Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

3 minutes ago, CHOULO19 said:

That his style of play is not at all suited to playing next to another striker. Lukaku doesn't play well with his back to goal, he moves to create chances for himself, not space for his teammates and his link up play is rather weak. 

If it were up to me, I'd take Diego and, by what little I've seen of him, even Batshuayi just in front of Hazard in a two man strike force. 

And what part of the preseason so far have you seen us utilizing our strikers with their backs to goal? Everything I've seen had our strikers playing off the shoulders of defenders looking to get in behind. That part of Lukaku's game is undeniable, he is an absolute nightmare in this instance. 

I will also agree his link up is poor but if the scenario of having Lukaku and Costa marauding in and around the 18 while being serviced by Hazard, Cesc and Willian isn't appealing I can't be sure what you guys are looking for from our 4-2-4 system? 

He's homegrown, a Chelsea supporter, he's scored a boatload of goals already.... What striker in world football can say that they've scored 50 premier league goals before turning 23? Have you seen the going rate for strikers these days? Morata scored 9 goals last year and Real Madrid want 75m for him.... LOL. 

Its not the perfect scenario but given our already shaky association status and Costa's injury woes, coupled with our inability to score last year I'm finding it hard to have a problem with Costa and Lukaku with Michy coming off the bench. 

12 minutes ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

In a perfect world this is true, you'd want a more technically gifted partner up front. I'll leave it right there though, I still think a Costa/Lukaku partnership would cause all sorts of problems in the prem.

So then why are we paying £70m to try fitting a square peg into a round hole?

24 minutes ago, Belgiannutt said:

Would be an absolute disaster as we'd be obligated to start both as neither one of them would be happy sitting on the bench.

The pairing just doesn't work. Both are too similar. Both need a partner that can cover their poor link up play.

I love the lad ever since he joined us but hes never been pushed since hes been here. Hes had it easy so hes been happy not pushing himself for the 90 mins (like Eden too)  So it would be interesting to see if he takes up the challenge and be a team player or spit out his dummy and sulk.

59 minutes ago, Symbol123 said:

So then why are we paying £70m to try fitting a square peg into a round hole?

For a number of reasons. First there is more than one way to skin a cat. Second he adds to our association trained pool and is a proven goalscorer. Where Lukaku is poor in the build up and has a poor first touch, he is very good in the air and plays off the shoulders of defenders extremely well. I'm of the belief that the width we are playing with will provide more gaps in the back for Costa AND Lukaku to exploit.

This is what we saw last year

1483582_Chelsea.jpg

Absolutely no width leaving Costa marked by two defenders and Hazard basically lost on the left trying to cut inside to a crowded midfield.

1483586_Chelsea.jpg

In this system when we're in possession our wingers hug the touchline and pull defenders away from the middle of the pitch, thus providing more space in the channels for Lukaku and Costa to exploit. Thats what I've noted in the preseason and LOVED about the two striker system. A system where if you have a guy who is good in the air(Lukaku) and a guy who is a goal poacher(Costa) can co-exist mainly because they don't like to occupy the same space and who will be matched up 1 v 1 with most defenders. In my head, which doesn't really account for much in the grander scheme of things, this can be very dangerous. 

If they double up on Hazard with a RB and a winger you leave Costa 1v1. If you tell the RB to stay home and help crowd out our strikers you leave Hazard 1v1 with a winger....:cig:

If you re-position one of your two holding midfielders to deal with one of our strikers it leaves more space and time for Fabregas to do what he does best....

35 minutes ago, CHOULO19 said:

If it were up to me, I'd take Diego and, by what little I've seen of him, even Batshuayi just in front of Hazard in a two man strike force. 

So Hazard as 1 of the 2 strikers? then who plays LW?

We need Hazard from the wing, from the attaking midffeld area, we dont have other options but him.

2 minutes ago, nadavTKL said:

So Hazard as 1 of the 2 strikers? then who plays LW?

We need Hazard from the wing, from the attaking midffeld area, we dont have other options but him.

Hazard can be played there from time to time. There will be situations where he can exploit defenses 

Chelsea are ready to offer a massive £65 million to bring Romelu Lukaku back to Stamford Bridge, according to the Mail. The Blues will also chuck Loic Remy into the mix, though the English outlet reports that the Toffees are to stubbornly hold out for £75m.

Nobody seems to remember the last and a certain individual who had 'passion' for us and ended up putting us back a few years and coaching one of our biggest rivals? 

Please. Passion shouldn't be considered a sole reason to have someone in the team. Lukaku is not good enough for us and even if he is, that means we're not as good as we think of ourselves. 

Nobody seems to remember the last and a certain individual who had 'passion' for us and ended up putting us back a few years and coaching one of our biggest rivals? 

Please. Passion shouldn't be considered a sole reason to have someone in the team. Lukaku is not good enough for us and even if he is, that means we're not as good as we think of ourselves. 

Can you show me where anyone has said passion is the sole reason to have someone in the team?