Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

Had Rooney asked for one, he could be playing for Chelsea now.

Now, think about it, but do not be naive.

You are right that nowadays players have the power, but not so much the younger ones. Because there are too many unknowns about them. Imagine a problem like Fletcher had, which absolutely destroyed his career. Or not so drastic, something like what happened to Essien, the so common knee injuries. These type of things could really lower the ceiling of any young player since they really can't afford to lose years of development time, not to mention the long-term physical and mental consequences of such injuries/problems. Again, not to mention that some of these youngster are pretty much playing at their peak, so what you see is as good as it's going to get.

I believe Courtois still has 3 years left (until 2016) on his contract, so Chelsea could really hurt his development if he does not play nice. Malouda is a good example, at the other end of the (age) spectrum: he was unflushable, and Chelsea said fine, we don't care, but we won't waste time with you.

The best case scenario is that he returns to the club come next season and play rotation with Cech, learning as much as possible from Cech. Then, in the following season, Chelsea should - amicably - allow Cech to move and make his retirement money (bonuses and all). This is still a very possible outcome.

BTW, goalkeeper aren't valued that highly, even the very promising ones. The deals just involve a lot less money.

You are right that nowadays players have the power, but not so much the younger ones. Because there are too many unknowns about them. Imagine a problem like Fletcher had, which absolutely destroyed his career. Or not so drastic, something like what happened to Essien, the so common knee injuries. These type of things could really lower the ceiling of any young player since they really can't afford to lose years of development time, not to mention the long-term physical and mental consequences of such injuries/problems. Again, not to mention that some of these youngster are pretty much playing at their peak, so what you see is as good as it's going to get.

I believe Courtois still has 3 years left (until 2016) on his contract, so Chelsea could really hurt his development if he does not play nice. Malouda is a good example, at the other end of the (age) spectrum: he was unflushable, and Chelsea said fine, we don't care, but we won't waste time with you.

The best case scenario is that he returns to the club come next season and play rotation with Cech, learning as much as possible from Cech. Then, in the following season, Chelsea should - amicably - allow Cech to move and make his retirement money (bonuses and all). This is still a very possible outcome.

BTW, goalkeeper aren't valued that highly, even the very promising ones. The deals just involve a lot less money.

Courtois may have a couple of options. One he asks to be moved, Chelsea refuse & he runs down his contract, playing on loan, somewhere. Chelsea gets dick for him.

Secondly, Chelsea are smart & sell him, money returned.

Only a dimwit cannot see it.

Courtois may have a couple of options. One he asks to be moved, Chelsea refuse & he runs down his contract, playing on loan, somewhere. Chelsea gets dick for him.

Secondly, Chelsea are smart & sell him, money returned.

Only a dimwit cannot see it.

no! Chelsea refuses and don't let him go on loan... very common situation when a club wants to hurt a player.

Money from goalkeeper sale isn't that big of a deal spec one with only 2-3 years left of contract. And it's not like Chelsea need money...

You are missing the point that things don't happen in a vacuum. What they did with malouda for example sometimes is done to show other players that the club still have some power and can hurt someone's career. It's all part of negotiations, and sometimes the club needs to be tough or be walked over.

no! Chelsea refuses and don't let him go on loan... very common situation when a club wants to hurt a player.

Money from goalkeeper sale isn't that big of a deal spec one with only 2-3 years left of contract. And it's not like Chelsea need money...

You are missing the point that things don't happen in a vacuum. What they did with malouda for example sometimes is done to show other players that the club still have some power and can hurt someone's career. It's all part of negotiations, and sometimes the club needs to be tough or be walked over.

Chelsea cannot & won´t let him sit on the bench. The team has already a bad reputation & do not need more of it.

Malouda´s situation is incomparable here.

Chelsea cannot & won´t let him sit on the bench. The team has already a bad reputation & do not need more of it.

Malouda´s situation is incomparable here.

what are you afraid of? You keep posting about youngsters leaving and reputation... How many 21 year old players do you see starting for the very top clubs?! Especially the goalkeeper? Atletico can afford it Chelsea would never do it.

Chelsea are starting Oscar and Hazard these days; both very young. that's pretty good as top clubs go.

Chelsea don't play many youngsters at the same time for a reason. These kids won't play for Chelsea regularly, no matter what you believe. If they leave because of that then so be it. You just can't reach the later stages of CL regularly with a team filled with youngsters.

what are you afraid of? You keep posting about youngsters leaving and reputation... How many 21 year old players do you see starting for the very top clubs?! Especially the goalkeeper? Atletico can afford it Chelsea would never do it.

Chelsea are starting Oscar and Hazard these days; both very young. that's pretty good as top clubs go.

Chelsea don't play many youngsters at the same time for a reason. These kids won't play for Chelsea regularly, no matter what you believe. If they leave because of that then so be it. You just can't reach the later stages of CL regularly with a team filled with youngsters.

Youngsters are good enough to play. Have you seen Lukaku, Hazard, Oscar....lately ?

Whatever, I believe it´s irrelevant.

See you, I am watching Belgium now.

Youngsters are good enough to play. Have you seen Lukaku, Hazard, Oscar....lately ?

Whatever, I believe it´s irrelevant.

See you, I am watching Belgium now.

Sure, then stop posting if you don't want to discuss... :rolleyes:

Did you actually read teh post or just blindly quoted it while watching the match?! :) I did mention Oscar AND Hazard... :cry:

You welcome. I knew you´d come my way.

obviously It's been the other around...

I'm still waiting for that mythical other top club who don't have the same "bad reputation" (that you claim we have) for not utilizing youngsters. We consistently start matches with 2 young players (22).

Great performance for Belgium btw!

You're using an outlier and acting as if that is the norm. Most teams have no trouble finding replacements. Not to mention, as English Freak does, that this was 15 years ago. My other point is this. In those 6 years after Schmeichel, ManU won 3 Premier League titles. So while they struggled to replace Schmeichel, they were still the best team in England over that period. That's hardly struggling. You can win in football with a less than elite goalie.

They won 2 and one of them was as good as by default because Arsenal threw away a 10 point lead.

How many title winning number 1 keepers are not in the top bracket as far as keepers are concerned? Part of the reason Arsenal's season's kept derailing is because they were picking between Almunia and Fabianski, Cech's long injury in 06/07 was one of the main reason's we lost the title.

Finding keepers really isn't that easy, especially top one's, if we sold Courtois and his comments about Cech retiring early are true, then their is no guarentee at-all that we will find a top class keeper in the league of those two, i can't think of an available keeper that is.

Can't see why so many people are so eager to move Cech out. He's just 31. That's a great football age for a keeper and the way I see it he has at least 5 more years at the very top level and why not even more - look at what Van der Sar did in United.

Not underestimating Courtois, he's a great young keeper, but I don't expect our GK situation to change anytime soon. By loaning him every year his stock keeps rising and and we should cash in on him at some point IMO.

I don't disagree with the sentiment's of the article but we can't keep using Van Der Sar and assuming every keeper can go on the same.

Shay Given for example was a top keeper in his prime, but in his mid 30's went to Villa and started declining to the point now he is Villa's 3rd choice keeper behind some novice.

Van Der Sar may have gone to 40, but it doesn't mean every keeper will.

My first solution that comes in mind (might not be the best one), is to loan him to Everton. They should end up playing european football and could use reinforcement at the GK position.

That just isn't an option now, he can walk into Barcelona's team next year if he wants so that rules out the PL loan.

If he was owned by Athletico their would be a potential goalkeeping record breaking auction for him this summer, imagine if we were competing with the top clubs in Europe for his signature and we told him we were going to loan him out to the PL to adapt?

Next year is decision time, we have to play him or sell him.

That just isn't an option now, he can walk into Barcelona's team next year if he wants so that rules out the PL loan.

If he was owned by Athletico their would be a potential goalkeeping record breaking auction for him this summer, imagine if we were competing with the top clubs in Europe for his signature and we told him we were going to loan him out to the PL to adapt?

Next year is decision time, we have to play him or sell him.

Spot on!