Non-Chelsea Transfer Pub

Hamilton

Dunno why people on this board underestimate United's potential for this season so much. They have a cracking line-up.

United, City and Arsenal are all title candidates without a doubt.

On paper, utd are favorites. There's no two ways about it..

They have more quality in midfield than any team in the league as well as a better bench than everyone else.

Luckily Di Maria is being sold so that weakens their strength in midfield a bit but still, a very strong, in depth team. People are sleeping on the United squad IMO.

They have more quality in midfield than any team in the league as well as a better bench than everyone else.

Plus their big game result and performance under van Gaal has been superb. That's a factor that's often glossed over. With the squad they have now and with the team maturing, they should easily dispatch the smaller teams and you can expect them to continue their big game form against the big teams.

And what about defence and up front?

Their defense is not weak. Individually, ours and City's defense is not better, after all, Cahill and Ivanovic are starters for us!

In attack, I'm pretty sure they will sign another striker but even if they don't, Rooney is capable of getting 15-20 goals as a striker easily.

Plus their big game result and performance under van Gaal has been superb. That's a factor that's often glossed over. With the squad they have now and with the team maturing, they should easily dispatch the smaller teams and you can expect them to continue their big game form against the big teams.

The challenge for Van Gaal is to integrate everyone into the system. It's never easy to bring several new big players into a team.

So maybe wait for those amazing reinforcements before proclaiming them the doubtless favourites ...

I'm not calling them doubtless favourites but they are definitely up there. They don't need amazing reinforcements either. Up front will be more of depth signing, in defence they'll have to make a pretty big signing but they're still very decent there... They have a very, very good squad.

Their defense is not weak. Individually, ours and City's defense is not better, after all, Cahill and Ivanovic are starters for us!

In attack, I'm pretty sure they will sign another striker but even if they don't, Rooney is capable of getting 15-20 goals as a striker easily.

Remains to be seen if Cahill starts for us in the new season, especially if we do land Stones.

And what if Rooney's injured? Will Hernandez step up (that is if he even stays)? Di Maria's on a plane to Paris and Pedro will probably come in so it'll be interesting how that plays out. However if they do manage to land someone like Cavani in part exchange with Di Maria I'd agree with you. Di Maria may be the butt of jokes right now but let's not forget he still managed 10 assists in the league (joint 3rd highest) and will be a blow to them.

I'm not calling them doubtless favourites but they are definitely up there. They don't need amazing reinforcements either. Up front will be more of depth signing, in defence they'll have to make a pretty big signing but they're still very decent there... They have a very, very good squad.

That's more reasonable but my original reply was to Choulo who said they're favourites, no two ways about it.

If you think about it, out of the 4 teams, is United team better than any of them?

United's midfield can destroy any team and their attack is certainly better than ours or any other team but their defense is just woeful. so, hard to choose

Dunno why people on this board underestimate United's potential for this season so much. They have a cracking line-up.

United, City and Arsenal are all title candidates without a doubt.

They have a cracking line up but they don't have any chemistry or balance in the team. They keep buying new players, this really hurts the understanding between those players. And for the balance part, they have a great midfield and attack but so poor defence. He buys midfields and strikers and then moans the absence of any good defenders in the team. why did he go out and buy depay when they had young,valencia,di maria, mata. He buys so many CM's and buys shit defenders, then he gets frustrated with the defenders and starts using his midfielders as defenders . Don't even ask me what Van Gaal was thinking when he played Di Maria in attack and Rooney in midfield

So the point is that Van Gaal just goes out and buys great players without even a thought of what the team is lacking (except Schinederlin, great signing)

No no no no no

Valencia-Jones-Smalling-Rojo/Blind/Shaw is not better than Iva-Cahill-Terry-Azpi, and once you put Zouma in our back line improves further. If there's one area where we are truly world class, it is defence. Even if Ivanovic tries his hardest to remove that reputation. We might as well invert our right side and play Cuad/Willian as an RB and Iva as an RW...

I can see why Jose likes him, though. He does benefit the team offensively.

United have "Argentina NT syndrome" - ie brilliant attack, awful defense.

No no no no no

Valencia-Jones-Smalling-Rojo/Blind/Shaw is not better than Iva-Cahill-Terry-Azpi, and once you put Zouma in our back line improves further. If there's one area where we are truly world class, it is defence. Even if Ivanovic tries his hardest to remove that reputation. We might as well invert our right side and play Cuad/Willian as an RB and Iva as an RW...

I can see why Jose likes him, though. He does benefit the team offensively.

United have "Argentina NT syndrome" - ie brilliant attack, awful defense.

Our defense is not world class. Not even close. Cahill is an average CB, Zouma still has a lot to learn and a lot of experience to earn. Iva is a CB who thinks he's a ST playing at RB. JT is limited by his lack of pace and that is only emphasized each year. The only world class defender we have at the moment is Azpi.

United's defense lacks experience and world class players but they are all good, physically strong defenders with technical ability.

Our defense looks a lot better than it actually is because our midfielders have more defensive duties than most teams.