Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

Are you kidding? The guy won 2 European prizes and took his team to the CL.

Fulham would be an insult. No offence.

That's not my view, but other's have said in the last few months that he should be loaned out to the PL to "adapt" to the league, i have been saying for months that next summer is decision time. I wouldn't have regarded it as a 'fantasy' if it was my wish.

I think people care way too much about this. Courtois looks like an excellent young keeper, but keepers are easily the easiest and cheapest position to find. It's not as if we sold Courtois, we'd have nobody, we'd just go out and buy another quality keeper. For me, I'd keep him unless some time offered 25M pounds or more then you just have to sell and we can stick with Cech for another year or two and then buy some in-form keeper for a lot less money. If we do bring back Courtois, we should sell Cech, but I'd be surprised if we got more than 5M or him.

I don't think people realize how cheap keepers are. Neuer was 15M pounds and the third most expensive keeper in history., That was 2011. Lloris was 10-15M Euros last season. Both were young and considered world class keepers at the time.

I think people care way too much about this. Courtois looks like an excellent young keeper, but keepers are easily the easiest and cheapest position to find. It's not as if we sold Courtois, we'd have nobody, we'd just go out and buy another quality keeper. .

If that was so easy, i think Fergie would have took quicker than 6 years to find an adequate replacement for Schmeichel.

If that was so easy, i think Fergie would have took quicker than 6 years to find an adequate replacement for Schmeichel.

You're using an outlier and acting as if that is the norm. Most teams have no trouble finding replacements. Not to mention, as English Freak does, that this was 15 years ago. My other point is this. In those 6 years after Schmeichel, ManU won 3 Premier League titles. So while they struggled to replace Schmeichel, they were still the best team in England over that period. That's hardly struggling. You can win in football with a less than elite goalie.

You can win in football with a less than elite goalie.

True, although I think you said it best when you suggested...

You're using an outlier and acting as if that is the norm.

Cech was the key player in our greatest ever success. Conversely Arsenal's failure to sufficiently replace David Seaman led to them starting with Lehmann in goal in the CL Final with Barca....an extreme example perhaps but I think we've become a little spoilt with having someone like Cech between the sticks for so long.

Not only is Courtois technically very good, he's also had an excellent (perhaps perfect?) education at such a young age. Already a European champion and an international keeper, he's also faced Barcelona and Real Madrid on numerous occasions.

Compare that to the other 'bright young thing' whose name is floated about - Ter Stegen. Very much back-up for Germany, he has won fuck all and never even competed on the European stage. Courtois has the talent, the pedigree and we already own him. Finding someone else similar in the next decade is not going to be an easy task.

Thibaut and Cech are both excellent keepers. The difference is that Cech is our "Get out of jail free" card now, while Courtois, may not be that good at the moment, can be our keeper for more than 10 years.

So it's never going to be an easy decision. It's a choice between short-term success and long term-success.

Although Valdez is decent, he's not world class in my eyes. Barca might be the only exception to this rule.

Still, he is good enough. Those who think, as I read here, any team may win CL, PL the top competitions ought to give up on football, I feel.

Although Valdez is decent, he's not world class in my eyes. Barca might be the only exception to this rule.

To be fair, any solid keeper would look good playing for Barcelona.

Valdes is decent...but if he was playing for a weaker club with no world-class players, would he be capable of making constant saves?

I don't see a reason why Cech couldn't go on for 10 more years. He's that good. Injury can happen to Courtois, just like it can happen to Petr.

I'm not worried at all, even if he goes to Barca we can cash in and go for Begovic who is one of the best in the best league in the world.

Valdes is decent...but if he was playing for a weaker club with no world-class players, would he be capable of making constant saves?

If...?

That´s why Barca wants Courtois, next season.

This I disagree....

Whoever becomes Barca number1, will have to live with being the least heralded player in the media's eyes and have all the blame placed on their shoulders for defensive errors.

Valdes is the best keeper for barcelona, because he is so quick of his line and his distribution is great. He also stopped with the blundering from a couple of years ago. As for Courtois, I think he will probably stay in spain, since he is been living there for 3 years now. He also has a girlfriend there and thats a big incentive to stay put probably. Real shame for CFC tho

This I disagree....

Whoever becomes Barca number1, will have to live with being the least heralded player in the media's eyes and have all the blame placed on their shoulders for defensive errors.

AGREE and he will have the problem of keeping a high level of concentration for long periods of inactivity .. not as easy as it sounds

Can't see why so many people are so eager to move Cech out. He's just 31. That's a great football age for a keeper and the way I see it he has at least 5 more years at the very top level and why not even more - look at what Van der Sar did in United.

Not underestimating Courtois, he's a great young keeper, but I don't expect our GK situation to change anytime soon. By loaning him every year his stock keeps rising and and we should cash in on him at some point IMO.