Frank Lampard

DavidEU

It seems to me that lampards age is getting referenced far too much.. Yes he is not exceptionally quick but he was never breakneck speed anyway, it was his tactical awareness positioning and timing that made him deadly.. He is still adjusting to his deeper role and i think he still has that... Also there has been nothing to suggest he doesn't have the same level of fitness many of the others have... He was still motoring forward and back towards the end of the game yesterday and looked to still have the stamina required... Admittedly he has not played amazingly over the first two games but saying the defensive error were down to him is a bit extreme. For example, mikel in the first game gave the ball away about 7 times and ivanovic has in both games appeared to be ripped apart at times in his right back position. Atm, compared to the alternatives he is the best we have at starting off the attacks from deep (the exception being oscar who has only been in the squad a week and isn't really a DM either). I think he needs to be a little more disciplined as at times he still thinks he is a CAM venturing forward in great positions like he has done BRILLIANTLY for all those years, and hopefully a bit more of a word from RDM and he can make a few adjustments...

Anyway we need him on to convert all the penalties that eden is gonna win for us.. Really hope he can get to that 203 goal mark to become our top scorer, which is 15 goals away, would be an extremely special moment for him and all of us... :)

Not denying that Lampard has been culpable at times but really, people seem to be blowing things out of proportion by suggesting that he is the main reason for our defensive and passing problems. Torres has misplaced countless of passes upfront and how come I don't see people criticizing him as much as they do now with Lampard? Heck, even Mata has made some poor passes in midfield lately that put us unnecessary pressure and how come I don't see people getting on his back?!

While Lampard may not be the greatest of passers, he's still good at it but people seem to be making it out worse than it is. Furthermore, he is only one in the team right now who is capable of playing in the double pivot role right now. The fact is, until we find ourselves a player who is suitable to be playing there, we can't just toss Lampard out of the starting XI. He will still play an important role for us this season.

I actually think Lampard is decent passer of the ball. And I think if he could be a decent pivot player, if only he maintained his tactical discipline, i.e. picking out passes in the middle of the park, making himself available for the short option (i.e. the water carrier role that deschamps played so well) and refraining himself from bombing forward too often.

If you watched our last game, you'd notice he didn't have too many touches in the middle, and was always too keen to join the attack, leaving mata and hazard to build from deep. I know it's his instincts to go forward and score, but he should leave that to our front players now that we've added creativity up top. What I'd like to see from him is if he could pull a selfless shift in the middle and not hunt for goals too often. He can always score from penalties.

I'd say that Lampard is not without blame too. He's just too keen in getting forward at all times and doesnt seem interested in building up play from the middle. It'd be interesting to see whether a Mikel-Romeu combo would work.

I'd like to see that as well. With Mikel staying deep, Romeu can chase players and try to break up play early. And he has shown that he has the ability to start attacks from deep.

It's the only way I can see the double pivot working over a whole season and against top sides (without parking the bus).

It seems to me that lampards age is getting referenced far too much.. Yes he is not exceptionally quick but he was never breakneck speed anyway, it was his tactical awareness positioning and timing that made him deadly.. He is still adjusting to his deeper role and i think he still has that... Also there has been nothing to suggest he doesn't have the same level of fitness many of the others have... He was still motoring forward and back towards the end of the game yesterday and looked to still have the stamina required...

It's ridiculous. We played a whole whack of games under RDM last season and Lampard was amazing (and please, spare me the "parking the bus" crap, we only did that in 3 games, Lampard was playing in central midfield ). He played very well in the central midfield role. If you looked at the problems Chelsea had last season under RDM, central midfield was among the least of them. Suddenly, it's the biggest problem. Why? Are Chelsea having trouble scoring? Nope....Has the central midfield been responsible for costly defensive mistakes? Nope. I get it, the central midfield doesn't allow Chelsea to keep possession, right?...Wait, they had 72% possession yesterday. So, why the sudden need to get rid of Mikel and Lampard? It's simply the fetishization of the new. People want new players, young players, players who do skill moves on youtube videos (as if step-overs help you win championships) It's like people are shopaholics for new players. There is no need to change a part of the team that has not been a problem under RDM. Lampard does not need to be fast. He does not need to stay static in the midfield. Mikel does not need to boss the game. They're fine. You are basically creating conditions for these players where everything will be their fault. Go buy some players on football manager. It will make you feel better.

IIRC, he now has scored 38 out of his 41 penalties in the league. I know Shay Given and Tim Krul saved two of those. Can't quite remember who is the other one.

;)

http://www.thechels.co.uk/frank-lampard-and-the-art-of-the-penalty-kick/

It's ridiculous. We played a whole whack of games under RDM last season and Lampard was amazing (and please, spare me the "parking the bus" crap, we only did that in 3 games, Lampard was playing in central midfield ). He played very well in the central midfield role. If you looked at the problems Chelsea had last season under RDM, central midfield was among the least of them. Suddenly, it's the biggest problem. Why? Are Chelsea having trouble scoring? Nope....Has the central midfield been responsible for costly defensive mistakes? Nope. I get it, the central midfield doesn't allow Chelsea to keep possession, right?...Wait, they had 72% possession yesterday. So, why the sudden need to get rid of Mikel and Lampard? It's simply the fetishization of the new. People want new players, young players, players who do skill moves on youtube videos (as if step-overs help you win championships) It's like people are shopaholics for new players. There is no need to change a part of the team that has not been a problem under RDM. Lampard does not need to be fast. He does not need to stay static in the midfield. Mikel does not need to boss the game. They're fine. You are basically creating conditions for these players where everything will be their fault. Go buy some players on football manager. It will make you feel better.

I completely agree, i assume you are referring to all his doubters in the last sentance, but yeah they seem to be looking for excuses and see that there is a 34 year old in our midfield. He isn't as good as he once was... But he once was WORLD CLASS and now he is simply CLASS.

I completely agree, i assume you are referring to all his doubters in the last sentance, but yeah they seem to be looking for excuses and see that there is a 34 year old in our midfield. He isn't as good as he once was... But he once was WORLD CLASS and now he is simply CLASS.

Yes, I meant a general "you" to the haters.

Those penalty stats are more than stunning. Still remember when he missed at City and all those numbers regarding his successfull series came up. More than 20 penalties in a row resulted in a goal.

'It's the usual result from the spot for Frank Lampard.'

Lampard should start in fewer matches, but not dropped. Also, at 34, his form won't be very good at the start of the season, but should get better in time.

I'd still start him considering how young the new signings are. Meireles, Ramires (or another CM) can provide him some cover.