Transition

warnie_666

It's easy to apply a generalised 'peak' age for players but the fact is Terry peaked 6 years ago and has been on a steady decline for the last couple of years.

I think Alex has been an unsung hero for us but his head was turned of talk moving to Juventus in the summer and he hasn't been the same either.

David Luiz has a lot of defensive flaws but he also brings a lot to the team, and his enthusiasm and determination is unquestionable which is what I want to see within a players game, even if they're having a shocker.

The problem for Luiz is he has nobody around him at this present time, with the exception perhaps of Ivanovic, who is playing anywhere near the top of their game. This makes it so difficult for Luiz to play his own natural game.

And if Luiz is to play midfield, is this at the detriment of Romeu who should be given an extended run in the side now.

How about Romeu, Luiz and Mierlies as the midfield 3??....quick, short, decisive passes of the ball, all with good engines and body strength in the tackle....

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the press keep banging on about what we sacked Scolari for I thought I would do some analysis (courtesy of wikipedia).

Scolari AVB

First 18 games win % = 67 First 18 games win % = 61

Next 13 games win % = 31 Next 13 games win % =????

Basically to compare them both over the same period, Avb needs another 13 games, he also needs to gain a win % of 38 in this period to have a better record than Scolari....If he does not hit around 50%, only then do I think we can have serious complaints against his Chelsea work....KTBFFH

"At the moment we dont have the horses for courses. "

- so why in the hell he is trying to force his expansive and exuberant football ?

Well what would be the point of paying £13m to release Villas-Boas from his contract if you just want us to play the same boring rubbish we have played for the last 5 years? We could just get any old joe from Exeter or Hartlepool or whatever and get them to play the way we did under Scolari, Grant and Ancelotti. Abramovich went for Villas-Boas because under him Porto played pretty, winning football. So what does he tell Villas Boas on his first day at Cobham? Certainly not 'abandon your successful, pretty football so that we can see the same old shit from Malouda, Mikel and Anelka week in week out'. Abramovich wants attractive football and with the right players this will work. The thing is, AVB want 'Barcelona-like' players who can pass a football and unfortunately for him he inherited some absolute crap to try and work his footballing philosophy with. Once AVB gets the opportunity to bring in players who can pass a football we should be able to see his style of football proving successful.

As the press keep banging on about what we sacked Scolari for I thought I would do some analysis (courtesy of wikipedia).

Scolari AVB

First 18 games win % = 67 First 18 games win % = 61

Next 13 games win % = 31 Next 13 games win % =????

Basically to compare them both over the same period, Avb needs another 13 games, he also needs to gain a win % of 38 in this period to have a better record than Scolari....If he does not hit around 50%, only then do I think we can have serious complaints against his Chelsea work....KTBFFH

Those stats are irrelevant. Scolari took over a team that had come within an inch of being European champions. AVB has a bunch of misfits.

Those stats are irrelevant. Scolari took over a team that had come within an inch of being European champions. AVB has a bunch of misfits.

I know, Scolari inherited at much better squad at thier peak. What I'm trying to say is that AVB has a similar record already and a much more difficult job....

Why is it that when mentioned about transition, everyone talks about players. Transition could also be from one management to another. We have a new management and backroom staff. New manager, asst. Manager, coach, opposition scout in a new league. The new manager needs time to enforce his ideology on the squad. And the fact that he has got a load of old legs doesn't help much. If anyone expected him to turn on the style in first few months I'd say you are naive. He did show his tactical superioryi at QPR and Everton

I don't know if it bs or not but another forum I follow said they were watching on the Al-Jazeera feed and Jamie Redknapp was talking pre-game. He said the older players, and specifically named Terry, Lampard, and Drogba, didn't buy into AVB's philosophy. I hope it's bs because AVB has a tough enough job on his hands without player power trying to take over.

Guys remember we seem to struggle every year during this time. Also I think its time that the players who seem to influence others, e.g. Lampard, Drogba and Terry, should leave. They are past their best anyway. I thank them for everything but its time to go.

I don't know if it bs or not but another forum I follow said they were watching on the Al-Jazeera feed and Jamie Redknapp was talking pre-game. He said the older players, and specifically named Terry, Lampard, and Drogba, didn't buy into AVB's philosophy. I hope it's bs because AVB has a tough enough job on his hands without player power trying to take over.

if you read Redknapps article on Sky sports he says that the reason we need to get rid of those players (Terry, Lampard and Drogba), is because they worked under AVB as a scout and do not respect him as a manager

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,25212,18932_7314237,00.html

if you read Redknapps article on Sky sports he says that the reason we need to get rid of those players (Terry, Lampard and Drogba), is because they worked under AVB as a scout and do not respect him as a manager

http://www.skysports...7314237,00.html

Its an interesting point , they may not see him as the gaffa but as part of Jose's coaching staff.

Something will have to give if we keep under performing.

Oh the dreaded player power situation. If it keeps happening for every manager since Mourinho, maybe it's time to stop placating the players...RA really needs to give his managers a steel rod of support or some players will do as they please. Can't imagine anyone would even look sideways at Ferguson. Guardiola gets the odd rebel or two and Barca sends them away.

We all know Fergie wouldn't put up with it. He let Beckham, Ronaldo (although he got a ton of $$ for him), Keane, etc. go. It's a given that Fergie is in charge and if you don't like it don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Then there seems to be Chelsea, if you don't like it go tell Roman. I know Roman is pretty quiet and secretive so I'm having a hard time seeing this Russian gazillionaire being open to the whining, bitching, complaining of superstars. What happened to the old days of Russia where you dissented and were shipped off to Siberia. Seems that only applies to Chelsea managers not players.

What happened to the old days of Russia where you dissented and were shipped off to Siberia. Seems that only applies to Chelsea managers not players.

LMAO as you said that I was imagining Kalou and few others all in fur freezing their asses in Siberia with the depressive music full of sorrow in the background :D

What is it about our players and Mourinho? Can't they just get over it and get on with it like men or are we stuck with players who think they are bigger than the management and the club whining since 2007 that they don't have 'the special one' managing them. If there is one thing that really pisses me off about this crop of players its the way they feel that they are bigger than the club and that they almost need Jose to make them play well. The effort under Mourinho from some current players was more than twice what it was under Grant and Scolari and some of them are not professional enough to deal with the fact that Mourinho is gone.

If what is said about players not accepting AVB because he 'was only a scout' under Mourinho then that makes me sick. How disrespectful and arrogant to some of them want to be?

Oh the dreaded player power situation. If it keeps happening for every manager since Mourinho, maybe it's time to stop placating the players...RA really needs to give his managers a steel rod of support or some players will do as they please. Can't imagine anyone would even look sideways at Ferguson. Guardiola gets the odd rebel or two and Barca sends them away.

Agree with this. AVB needs to show that players like Terry, Lampard & Drogba are not above the club. In a way I will be glad when the players from the days of Jose have moved on & we can finally move on as a club. It feels like Jose still has a hold over the team in some way. AVB needs to build his own team & needs to have the balls to sell players that have been a big part of the club in the past 7 years or so.

Its an interesting point , they may not see him as the gaffa but as part of Jose's coaching staff.

Something will have to give if we keep under performing.

Then they need to be professional about it,get over that stage and quickly realise he is the Manager! Seeing him as anything else isnt exactly gana make matters better or change things..like it or not he is now manager