Fernando Torres

2015:

Petr Čech

Gregory van der Wiel - Gary Cahill - David Luiz - Ryan Bertrand

Ramires - John Obi Mikel

Hulk - Juan Mata - Eden Hazard

Romelu Lukaku

No big changes :D

Seems reasonable. But I would definitely expect Courtois to replace Cech by then.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because I think he can emulate Franz Beckenbauer.

The sweeper must always be "the last player" in defense (after the goalkeeper, of course). His job is to close down gaps left by other defenders. The libero roams laterally, a few meters behind the last line of fullbacks. He must try not to sway too far towards the flanks. The sweeper analyzes the development of plays, anticipates where open angles and passing lanes are forming and make quick decisions about dealing with them. Because they never mark enemy attackers, sweepers can move a great deal forward when their team is in possession of the ball. This frequently finds the enemy defense unprepared as an unmarked player is unexpectedly introduced to the play. Overall, the sweeper should be very perceptive (usually experienced) with good ball handling skills and confidence.

http://expertfootbal...g/positions.php

Fair point..but would the sweeper fit into Chelsea's tactics...it's not like we play with a 3-man or 5-man defence.

Fair point..but would the sweeper fit into Chelsea's tactics...it's not like we play with a 3-man or 5-man defence.

Everytime Luiz brings the ball forward with one of his runs/dribbles I stop breathing.

CF

AM - AM

DM - CM

LB - CB - SW - CB - RB

GK

Cech

David Luiz

Ashley Cole - Gary Cahill - John Terry - Branislav Ivanovic

Frank Lampard - Jon Obi Mikel

Juan Mata - Eden Hazard

Fernando Torres

Why not?

Because no one has played with a sweeper snince the early 90s. It only works when the oposition does not have a midfield and just lumps balls froward from the defense .

Because no one has played with a sweeper snince the early 90s. It only works when the oposition does not have a midfield and just lumps balls froward from the defense .

And just how many EPL teams do that? Quite a lot. It wouldn't work in Europe, but it would mop the floor with Liverpool.

And just how many EPL teams do that? Quite a lot. It wouldn't work in Europe, but it would mop the floor with Liverpool.

But strikers' movement has changed massively in the last 20 years which is why everyone stopped using a sweeper in the first place. With no offside line, we're bound to give away at least a couple of breakaways in each match. It's too dangerous imo.

But strikers' movement has changed massively in the last 20 years which is why everyone stopped using a sweeper in the first place. With no offside line, we're bound to give away at least a couple of breakaways in each match. It's too dangerous imo.

Good point I forgot the offside rule was changed in the 90s.

I was thinking something along the lines of -

Courtois

Lahm, Cahill, Luiz, Bertrand

Schweinsteiger, Mikel

Ronaldo, Mata, Messi

Neymar

I'm sure we could get most of them on a free by around 2026, assuming they're still playing, or for just a few £million.

(No one said how far into the future, so this is my future team!)

What does future mean? Anything we want it to? Ill just post the ideas for 12/13, or better yet, ill post what i think could happen albeit may not be realistic in may eyes for several reasons.

abCOKG0aD.jpg

Ill have to look more at modric to see if my assertion would be a good one. Hopefully torres does well and wins his spot, or else gets replaced like a scrub, by a goal scoring phenom.

Debuchy aint the youngest rb out there but if you want what may be considered an improvement, @ 27 debuchy is a good well rounded rb.

Future team is our team in few years, not next season.

Formation 4:2:3:1

Courtois - replacement for Cech, looking good so far

Azpi -he is not here yet, but I hope soon he will. Eventualy he will play in Spain 11 and he is great both, defence and attack

Luiz- already here

Cahill - probably captain, he will be the oldest in squad

Bertrand - next Cole I think

Mikel- at his best age (28 or sth), he will be destructor in midfield

De Bruyne - new Lampard, if he evolves. The creativity and defence

Hazard, Mata - playmakers for Chelsea

new winger (Hulk, Dzagoev, Ayew,...) - we need to buy someone on this position, maybe even Marin

Lukaku/Sturridge - power in attack, hope they will both be class

---

Josh, Ramires, Kane, Piazon, Hutch, Kalas (Cahill replacement), Romeu (Mikels replacement)

I just wonder if we have Mata, Hulk and Hazard in attack, how and when will player like Piazon get a chance to play regulary. At age of 25, when Mata and Hazard will be older, will be to late...