I know). That's a pairing that would've worked because he's a ball playing CB; he could pair either GC or JT and we'd have complementary attributes in them.

BTW, it might be because Azpi has been playing on the left of late, where he clearly struggles - that's on Mourinho I guess.

what a load of bullshit!!!! conceding 3 goals in consecutive matches against the bottom feeders CAN NOT be one man's fault. conceding one goal due lapse of concentration against cardiff at home was one man's fault.

every goal conceded can by analysed 100 different ways and by ifs anf buts u can literally prove that every player was at fault as the player could have been in a better position.

take for instance the 2nd goal conceded.

walters fouls (?) azpi, JT leaves his position to cover for azpi, leaves ireland to be covered by mikel, crouch to be covered by GC. when the ball is played into ureland, GC was doing exactly that, covering crouch, mikel could not cover ireland and we concede. for u and other luiz lovers, GC must have taken the responsibility and tried to intercept the ball or something.

hence the pin-pointing is useless cos, the goals we are conceding are team mistakes and not just the result of one man's brain fart.

all the other bull-shit u have written about ball-playing defenders has nothing to do with what i said, but infact just simply proves my point. luiz-lovers would go to any extent to defend him and put down GC cos they know JT is untouchable and critisizing him would be like commiting suicide. so all u guys decide to make mincemeat of GC. that is all there is to this.

ps - azpi plays brilliantly against schalke (2 legs), does well in the same position for the last 5 or so league games, and all is well and dandy, but has one poor game and instead of saying that he actually had a poor game, u have the nerve of saying " that's on Mourinho I guess"... oh, the double standards!!!

what a load of bullshit!!!! conceding 3 goals in consecutive matches against the bottom feeders CAN NOT be one man's fault. conceding one goal due lapse of concentration against cardiff at home was one man's fault.

every goal conceded can by analysed 100 different ways and by ifs anf buts u can literally prove that every player was at fault as the player could have been in a better position.

take for instance the 2nd goal conceded.

walters fouls (?) azpi, JT leaves his position to cover for azpi, leaves ireland to be covered by mikel, crouch to be covered by GC. when the ball is played into ureland, GC was doing exactly that, covering crouch, mikel could not cover ireland and we concede. for u and other luiz lovers, GC must have taken the responsibility and tried to intercept the ball or something.

hence the pin-pointing is useless cos, the goals we are conceding are team mistakes and not just the result of one man's brain fart.

all the other bull-shit u have written about ball-playing defenders has nothing to do with what i said, but infact just simply proves my point. luiz-lovers would go to any extent to defend him and put down GC cos they know JT is untouchable and critisizing him would be like commiting suicide. so all u guys decide to make mincemeat of GC. that is all there is to this.

ps - azpi plays brilliantly against schalke (2 legs), does well in the same position for the last 5 or so league games, and all is well and dandy, but has one poor game and instead of saying that he actually had a poor game, u have the nerve of saying " that's on Mourinho I guess"... oh, the double standards!!!

Hate when people lump a bunch of ideas, even things I specifically did not say/write and use to make a point. I won't go discuss points I did not make. Azpi played all his career as RB, so you think that after 5 games he's now as capable as a LF... wow!

Listen to me.... John Terry is twice the player Gary is. David Luiz is twice the player Gary is. David Luiz and Terry are world class players and Gary isn't. It's actually quite simple; just pay attention to the transfer market. No opinion, just market valuation.

Your point and of others was that the defense was more solid with Gary (fewer mistakes), even though David is the better overall player - any child can see that. Or are we now arguing who has better technique?! Well, our defense has been far from solid, so what the fuck is Gary *adding* to the squad? His Englishness?!

Hate when people lump a bunch of ideas, even things I specifically did not say/write and use to make a point. I won't go discuss points I did not make. Azpi played all his career as RB, so you think that after 5 games he's now as capable as a LF... wow!

Listen to me.... John Terry is twice the player Gary is. David Luiz is twice the player Gary is. David Luiz and Terry are world class players and Gary isn't. It's actually quite simple; just pay attention to the transfer market. No opinion, just market valuation.

Your point and of others was that the defense was more solid with Gary (fewer mistakes), even though David is the better overall player - any child can see that. Or are we now arguing who has better technique?! Well, our defense has been far from solid, so what the fuck is Gary *adding* to the squad? His Englishness?!

azpi is a full back, and by that i hope he knows how to defend and after watching him play for a month as a LB, i would not say, he cant play there. infact if u ask azpi himself, he ll say he had a bad match instead of childishly pin-pointing that he was played out of position against sir jonathan walters. so yes, wow indeed!!!

JT, DL might be 5 times the player and i dont need to pay attention to the transfer market to know that. or do people like u really think andy carrol is worth 35mil!!!

the defence was most solid when GC-JT. take schalke matches or man city matches or infact any match before these 2 matches. conceding 3 goals from set-pieces was not because GC-JT were not solid, the first goal against stoke was not conceded cos GC-JT were not solid.

our defence has been most solid with GC-JT, stats prove that, our win% proves that and just 1 poor performance at the back would not take away performances like the ones against schalke (h&a), city, basel etc etc...