Chelsea 3-1 Norwich

James

What have you made of the manager and his performance so far?

I'm not greatly enamoured so far I have to say. Trying to keep some perspective because it is still very early to judge him with conviction. No great changes so far, I can see glimpses of his philosophy but not it's full effect because this squad is just so stagnant and in limbo. Have to say he uses his subs way better than Carlo, though let's be fair, it's not very difficult to improve upon what Carlo served up in that regard.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not greatly enamoured so far I have to say. Trying to keep some perspective because it is still very early to judge him with conviction. No great changes so far, I can see glimpses of his philosophy but not it's full effect because this squad is just so stagnant and in limbo. Have to say he uses his subs way better than Carlo, though let's be fair, it's not very difficult to improve upon what Carlo served up in that regard.

:goodpost:

A win is a win...

But as I've said earlier I'm still worried about the CF position..

If we don't have at least one CF scoring on a regular basis, this season is going to be a let-down ...I'm not talking of a 30 goal per season or something, just about consistent scoring

Now that Didier's out, its clear Torres is going to get more game-time....Not much end-product from him today, but I hope the fact that he quickly latched onto that cross from Mata is a sign of things to come...

I hope Sturridge can go on a good run...right now I've pinned my hopes on him

Lukaku looks promising...good positioning, decent link-up play and looked like a goal-threat...Has to improve on technique though, which doesn't look as refined as Didier's.

As for the mid-field I still can't understand why Josh doesn't get at least 5 mins on the pitch... He hasn't gone on loan so I hope he gets time in the coming games

Interesting thing is that mata did not play as winger as I saw. He played as an advanced midfielder. That might mean that we are no longer after modric but another winger maybe.

I think that's what's happening as well, and I was kind of hoping it would happen. Right now, with Lampard's decline, we have no one to provide that extra attacking force and creativity in our three-man midfield (other than maybe Mikel with his occasional long balls and Ramires with his surging runs). Mata is a great winger, but if he just stayed on the left flank, our midfield and attack would be left disjointed. I think this could actually be better than if we got Modric as Mata's attacking ability is better. But it also means we need another winger as you pointed out and that's probably why AVB wants Perreira.

What we have to remember is the Andre affect wont go stright there, did people expect us to be playing like Barca str8 away?

The changes are slowly coming into affect but it will not happen overnight, patience is a virtue in this project.

A win is a win...

But as I've said earlier I'm still worried about the CF position..

If we don't have at least one CF scoring on a regular basis, this season is going to be a let-down ...I'm not talking of a 30 goal per season or something, just about consistent scoring

Now that Didier's out, its clear Torres is going to get more game-time....Not much end-product from him today, but I hope the fact that he quickly latched onto that cross from Mata is a sign of things to come...

I hope Sturridge can go on a good run...right now I've pinned my hopes on him

Lukaku looks promising...good positioning, decent link-up play and looked like a goal-threat...Has to improve on technique though, which doesn't look as refined as Didier's.

As for the mid-field I still can't understand why Josh doesn't get at least 5 mins on the pitch... He hasn't gone on loan so I hope he gets time in the coming games

We didn't have a regular scoring CF in Jose's first season and look what happened there.

I'm worried about our defending. Very poor against a promoted side and that is a concern. :unsure:

Bane was having problems to close down and clear after Bosingwa who still needs to be much better defensively and Terry was under a lot of pressure which lead to mistakes.

Hope Didier is fine.

I agree with some of your assertion particularly the highlighted part. How does he expect his philosophy to be implemented and translated on the pitch with virtually the same players as last season. They lack movement and quality as the key players are old and sharply in decline. For that reason, a huge slice of the blame must be credited to the manager who fails to recognise the deficiency and stumbling block in the team that is glaring to every observant. Until he changes his non adventurous and predictable approach to team selection. nothing will change as you cannot teach an old dog, new trick. We saw how mata and Lukaku changed the dynamics of the game when they came on and you wouldn't confidently bet your mortgage on AVB starting them in the next match. Let's see if he has the balls to drop under-performing players like Lampard, Torres, Drogba and Malouda

What we have to remember is the Andre affect wont go stright there, did people expect us to be playing like Barca str8 away?

The changes are slowly coming into affect but it will not happen overnight, patience is a virtue in this project.

I haven't noticed any change to our style of play and team selection from last season. . . .not even a slight change

We didn't have a regular scoring CF in Jose's first season and look what happened there.

That was Jose's first season....

Times have changed since then... If AVB can pull off something like that, by hardly losing any number of games, and getting max points then its cool...

But its a tougher league than in 04-05, and the last two years have shown that...Goals could be important when we have to compete with the Mancs