Frank Lampard

DavidEU

This guy is a problem. He's not a deep lying playmaker which is the type of player that we need. He gets easily out of position leaving Mikel exposed and it seems he can't play one touch football. Needs to be dropped.

I'm glad u r not the manager... RDM just need to play him in other role with other instructions.

I'm glad u r not the manager... RDM just need to play him in other role with other instructions.

There is no other role he can play.

Maybe AM but there are clearly at least 3 better options.

I personally didnt think he played as bad as some people are making it look.There is one simple problem:He is 34

I want someone to have the courage to drop Lampard for good. He is becoming a liability. Gives the ball away far too much. Keeping the ball starts with the double pivots. We probably won't buy a DM so we should try

Essien Oscar

Or for real stability

Essien Romeu

You obviously were watching a completely different game...

no i was not. we had 2 men in the midfield- lamps and mikel and mikel is no help in possession. so except for the 10-15 mins towards the end of the 1st half where we kept losing possession, inthe whole match it was lamps who got our attack started. moreover he was literally outnumbered 2 to1 or 3 to1 in mid with the reading plan being to press both lamps and mikel, so both hazard n mata found themselves in some space.

Is it just me or did it seem that Lampard was not all that involved in the midfield build-up play in our first two games? Oft the case it would be Mata and Hazard dropping deep to build up play whilst Lampard just bombed forward at every opportunity. I thought RDM said that he would be adapting his role to play deeper and more disciplined this season. But it seems it's the same Lampard style of old.

Also, whilst it does look good when our attacking players drop deep to dictate the tempo, I think it should be the role of our two players in the pivot to do it. Having to drop deep just takes away the effectiveness of their forward play. Don't think its fair for Mata and Hazard having to drop deep whilst Lampard just bombs forward when it's his responsibility to be the one who dictates play from deep. To me, it takes away the balance of the side, and makes him look like a passenger at times.

On another note, I felt Mikel played ok and kept the ball going but always outnumbered in the middle with Frank always going off on his runs forward. I also felt that Ramires often looked lost or was not involved much in play, his passing is just not quick and accurate enough for the possession game. He looks better when we're counter attacking.

I think Mikel has been the problem. Mikel is supposed to break up the play and use his dominant physique. Lampard is there so start the move and look for the early killer ball. Mikel has started the season so badly that he's putting more pressure on Lampard and Lampard, as a 34 year old, can't be doing everything in there. I don't think Frank is in the wrong position, just Mikel is playing like a total twat next to him.

I think for the quicker type of football we're trying to play both are not up to it to be honest. Mikel isn't a strong bulldog/destroyer type which I think you need in a 4-2-3-1. He is too slow (passing wise) and passive. Good to use when we need to slow down the game or need to shut up shop.

On the other hand Lampard is not good enough at linking the play. He loses the ball far too much making what should be routine and simple passes. As mentioned before he also bombs forward too much. He needs to realise when to go and when to stay. I think Oscar in time can perfect this role as he seems to gracefully drift across the field.

From his time in the Brazil squad and what I've heard about his days at Internacional he makes good runs into the box as well without overdoing it as Frank is doing. The biggest challenge will of course be the physical side but I think Ramires/Essien and Oscar/Romeu would truly be better choices.

Is it just me or Lampard has become a scapegoat here after the departure of Bosingwa and Kalou?

As long as the debacle of Lampard vs AVB (which resulted in so many users attacking Lamps with many foul mouthed insults) doesn't repeat, I'm sure everything will turn out fine.

I think Mikel has been the problem. Mikel is supposed to break up the play and use his dominant physique. Lampard is there so start the move and look for the early killer ball. Mikel has started the season so badly that he's putting more pressure on Lampard and Lampard, as a 34 year old, can't be doing everything in there. I don't think Frank is in the wrong position, just Mikel is playing like a total twat next to him.

I'd say that Lampard is not without blame too. He's just too keen in getting forward at all times and doesnt seem interested in building up play from the middle. It'd be interesting to see whether a Mikel-Romeu combo would work.

Is it just me or Lampard has become a scapegoat here after the departure of Bosingwa and Kalou?

Don't think it's scapegoating at all. I saw a link yesterday to another forum (Think it was a City one) and even highlighted how Lamps has no discpline whatsoever. As things stand, he's not playing his role in the team and is getting forward far too often

Don't think it's scapegoating at all. I saw a link yesterday to another forum (Think it was a City one) and even highlighted how Lamps has no discpline whatsoever. As things stand, he's not playing his role in the team and is getting forward far too often

Not denying that Lampard has been culpable at times but really, people seem to be blowing things out of proportion by suggesting that he is the main reason for our defensive and passing problems. Torres has misplaced countless of passes upfront and how come I don't see people criticizing him as much as they do now with Lampard? Heck, even Mata has made some poor passes in midfield lately that put us unnecessary pressure and how come I don't see people getting on his back?!

While Lampard may not be the greatest of passers, he's still good at it but people seem to be making it out worse than it is. Furthermore, he is only one in the team right now who is capable of playing in the double pivot role right now. The fact is, until we find ourselves a player who is suitable to be playing there, we can't just toss Lampard out of the starting XI. He will still play an important role for us this season.