Juan Mata

Severinb

No signing can overshadow what Mata did for us last season.I am really glad we have and hope he stays here forever.

Nah. Not sure about that. Mata did great for a first season in English football. However, the latter stages of the season showed, he is by far no lamps, as he got missing in the big games. that was due to our defensive style but also because he is not the athlete he should be as an EPL-player. I was standing KO as he fucked up another penalty in the shoot-out in Munich and delivered nothing against Barcelona. Dont get me wrong he is a great player and will improve to become one of the best in the world but he is just no yet what he is hyped to be. His right foot is a joke and he is slow as a tractor, i swear I would beat him over any of 35, 50, 75, 100 or 200m distances. He aint got the acceleration of a real athlete and any defender he has outplayed with his sublime skills will catch up with him a sec later.

For those reasons, there's no way he'll become a Silva or an Iniesta, he'll probably never score a slalom-dribbling solo golazo. On the other hand he is a better crosser and long range shooter than both, so he should rely on those to impose himself on a game. Yeah, and maybe spent some hours in the gym and have a decent meal or two...

Nah. Not sure about that. Mata did great for a first season in English football. However, the latter stages of the season showed, he is by far no lamps, as he got missing in the big games. that was due to our defensive style but also because he is not the athlete he should be as an EPL-player. I was standing KO as he fucked up another penalty in the shoot-out in Munich and delivered nothing against Barcelona. Dont get me wrong he is a great player and will improve to become one of the best in the world but he is just no yet what he is hyped to be. His right foot is a joke and he is slow as a tractor, i swear I would beat him over any of 35, 50, 75, 100 or 200m distances. He aint got the acceleration of a real athlete and any defender he has outplayed with his sublime skills will catch up with him a sec later.

For those reasons, there's no way he'll become a Silva or an Iniesta, he'll probably never score a slalom-dribbling solo golazo. On the other hand he is a better crosser and long range shooter than both, so he should rely on those to impose himself on a game. Yeah, and maybe spent some hours in the gym and have a decent meal or two...

Pffffttt Playa please.. I would like to see any other player try and play as many games as Mata did in their first season and have as big as impact as he did in the English Premier League. How could you possibly say that ''there's no way he'll become a Silva'' when Silva's legs went missing in the latter stages of the season just like Mata after he had been run into the ground having to play practically every game for City. He might not have the pace but he doesn't need it with his vision and composure, It is utterly preposterous to degrade Mata's contribution to last season because he didn't turn up against Barcelona in which we basically parked a jumbo jet in front of the goal and scored on lucky counters which of course everybody knows Mata isn't exactly a defensive player. Considering Juan Mata assisted 13 English Premier League goals in a more defensive minded team compared to Silva's 15 playing in a free flowing attack minded City i really can't see where you get your logic from!

His weakness seems to be his stamina and pace. Although he can do little about the latter, I have noticed that Mata was much better under AVB who used to always sub him in the last 20 mins or so of the game (to a lot of stick I might add). That might be the key to keeping Juan in form. Unfortunately I don't see him starting the season as he did last year because with the Euros and Olympics he literally has not had a break.

On another point, Mata is one of the best players in the league, but let's not let his awesome skills stop us from seeing his weaknesses.

Why was Mata so tired under RDM? Our biggest games were played against better opponents such as Barcelona and Bayern. We were playing very defensive and that is the reason why he looked so tired. Players from Primera aren't suited to defensive tactics, they like to have a ball all the time in possesion that is why he was the best player under AVB. We won't be playing defensive next season with new players like Hazard, Marin, KDB, etc., simply because they can't play like that.

EDIT: Silva was shit since January/February and that is they key reason City strugled a lot during last games.

Interesting stat comparision between Silva's and Mata's first season in premier league.

309404_346764998733703_1384622986_n.jpg

At the beginning, Silva's stats totally overwhelm those of Mata's. Then you take a look @ Crosses. I thought Silva would dominate that one. Wrong!!! Mata's numbers jump off the page.

“There are a lot of stereotypes about footballers, and sometimes the players themselves feel like they need to follow certain patterns. It’s always more of the same, everyone’s looking for fame, money, cars, women. But like in any other profession, it’d be a big mistake to generalize. Juan is the complete opposite of that stereotype. That’s why I liked him instantly and became friends with him in the national team. He’s an extremely normal person, very calm and quiet. He likes to spend time with his friends, and even more so with his family. He likes going out for a cup of coffee, going to the movies, staying home, stuff I love to do as well and that fortunately we get the chance to do together in London. Whatever he needs, he knows I’m here for him, he’s got me. I told him to come because I knew this was the place for him, and he’s found a friend in me.”

- Fernando Torres

Damn dude where did you find that quote?? This is freakin' awesome!!!

I think Mata could be key for Torres this year. I know they were playing together last year, but it was first season, and lot of games, Didi played ahead of Torres.

About Mata; he had bunch of 'old men' around and to still complete all those stats in first year is unbelievable. This season, he will/should be even better. Im no surprised that guy was tired after 60 games in first PL season.

Im just bit confused, when he was playing for Valencia, he was pretty pacey and quick, wasnt he

Different league mate, I read that Mata ran a distance that nearly equaled a Marathon in the semi final against Spurs in the FA Cup (I think), so he is really quick. Its fair to say he was very tired at the end of the season.

If it nearly equalled, it must have been 40+ km in 90 minutes. The world record for the marathon is 2 hours, 3 minutes.

Unless Juan is hiding some East African heritage and happens to be the greatest runner of all time, its impossible.