Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

How he performs from now on will define him as a player as little disappontments like this make great players. Look at Bayern they came back stronger after losing to us. Look at drogba he let the team down in Moscow but he came back a stronger player, although I think Mou made a mistake giving him the last penalty it was good experience for him

Wouldn't know, I'm not a psychologist. They both have (had in Kakuta's case) similar roles (reputations/expectancy) in the team at the time in which the events took place.

Kakuta was always overrated in my opinion. He looked flashy at the beginning, great long shots, wanted to prove a point. But he had all the time in the world to come back and he just didn't. We sent him on loan to Bolton, Fulham hell didn't we even send him to an affiliate? No matter what he just wouldn't impress.

Lukaku is miles ahead of Kakuta in my opinion, I don't think the league cup affected Kakuta I just don't think Kakuta was ever going to be world class to begin with.

You were practically campaiging against the Cavani signing in the summer so Lukaku got a chance, now you want Lukaku to be shipped out on loan to give time to one off the worst players in our history? :lol:

Jesus fuking christ.

You mad?

I was happy with him staying here until the Eto'o signing.

Send him out on loan for another year of experience.

Sammy scored 37 goals and added another 15 assists next year. Torres is brilliant backup, don't see him getting enough minutes if he stays.

You mad?

I was happy with him staying here until the Eto'o signing.

Send him out on loan for another year of experience.

Sammy scored 37 goals and added another 15 assists next year. Torres is brilliant backup, don't see him getting enough minutes if he stays.

No, he will learn more playing few games as a Chelsea player, than playing a entire season as a West Browinch player. Being a player in a top european club is about felling no pressure, and getting to know the environment and a manager's philosophy.

I feel really sorry for him. It broke my heart... especially his reaction.

I have a few doubts about him - I don't think he's what that most people in the thread (or the forum) makes him out to be, I don't see a lot of similarities between him and Didier (I think they're different kind of strikers) and I think he should continue to be benched most matches and I defend Torres being subbed (in, as Eto'o will clearly be the starter) more often than him at first. Meaning that I believe (and support the idea) he won't be listed in the bench in a few matches in the next months.

It has nothing to do with tonight's penalty - although that does show his age. I can't crucify a boy for crumbling under such astonishing pressure, but I sort of agree with someone who said it's a double standard. So he's ready to be our lead striker - as most suggested - but he isn't ready to take a penalty in a final. Uhh... I sort of see where the inconsistency of stating both things is. Which doesn't change my opinion about him and the opportunities he should be given. That penalty just proved what I've thought all along: he's not emotionally ready. I'm not even sure he's technically ready to be honest (the few doubts about him I have) so why not have him conjure both things slowly, in a healthy progress that will allow him to play a few cup matches as a starter, but mainly being a super sub in maybe 40-60% of our matches?

Why the rush? The rush could be his pitfall - as proved today. He shouldn't have taken the penalty. I've read some of you claiming he was the one who called upon himself to be part of the list. If that's the case I don't know if I blame Mourinho more - as he should be the one to know best - or if Lukaku shares the blame I put on Mourinho because he shouldn't take responsibilities he isn't ready to take. Taking a penalty in a final isn't how he'll pave his way into the starting XI or even become a better option to Mourinho than Torres and if that was what he had in mind when he supposedly asked to be part of the list it's yet another factor that proves he's not ready.

So for me - regardless of the penalty - our options in the attack are 1) Eto'o - in the starting XI; 2) Torres as the one being subbed; 3) Lukaku for less important matches and some subs. The moment he starts showing he's technically and emotionally better than Torres than he takes position #2. That's how it works under Mourinho. It's about merid and hard work. Torres was really good today, but we all know he doesn't necessarily repeat that consecutively anymore. So Lukaku may even have more chances when Torres starts the downward.

I dont like how people are overprotecting Lukaku. Not in the slightest. But I dont like the other end of the story either, in which people are overreacting and calling him names for absolutely no justifiable reason!

Of course we shouldnt crucify him for one mistake, but we also shouldnt act like he didnt cost us a trophy and it is all super fine. He must learn from this!

Telling Romelu to fuck off and saying he did nothing wrong and using his age as an excuse are just as stupid, IMO. It is definitely not the end of the world, but it was also a very bad attempt. A player that aspires to be what he wants to, cant have shut a shocker like he did yesterday. It is something he will have to work on.

I hate how arseholes on the internet (I dont mean here in the forum) saying he must be loaned or whatever, but I also hate those who try to hide and sweep under the carpet his horrible penalty...

The best we can do is support Lukaku so he can overcome it (as he was deeply hurted after missing the penalty). However, I wonder if the reaction would have been just as positive if Oscar or Schurrle had done the same thing...

People saying why did he take pen? well because all we had left was him, Mikel and the defenders. He scored many at WBA also, so it was just a matter of him choking on a big stage - something that can happen to anyone.

For example - Drogba has missed 2 decisive pens in Afcon finals.

People saying why did he take pen? well because all we had left was him, Mikel and the defenders. He scored many at WBA also, so it was just a matter of him choking on a big stage - something that can happen to anyone.

Yeah only Cech, Ivan, Cahill, Terry, Mikel left to take the pens so obviously Lukaku is the best option there, bar Cahill maybe.

It seems people are complaining about the decisions to leave him as the last kick.

It seems people are complaining about the decisions to leave him as the last kick.

Some managers like to have a good penalty taker as the 5th, but some go with their best takers first, and that's what Mourinho did.. Lukaku was the best option left, but couldn't handle the pressure.

He will be devastated, but he'll pick himself up and carry on. Everyone makes mistakes, and at least this was 'only' the Supercup.