Stamford Bridge Thread

Any news about a new stadium ? Things seem to have died down a bit on that front. I remember reading that they'll announce something over the summer but what can it really be ?

Is it really a big deal for a club to move a little bit away from its original location ? It seems like our options close to Stamford Bridge keep dwindling down. Fuck this: I don't think a club like QPR for instance would really pose much of a threat to our attendances if we move close to them or would it ? And fuck this even more: Too bad we can't do a stadium sharing plan with another London team. Wembley is a bit far away (10 miles on google maps) or that would be a nice stadium to move to.

One thing I've noticed is that in London planning councils have a lot of power. It seems if you want to build something you need to get the permission of a 100 different parties.

Fuck this: I don't think a club like QPR for instance would really pose much of a threat to our attendances if we move close to them or would it ? And fuck this even more: Too bad we can't do a stadium sharing plan with another London team. Wembley is a bit far away (10 miles on google maps) or that would be a nice stadium to move to.

I've got a question. Why only a 60 000 seater ? Seems a bit small if you compare it with other top teams. Barcelona 99 000, Man united 75 000, Real Madrid 85 000, Ac Milan 80 000, Bayern 70 000.

Shouldn't we go for somewhere around the 80 000 mark maybe a bit more seeing as we'd have the newer stadium ?

I think if we even go for the 60,000 seater we'll have trouble filling it unless ticket prices are drastically dropped and it's easier getting to the stadium. I'm tired of SB being full of tourists and old people with 0 vocal support.

I've got a question. Why only a 60 000 seater ? Seems a bit small if you compare it with other top teams. Barcelona 99 000, Man united 75 000, Real Madrid 85 000, Ac Milan 80 000, Bayern 70 000.

Shouldn't we go for somewhere around the 80 000 mark maybe a bit more seeing as we'd have the newer stadium ?

Simple answer is we wouldn't fill it. We dont have the fanbase and won't for a long time. We have a large international fanbase but in London we are outnumbered by arsenal. Considering we couldn't fill Stamford bridge this season for quite a few games it would be an embarrassment having such a massive stadium we couldn't fill. Europa league we were getting gates of less than 28 000 for example.

The question is whether we can fill a 80,000 seats stadium most of the time like those teams do? Filling a 60,000 seats stadium will already be a challange and a half-empty stadium is always combined with costs.

The question is whether we can fill a 80,000 seats stadium most of the time like those teams do? Filling a 60,000 seats stadium will already be a challange and a half-empty stadium is always combined with costs.

55-60K seems about right, 80K would be way too much unless we brought in safe-standing and drastically lowered ticket prices..

Simple answer is we wouldn't fill it. We dont have the fanbase and won't for a long time. We have a large international fanbase but in London we are outnumbered by arsenal. Considering we couldn't fill Stamford bridge this season for quite a few games it would be an embarrassment having such a massive stadium we couldn't fill. Europa league we were getting gates of less than 28 000 for example.

Thanks for the replies.

Didn't think we'd have that much trouble filling it.

I don't know i would just have build a 80 k stadium and then just close of the highest tier when playing against smaller teams and definitely lower the ticket prices to boost attendance.

But it probably wouldn't have looked so good with the highest tier being empty.

^Emirates is dead for over an hour of the game

Fans closer to the action like the Bridge now. about 60-65k will be fine but if they can fit in more safely/introduce safe ground-level standing areas, then great!

I think there is enough Chelsea fans in and around London/home counties let alone up and down the country to fill a 60,000 stadium,the trouble is they don`t go to watch Chelsea for one reason or another.

Does this mean that Fulham Broadway will have to change his name to West Kensington or Earls Court? :ph34r:

Fulham Broadway will still be the connecting tube station I think.

And Earls Court doesn't have a good ring to it