Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

I challenged anyone to watch the goals again and come up with their version of what went wrong,this means nothing as does most of the rubbish spouted on Cahill's involvement on the two goals Sunderland scored. 1.Mikel 2.Luiz , What are your versions?

This is not about who made a mistake here or there, at least not to me.

It's about how one handles the difficulties created by the opponents. Cahill's defending for the second goal showcases why I dislike him: it was passive. He tried to block a couple of times, and all the attacker had to do was to pretend to take a shot which causes Cahill to pause - never making a move towards the attacker.

Aside from this type of passive defending that I dislike (favoring blocks) I think he's an overall pretty poor passer.

Again, if our defensive system was working at all, Cahill, Luiz, and Terry, wouldn't be facing the attackers one-on-one all the time, but I am just answering your question.

However, with our midfield ATM a 25yo Franco Baresi (or Maldini) wouldn't stop us from conceding.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just only saw the Sunderland goals and bloody hell! What on the earth was he doing for their second goal?!! He practically invited or rather charitably gave that space to Ki to have a shot. A bloody idiotic mistake and pathetic positioning!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :yay:

:lol: This feels a bit random in the midst of all this bashing.

He was my motm. I was a bit nervous when the lineup came up, but he made a flawless match, absolutely flawless. He's back to a very good level and I just wish he had a bit better pass. Sometimes he roofs the ball without trying to pick a pass instead, and while I think some moments ask for that, many aren't that dangerous, but he seems terrified of going for the pass. It doesn't compromise, it's a flaw, but it doesn't compromise.

Played a very secure match, handled their players very well and I think Luiz better up his game if he wants to go back to the team. If Cahill can carry on playing like this he deserves to start.

Not going to lie, i was screaming into my I pad when i saw it was Cahill and not Luiz starting, not only does Luiz always play well against Arsenal, i felt we needed a proactive defender in this type of match.

But he had a good game, really good game, made that vital interception in the first half, that prevented whoever was behind him having a tap in,

Good performance from him. He does well in these big-match situations where Chelsea sit deep

Can't say much as I couldn't watch the game but Cahill is definitely in his element when we play a defensive approach like that, suits his abilities and covers his defensive deficiencies.